What kind of Camo do you use?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by cpttango30, Oct 8, 2009.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I tried to take a look but it says their site is down until tomorrow. I'm been using mossy oak break up, it blends in very well where I hunt. Hardwood may be a little better once the leaves come off but I can't afford to buy 2 of everything and the break works well in both. I'll give it a look once the site is back up. Thanks Tango.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I personally think the exact brand/pattern of camo is much less important for hunting animals (colorblind) as breaking up the human outline is. All the new & better patterns coming out all the time is somewhat of a gimmick to sell more camo clothes. Having said that I bowhunt (turkey/deer/elk) while wearing 1 of my ghillie suits-real handmade 1s,not store bought crap.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I agree with you Bear. That was the one reason for my choosing the pattern I did.

Predator Extreame did a test and it faired rather well for my condition for a yote. If a yote can't see you then ain't no deer gonna see me's either.

Spitten check the second link it is to bass pro shops

5. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I have to tell you that camo is my favorite color. I agree with Bear that the most important aspect of concealment form animals is breaking up your outline. I always where a different camo pattern on my lower half of my body than I do on the upper half. My wife complains about how I don't match but I'm not trying to make a fashion statement.

I find that scent control is by far the most important aspect when hunting. I don't buy into those pricey scent blocker clothing but use no scent detergent and body and hair wash. I seal my hunting clothes in airtight bag between washings. If I'm concerned about odors I roll around in wet leaves and dirt before I enter a particular hunting area.

I never where my rubber boots or hunting clothing anywhere except in the woods. You can pick up a lot of odors in restaurants and at gas stations. If you smell like bacon or ethel your busted.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Camo? Depends. When I was part of the green machine, a walk in the woods was camo everything, including putting on my war paint.

Mainly I now look at deer hunting (altho I have a friend that is a big time goose hunter, and I cannot describe all of their camo). One of the concerns HAS to be getting capped by another hunter, so I usually leave the ghillie suit in the back of the closet. And VA DOES mandate blaze orange for hunters in gun season.

I believe that turkeys see in color- and very well- but deer see outlines, and more importantly, they see MOVEMENT. Present a human shape upright, they alert right away- especially if it moves. Much of my hunting is now still hunting (ambush) with a rifle. Can't use a tree stand- and sitting or prone is out due to broomstraw that grows about 24 inches tall.

My compromise has been a collapsible chair, a roll of 550 cord, and 10 ft length of woodland camo pattern cheesecloth, 3 feet wide- and an orange vest. Pick my spot where I am not skylighted, good field of view, set up chair (shooting stick/s optional) and run the 550 cord between two trees about 3 feet forward of me, 3 ft off ground. Cheesecloth attaches to 550 cord w/ banker clips. I am now sitting behind camo that breaks up half my outline, I am lower than a standing man, it shields movement of my feet. legs, arms and rifle (in my lap) from view. I am also in the steadiest shooting position I can use- and pretty darn comfortable. Much better than butt on cold, damp ground.

Scent control is also important- note wind direction, use unscented soap on self and hunting clothes, can use masking scent- or just eat an apple (leave the peeling!:rolleyes:)

Have tried a sniper's veil, but except for turkey, has not really seemed to make a difference. If you can sit STILL, have had bucks walk with 20 meters of me while I was with bare face, ball cap, orange vest. Had a doe walk close enuff one day that I could have slapped her butt with my ball cap.

Each year, we have a few young hunters that sit with back against tree, doze off, and wake up to find deer looking at them from 30 feet away. I am convinced it was because when they are sleeping, they were holding still.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

This works best for me:

image002.jpg

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Looks like pretty good stuff tango. I also agree with bear and C3. The deer I just took last week stood there and looked at me for a good 5 minutes, while smelling the air(wind in my favor) and listening. I know she could tell somethng was different about the tree I was in but after finding it not to be a threat she moved into my shooting lane and made the mistake of turning her head back toward the tree line.
    Shortly after that I took for a ride in my truck.

9. bobbyb13

bobbyb13 New Member

Well I have it rough. Back porch, Old 30-06. Shoot, ride truck, skin, cook eat.I got more frigging deer than cattle.

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

well sounds like you need a guy living on your back porch to help thin them out.

I can cook and cook good too.

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Can you see me? :)

Attached Files:

12. OlPainless

OlPainless New Member

In case you were wondering the sub 2000 is for full-on semi auto fire when I drive up next to bambi, then after i've grazed a leg (it's hard to aim sideways out a car window) and run out of ammo I finish the little bugger off with the 35 lb plate. Afterwards my battle cry of "Thug life my nizticles!" is let loose and I celebrate with my favorite beverage, one third of a can of warm PBR.

Attached Files:

13. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I like the look of the Natural Gear camo, should work well.
    I prefer the lightercolored, more open pattern camo's like the NatGear
    I think they help break up your outline better than darker patterns which I think tend to make you look like a big dark blob from a distance.

Been wearing realtree camo for years cause of the lighter/open pattern and availability in my area, not due to any brand loyalty.
    That and it pi$$es off my buddies who are MossyOak snobs!

14. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

I use Mossy Oak Break Up

15. res45

res45 New Member

I wear German Fleck camo I got this NEW parka with liner and matching pants for less than $50

[​IMG]

16. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Jeans and a T-shirt. If it gets cold enough maybe a quilted plaid shirt.:D

17. toolman

toolman New Member

Really makes no difference since I'm forced to hunt from a blind now(and it's a really nice blind), but, just in case, I use Mossy Oak Brush, which works great in our area.