what kind of rifle is this?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by turkeyhunter72, Mar 17, 2010.

1. turkeyhunter72

turkeyhunter72 New Member

can anybody give me any info on what kind of rifle this is.....bought it at a yardsale and the guy could'nt give much info on it...just said he bought it several yrs ago and never shot it....it has the numbers 287 on the barrel with a star and some kind of symbol inside the star....the butt plate says white line pachmaur gun works.....the stock also has a black diamond shape inlay on it

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If you rub a little corn starch in the stamps it would make them visible.

3. turkeyhunter72

still not much better huh?

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Anyway we can get better pictures?

The back of the bolt looks like a Jap type 38 or type 99. But I have never seen a lefty of either one.

pachmaur gun works is the maker of the recoil pad or butt plate.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Are you taking the pics in a mirror? It does look to be a Jap action, but can't say 100%

6. turkeyhunter72

nah,took em with a webcam....wife will be home afterwhile and i'll take some with her camera and post them

7. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Depending on how a webcan is set up it will reverse pictures. It is a sporterized Japanese Arisaka.

8. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

The "knob" end of the bolt in the very fuzzy photo looks like an Arisaka Type 99, Japanese WW2 battle rifle. The "knob" is also the safety selector.

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

10. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Looks like one of the type 38 Jap rifles that a lot of folks were rechambering back in the day.. I agree with tango. Need better pictures to be certain. Intersting the bolt handle is a lefty..

11. Fast Ed

Fast Ed New Member

Looks like an Arisaka to me, too. Especially since you mentioned the flower. Jap rifles had a Chrysanthemum engraved on the receiver. Many had it ground off after WWII and if yours still has it, a collector may be interested.

Fast Ed