What kind if spider.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by 94browninghunt, May 30, 2012.

1. 94browninghunt

94browninghunt New Member

Freaked me out because I was less than 4 inches away from it. Then took a pic and kicked it dead with my boot. There aren't any poisonous ones around northern IL but here's a pic:
    to give a scale: the tile is 4-5 inches wide and 9-11 inches long

Is it poisonous? Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Appears to be a wolf spider. I am certainly not an expert (Shihan is). The abdomen looks a bit more rounded than what I am used to seeing though. They are venomous (as are almost all spiders), but not particularly dangerous to most people.

3. m72law

m72law New Member

it sure is pretty:D

i have no idea what kind it is,but wouldnt it really suck if spiders could fly?:eek:

4. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

It's a venomous species found worldwide known as a 'Scytodidae' or spitting spider. How close, exactly, were you?

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

We get these all the time

20120527_221744-1.jpg

6. RJMercer

RJMercer New Member

Is that a mimic of the fiddleback? I've got those all over that look just like yours MrWray. I seriously thought I might have fiddlebacks.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Wolf spiders are pretty common damn near everywhere. You might get a lump if it bites you.

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

No mimic, its a fiddle back. We get them all the time

9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

You don't have to worry about them after you stomp them into oblivion........

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

As they have advised it is a Fiddleback!
    It is not a Wolf Spider.

11. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

Yep.

Just be glad it wasn't a recluse. Most people say they get you before you even know they are there and take off. One got my dog last summer, his snout still misses some fur.

Attached Files:

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

I got got by one once. It was miserable.

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Fiddleback - Recluse same same. That is one dang big brown recluse. I ahve only seen a couple and they were much smaller.

14. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

Definitely looks like a Brown Recluse / Fiddleback / whatever the hell you guys call 'em.

Wolf Spiders are kinda fuzzy and look like this.

[​IMG]

15. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

That is most certainly a brown recluse.

They tend to gather where silverfish populations are high. Silverfish are attracted to, and eat, cardboard, paper, Kraft facing on insulation and drywall.

Eliminate the paper products, eliminate the pests.

Residual insecticides kill pests through ingestion while the insect is grooming itself. Spiders rarely clean themselves, therefore pesticides aren't the best means of control.

Pheromone scented glue traps are the most effective. Place in dark corners, behind appliances, etc. Leaving lights on will keep them in hiding .. but affects the wallet.

16. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I am confused as to which spider needs identifying. A brown recluse can not be identified by the violin shaped marking alone. What area of the country was the spider in? How many eyes and what pattern are they in? Many recluse have been musidentified due to fear.

17. 94browninghunt

94browninghunt New Member

Shihan, this spider was at my house in the storage/shed outside of the house. so, its in the suburbs of Chicago, about 30 mins away from the city. I dont remember pattern or anything. But its "butt" was a little of a paler brown hue than the front head. I was in my paintballing gear so i was fine, it was by my boot that come up till mid shin. oh and it had two eyes on the side,and two eyes in the center kinda like this -_ _ - each of the dash is an eye that was circular not a dash. and i could see little fangs.\

thank you for the website paintsplat

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  18. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

I really do not think it is a recluse. Why? The females (the ones that make webs) don't go out and about, so that rules out a female. The males are always on patrol, no webs. If you go that close to a recluse, its going to bite you or at least take off. It is not going to pose for a Polaroid.

something like 90% of spiders identified as recluse spiders are incorrect according to nat geo wild.

19. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I thought the recluse was nocturnal. We have them here, as we have caught several of them in the 'sticky traps' we put out, but have never seen one in daylight.