What kind of spider is this?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by jordan89, Apr 16, 2012.

1. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Ok, so I have a fear of spiders. I have found two spiders in my house like this. Is this a brown recluse? Or something else? I've tried to Google this but they(brown spiders) all look the same to me. I know the brown recluse isn't native to my area but I moved from Tallahassee, FL last summer.

ForumRunner_20120416_014459.jpg

ForumRunner_20120416_014540.jpg

2. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Don't worry, it's not a brown recluse. Looks like a wolf spider but i'm not certain about that.

3. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Phew! Not that a brown recluse would kill me but I'd hate to lose my trigger finger due to necrosis or something. Haha

4. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

I know what you mean. I wouldn't worry about what you got there, looked them up and that's definitely a wolf, as long as it's not a south american breed a bit of pain is the worst you'll get from a bite. Long as you're not allergic anyway lol

5. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Sorry, I couldn't tell you what that spider is. But e sure to have your bite checked out.

I was bit by an unknown spider last year during a canoe trip. At first I thought it was a mosquito bite because it was a small red dot that just kept itching.
    2 days later I had a baseball sized lump on my leg that needed immediate medical attention.
    The lump had to be cut open and drained of fluid. After multiple injections and painkillers, I was told I had Mersa and a staph infection. According to the doctor, whatever it was that bit me was venomous but not powerful enough to kill me, but the venom could have started to eat at my skin and tissue.
    I will never underestimate an insect again.

6. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Not the best picture, but this is the day after the bite occurred. The black circle is magic marker my wife had drawn around the initial swelling. She said that if it had swelled outside that circle, I'd be going to the hospital... it blew up the next day.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Shihan is our resident insect expert.

8. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Well I wasn't bit. I just act like a wimpy girl when it comes to spiders.

Those pics looked pretty gruesome! I try to play it safe. I always check my shoes and such....

I just was trying to bring peace to myself by trying to determine what was crawling around my house lol

Sorry for the confusion lol

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  9. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I'm gonna PM him and have him look lol

10. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

ah,.. you mentioned losing a finger so I assumed you were bit. Sorry
    Sorry about that too.. I forgot to shave my legs that day... oh.. umm.. nevermind.

11. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Lol I was just playing out a worst case scenario. I admit it was a little confusing.

How long did your bite take to heal up?

12. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

The swelling was gone after it was drained. The redness and pain stuck around about a month.
    I was actually surprised how painful it was, almost like my shin had a fracture. Not something I'd like to go through again. It left a scar about the size of a dime.

13. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Wow that is nuts! That's a long time for a bug bite to heal.

14. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Im sure it was more because of the infection. Staph infections can be deadly if not cared for in time.
    Plus the area of the bite was near the base of my shin. Constantly walking and bending of my foot probably kept agitating it and prolonging the healing.

15. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

True. I forgot you mentioned the infection. I knew a guy that had MRSA he had to go get an IV treatment once or twice a day for two weeks! That would suck...as you know. Lol

16. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Fortunately I didn't need that much treatment. 30 days of antibiotics and keeping clean bandages did the trick. I am lucky enough to have a nurse for a wife. Lol. I just couldn't get her to wear a nurses outfit for me. :(

17. winds-of-change

That's okay. I think a naked nurse would be much more fun. ;)

18. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Lol. I didn't get that Lucky either. When ever I get injured or sick, she treats me as if I am one of her patients. She takes the role very seriously.

Like my situation right now. I am currently out on workmans comp due to a "lumbar strain" and possible herniated disc in my back. She gives me my medication at specific scheduled Times, I have to shift my weight and move every so many specific minutes so I don't get stiff and muscles tighten up.. but I also cant get her to give me a sponge bath either :( ...but im still working on that :D

19. RJMercer

RJMercer New Member

Hey Jordan89, That looks to me like a common black American tarantula. Not venemous enough that I am aware of to do anything but hurt like hell to an adult. Just to be safe I would scoop up the remains of that critter and get it to an exterminator for a positive ID and double check the possibility of it being venemous. Advise the exterminator that this monster took a bite out of you. I know, it sounds like a hassle, but better safe than get necrotizing fasciitis.

20. winds-of-change

It didn't bite him. He just ran and screamed like a little girl. Shihan will be along here soon to help with this spider. He is a professional when it comes to bugs. He is an exterminator extraordinaire. :D

I can't tell you what kind of spider it is but I'd bet my bottom dollar it's a male by the shape of it's body.