What kind of point do you like?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by cpttango30, Mar 17, 2009.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Ok what kind of point to you all like on your everyday use pocket knives.

I prefer a clip or drop point. I have never been into the tanto or some of the other goofy looking points. I like the drop and clip point because they are easy to sharpen and look the best to me.

So lets hear it what do you like and why?

2. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Drop points and spear points are probably the most versatile designs out there, but my favourites for almost everything are the sheepfoot and wharncliffe blades. I just love how they look, they are the easiest blade shapes to sharpen (just a straigh edge!) and they are quite handy for my daily tasks (both at the farm and in urban settings).

The only thing I don't use them for is dressing game, I prefer something with more belly (like a nice drop point).

I switch my EDC knives almost daily, so I use a variety of blade shapes and so far clips, drop points, spear points, wharnnies and sheepfoots (sheepfeet?) have all worked well for me. I'm not a fan of tantos (especially the americanised tantos like Cold Steel makes).

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

It bears pointing out that the "modern" Tanto design that is angled off is an American take on the traditional Japanese Tanto, which was a sweeping curve much like the blades of the Katana and Wakisashi.

The first picture is the American Version

The second picture is the more Traditional Version

I like a spear point, but I also have several with an American Tanto point and find that design to be quite effective for stabbing/thrusting into objects.

JD

Attached Files:

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I can see your point about the stabbing and thrusting with the tanto blade. But I am not stabbing nor am I thrusting when I pull out my knife during the day. most of the time I am opening a package or something along that line.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yeah. Me too. Although the pointed end of the American Tanto is good for getting into junk mail quickly. :D

6. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

[​IMG]

I would have to stick with what I know and love. The K-BAR knife.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Tanto and what ever that other one is???

[​IMG]

8. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

i like tanto style blades. thats a nice kershaw there cane. i find the tanto point to be exsquisite at opning packages. just poke a small hole insert the point and slide right through the material.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Thanks death, IMHO Kershaw's are the best sub-100$ mass-produced knives in the market. Each knife has a born-on date.

And, MADE IN THE USA!

[​IMG]

10. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

i had one but i think my brain farted one day and i sold it... dumba$$

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I got a few, along with some CRKTs: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Nice lookin corvett you got there Cane.

13. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Hey....i see one of mine in there ;)

[​IMG][/IMG]

these were the easiest to get to, so they'll have to do for now.

Slo ;)

14. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I prefer a razor blade point. I work construction, so thats what I'm used to. I have a work knife, and a carry knife. I mostly use it to open stuff or to pick out splinters. Its nice having a REALLY sharp blade all the time, and not have to worry about the blade getting dull.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  15. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

i posted this one in the ar forum, should be here...

[​IMG][/IMG]

kind of big, but do-able if you wear real BAGGY pants. just don't be in a hurry to pull them out, you could get a new nickname out of that deal....Stubz ;)

Slo

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Thanks tango, it's the #3 C5-R CORVETTE driven by Dale, Dale Jr., Andy Pilgrim and Kelly Collins at the Rolex 24 HOURS OF DAYTONA in 2001. That was two weeks before Dale died in the 500.

[​IMG]

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, since this has become Show Us Your Blades - and before Francisco gets back to embarass all of us....

Got my:

Presidio 5000
    Mission Knives Titanium Folder
    Microtech CMXT5
    Mercworx Saevus
    Sog Night Vision
    Mercworx Laeches
    Microtech Halo III

Attached Files:

18. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I'm a steel snob, so I'm not a big fan of CRKT's (why would they go with stuff like AUS6 or AUS4!), but I do like Kershaws a lot. They've got some very well made knives, manufactured in the US, for the same price as Benchmade red line knives (made in China or Taiwan) or Spyderco's Chinese made Byrds.

Storms, Skylines, Cyclons and Leeks fly off the shelves at my store, I just can't stock enough. The designs are very well thought out, and they appeal to people who wouldn't usually be atracted to knives.

My favourite is the Leek with S30V blade and G10 handle, and the Gentleman's Lockback which is a real sleeper in their lineup. It's the smoothest, tightest fitting mass produced lockback I've owned. The VG-10 blade is fantastic and the thin micarta handle slabs make it very pocket friendly. And it costs $75! Kershaw Gentleman's Folder, Micarta Handle, Plain Edge, Leather Sheath

19. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I'm with you, I like regular knives but for me to carry one I'd have to resharpen it almost daily. I prefer to carry a knife with a removable razor blade. I also have the need to dig out splinters with something sharp. I do carpentry jobs on the side to help make extra money so having something that can cut an asphalt shingle is a plus. Wear out the blade, throw it away and get another one.

20. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

hey JD whats that knife in the top right?:eek: im in love:D also i like that bottom one maybe the halo III. cane luv the display there, very classy:cool: