What kind of gun is this

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Rcbroberg, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Rcbroberg

Rcbroberg New Member

Not the best pics, anyone know what year/model this is

ForumRunner_20120120_183619.jpg

Attached Files:

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

To my untrained eye, looks like an old springfield rifle, possibly civil war era.

Get some better pics, we have a member who seems to be an expert in everything, I'm sure he could probably tell you for sure.

3. Rcbroberg

Rcbroberg New Member

Thanks, will do, have then up soon

4. Rcbroberg

Rcbroberg New Member

Let me know if there is a specific photo you need, on the barrel there is a 87, there is also a stamp on the plate next to the hammer, can't read it though. Shes in pretty rough shape

ForumRunner_20120120_204033.jpg

Attached Files:

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

C3shooter is the guy I'm talking about, if he doesn't come across this thread and chime in, give him a PM.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Hawg is much better with the charcoal burners than I am. Do not think it is a Civil War vintage Springfield- rear sling swivel was usually at front of trigger guard. Carbines had them on the toe of the stock.

Pictures- need well lighted, close up, macro. Lot of pixels.

7. Rcbroberg

Rcbroberg New Member

Yeah, im getting better pics tomorrow. The 87 on the barrel, was thinking 1787 is that to early? There is no rifling on the barrel

8. Rcbroberg

Rcbroberg New Member

Although I cleaned about a cup of rust and dirt from the barrel

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

I think 1787 is much too early, possibly 1887, IF that number even refers to a date. It very well could be a proof mark of some type.

And it could either be a musket, or the rifling could be in that cup of rust you cleaned out of it. :)

Oh, by the way, in case you happen to be thinking about it... Don't shoot it.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The percussion cap dates from 1839. 1787 would have been a flintlock, and those have a distinct appearance when converted to caps. More likely a serial number, date would have been on lock.

11. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 New Member

Thew trigger guard is not like any Springfiled I have seen. Is it smoothb ore or rifled and what is the bore size. What little I can tell is it looks like maybe an English Enfield or a French musket but then the pictures are not great ((I am a poor one to discuss pictures being mine turn out like a 6 month old took them). I would clean it up throughly but in tat do not take ANY of teh finish off and then lookk for any and all markings. Clear pictures of all markings, over all length, LOP, bore size, rifled or smooth, and ANYTHING that you see that could be of use should be posted. Once that is done I am sure it can be nailed down as to what it is.

Now I am by no means an expert but have been shootging BP guns (mainly flinters) since the mid 1970s. I shoot a lot of flintlocks from the Rev War era but have shot and own several percussion guns. I also do Rev War reenactments as a part time hobby (too many hobbies to call it a full hobby). I am a BP section mod on another onlime gun forum and if I can help you I will but if not, might know just who can.

12. paintsplat

paintsplat New Member

looks like an old shotgun, brl looks to thin to be rifle or musket. just guessing

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

First, I scrolled through the photo but I'd start going down the European path, i.e. a CW era Lorenz, something Belgian perhaps...