what kind of ammo do you shoot in your AR's?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Wi_Hunter556, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Wi_Hunter556

Wi_Hunter556 New Member

Hey guys, wondering what kind of ammo you guys shoot through your ar's. Id like to start bulking up on ammo for shtf purposes and I'm a firm believer of quality before quantity. I have a DD and only shot brass cases through it, would steel be rough on it? I've been thinking about getting an ak so I can bulk up on ammo because tula and wolf is quite cheaper. What do you guys think? Should I just keep saving pennies and buy brass ammo to store or go with steel? Or what about the coated steel?

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. –Samuel Adams

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have been shooting Wolf and Golden Bear ruski steel cased ammo through my Colt 6940 for 2+ years with no issues.

Tell you what, keep shooting the expensive brass ammo and leave the steel ammo for me. :eek:

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i load my own. cheaper than buying wolf

4. g23shooter

g23shooter New Member

I have 350 rounds of Blackhills ammo in 69 grain for my 1:8 twist and 1000 in hard ball federal 55 grain cheap FMJ . I have often wondered on the steel case ammo my self as the price is cheap, so I am interested in the answers you receive. I do believe that the ballistics on the BH is very good and should offer one shot stops on human targets if necessary, as long as there is no heavy armor. They are OBT with canular crimp offers stability of the bullet in the case when battered back and forth in the magazine when firing. I bought this federal 55 grain because of price and it does go bang, I would not want to get hit with either one.

5. Wi_Hunter556

Wi_Hunter556 New Member

I'm hoping to talk my brother into go halves for a progressive press. I got all the equipment in the basement and I should really start reloading.

I'll keep my options open and maybe some testing this weekend

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. –Samuel Adams

6. theboarbuster

theboarbuster New Member

Cheap ammo, lots of cheap ammo. My guns cant get enough of Silver Bear, Golden Bear and BVAC:D

7. frostyone

frostyone New Member

A Daniel defense should eat any ammo you can find. I would buy some wolf or Tula or any other cheap stuff you can find. Start with a box or 2 to make sure it functions and if it does then start stocking up.

8. littlejimmy

littlejimmy New Member

I shoot mostly Tula steel case ammo through my AR and my AK. Never had a problem.

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I shoot steel, Tula and Wolf. I will admit i have decided not to shoot steel out of the SS barrel. It is going to be my 3Gun rig for now. The CHF and chrome lined barrels will continue to be fed steel though.

10. Wi_Hunter556

Wi_Hunter556 New Member

Haha yeah cheap would be nice, its hard to afford buying ammo.

And to load 1000 myself would cost around 465.00 with cci primers, winchester bullets, remington brass, and accurate 2230

Can you shoot steel in 3gun? I'm looking to get into 3gun this summer.

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Not on steel targets unless you want to buy them.

12. Wi_Hunter556

Wi_Hunter556 New Member

I'm sorry, I meant steel cased ammo.

What type of bullets do you use? HP's, softs, I don't want to seem dumb but what about frangibles? I know at some shooting courses they want you to use frangibles for rifle and pistols.

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Tula and wolf here FMJ and HPs , I have ran some remington FMJ thru it but they didnt shoot that well in the accuracy dept

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I no longer shoot steel in my AR's but that's an opinion. After 10 years my Bushmaster upper began having issues. It would fire and eject but not strip a fresh round from the mag causing it to close on an empty chamber. After eliminating the gas system "possible short stroke", and the mags as possible factors I put a micrometer on the lower bolt lug. I don't have the measurements with me now but it was significantly more worn than the other lugs. I also tried it with new gas rings and had the same problem. Reaplacing the bolt did the trick.

However, this bolt had fired over 10k rounds of which about 60% were steel. This could quite simply have been the life expectancy of the bolt but I also believe the steel cases contributed to additional wear.

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I had a worn bolt in a rifle with over 10k through it, it must be the ammo ;). Just giving you crap. It sounds like you got a good amount of life out of that bolt.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

99 percent reloads. 55 grain Remington bullets (M193 ball) Remington 7 1/2 primers and H335 (or 2230) powder.

I've also shot quite a bit of Wolf steel case with no problems.

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Mostly steel here too. I'm happy with it and keep buying when the price is right.

18. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Yeah, it served well. I really did not expect the new bolt to work. Just could not believe that it could be so simple but I slapped it into the original bolt carrier and ba bing. Right back to zero malfunctions.

I did buy a complete reacement upper anyway, mostly because I was sick of the muzzle brake on my bushy.

So now I've got that Old bushy as an extra upper and am thinking of building a pistol AR with it. Wonder if I can get a pistol barrel in something fat, like a .50 B Wolf?:cool:

Tack

19. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

I role my own. Different loads for different weapons. They will all interchange for the most part. I do make some special stuff for selected weapons, my 1 in 14 twist bolt doesn't like long bullets. But in a pinch, all's fair.

20. DKEnterprises

DKEnterprises New Member

I like the 69 grain Nosler custom comp bullets with cci 450 primers and 23.7 grains of Ramshot powder