What kind of gun is this? **Please Help**

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by 1989zay, Sep 21, 2011.

1. 1989zay

1989zay New Member

This gun was given to me by my late grandfather and im not to versed in firearms. I was hoping someone could tell me what type of gun this is and its value. Thanks to anyone that can help me out i appreciate it :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Zay- that is a "top break" revolver. Do not have enough detail in the pics to tell you a lot- Possibly a Harrington & Richardson brand. What are the markings on the revolver? You know- little squiggly lines called words??? :rolleyes:

And get us some good, sharp, in focus pictures.

PS- welcome to the forum- when you get a moment, stop over by the intro thread and say howdy.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

ZAY,

We will need a closer picture of the insignia at the top of the pistol grip if possible!

There should also be writing on the rib on top of the barrel. I have two similar pistols from my grandfather. They are not worth that much but certainly are as keepsakes! Mine are Iver Johnson's.
    Give us a few good pictures of the design! What caliber is it labeled!

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I seen an old S&W just like this one a few days ago when me and my wife went and visited her grandparents

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I don't know why, but I just love top-break revolvers.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

OK lets guess because we don't have enough info. If you look at the cylinder there is no positive stop for the bolt(cylinder lock). I can almost make myself see an owl's head on the grip. The two grip screws are some what uncommon. My guess is Iver Johnson. Value would be $50 to $125.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Hiwall- good eyes, and good call- when I blow the top pic up 400%, there is indeed an owl's head at the top- so at least the GRIPS are Iver Johnson! :p

8. 1989zay

1989zay New Member

Thanks for all your guys help in helping me identify the type of gun this is i really appreciate it.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Is it a five shot?

I think its an Eastern Arms Co. top break revolver made for Sears by Iver Johnson.

10. jonathan louis

jonathan louis New Member

h&r

Most likely it is Harrison and richardson top break away in 22 rirle