What is your way you Clean your Gun?????

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by CAMCHAMPION1988, Sep 14, 2011.

1. CAMCHAMPION1988

CAMCHAMPION1988 New Member

Hi i am always interested in hearing how people Clean their guns no matter if they are

Pistols,Revolvers,Shotguns,Rifles what ever Glock or any other Polymere gun or Steel gun 1911 M4 or whatever

MY METHOD
    I always use Ballistol,through the bore with brass rod with brass bore brush then ballistol soaked patches through bore until patches come out white. Then use ballistol on everything else and scrub with a toothbrush then wipe it all away. Then go to town on the gun with Simple Green then rinse it off with water then i use my air compressor to dry the entire gun. Then i Coat the bore and the barrel and the entire gun with CLP Break Free.

I have never encountered any rust and or pitting in the bore on the barrel or anywhere on a gun yet and never hope to never encounter it. But if i do i keep hearing that you need to use a special cleaner to remove bore pitting and or rust is it really necessary?????? Won't Hoppes 9,Ballistol,Gunscrubber or CLP Break Free take care of Rust,Corrosion,pitting anywhere on the gun?????

How do you guys Clean your guns?????

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Not a very refined method, but this is what I do:

• Run a double patch soaked in Hoppe's through the barrel a couple of times first. Let that soak in.
    • Use a brush dipped in #9 on the spring and guide.
    • Use a brush dipped in #9 on the frame and slide.
    • Return to the barrel and run a brass brush through it.
    • Start the process of running double patches through the barrel.
    • If it's really dirty repeat soaked patches and brass brush and then return to dry patches.
    • Use patches to clean slide an frame, by hand.
    • Use cleaning cloth to wipe down spring and guide.
    • Lightly oil the frame and rails, outside of barrel, ramp, and any metal part that shows wear.
    • Reassemble gun.
    • Work the action several times and remove any excess oil on back of slide.
    • Wipe down frame and slide with cleaning cloth.

If I think it's going to be a while before I shoot the gun again, I'll oil the inside of the barrel.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I shoot corrosive ammo through my Mosin Nagant, so I start with a heavy dose of windex through the bore and all over the action, then pretty much go the way Knfxda said, except tailored to the bolt action rifle and revolver. I skip the windex on the revolver.

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Just tried a ..BORESNAKE..for the first time....Not impressed but it did the job...Anybody else use a Bore-snake to clean their guns ???....and how do you like it ???...It's new to me..............

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

I used a bore snake on my M249 all the time, it worked great for me. I would squirt a little issued CLP on the end where the drawstring attached to the main part right in front of the brush and drag it through 2-3 times. left the bore bright and shiny. I decided to run a clean patch through afterward a few times but they kept coming out clean, so I just stuck to the snake.

6. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Otis Elite gun cleaning kit and compressed air for cleaning handguns and rifles. Then after about every 5-6 hand cleanings I will break them all down and use the SharperTek heated ultrasonic handgun Cleaner for a deep cleaning and lube for both handguns and all internal rifle parts, bolt/key carrier assemblies, charging handle, etc. excluding the rifle barrel, too big to fit. :cool:

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

For a quickcleaning ... bore's snake.
    For intensive cleaning I usually use Hoppe's 9
    for barrel cleansing, and Winchester CLP for rest
    of firearm cleaning it thoroughly with Q-tips, patches,
    and clean rag.

8. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Bore snake on my shotgun for sure. Any thing else is a great big PITA! :mad:

9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

10. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Same method I use.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I ask a nephew is he would like to handle a couple of guns. :)

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I spray break free in the barrel and let it sit. I use break free on the other internals while the barrel soaks. Then I dip a nylon bristle brush in Hoppes #9 and run it through the barrel. I use a boresnake to finish up after I'm done.

Also I shoot a lot of lead. Sometimes even pure lead. If I have lead fouling I will take a 38 brush wrapped in a piece of choreboy. I run that through my 45 barrel a few times. It will remove all the lead in just a few seconds. I bought a Colt 1917 that had so much lead build up I thought the rifleing was gone. Did the choreboy trick. In less than 5 minutes the bore looked brand new.

13. culdee

culdee New Member

Not long ago I had an issue with Hoppe's #9 in my S&W 686. I cleaned the pistol after some shooting, reloaded it and put it back in the gunsafe. A week later I got it out and went to jack the rounds out and they wouldn't budge! Panic starts to set in. So I gently knock the ejector rod against a wooden block and slowly the rounds backed out covered in vertigris! evidently there was a little solvent still in the chambers which reacted with the brass cases. Cylinder is OK after scrubbing out the vertigris. Now I have switched from Hoppes back to Shooters Choice (which I had used for years) and I never leave brass case ammo in the cylinder, switched to nickle plated.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

I left a little Hoppes in the chambers of my model 65, didn't mess up the brass casings or the chambers, but the JHP's turned a real cool shade of green :)

15. shadamai

shadamai New Member

My method is about the same as knfxda's. That is pretty much how the instructor at my gun class demonstrated.

16. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Shuden't you use a lite coat of gun-oil after Hoope #9 to prevent rust....At least that's what I always did-do...........:confused:

17. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Too old-fashioned

I guess I'm just too old school for this discussion. Windex? WD-40? WATER??? None of these have ever touched my guns. I only use purpose based chemical products to clean my firearms and nothing that can make them worse than when I started. Hoppe's #9 to break up powder fouling in barrel, action, trigger, canned air to blow out any place I can't reach with brass brush or jig, Break Free CLP for areas that don't need heavy lubrication and Rem-oil for bore, breach, action and anything that is going to be under heavy use. Guns get cleaned after use or once a month without use or packed in Cosmoline and wrapped in wax paper and crated for long-term storage.