What is your sidearm of choice.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Sm3lliot, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

The zombies have risen. Or rule of law has collapsed. Or Putin and his bear mounted cavalry have hit American soil, and it's up to small militias to carry out ambushes and raids to slow them down.
    Whatever scenario you want to draw inspiration from, what's your combat sidearm of choice? What pistol would you pack to get s*** done? (assuming getting s*** done was your final option)

Just curious, have a good one :)

Edit: naturally, your sidearm is going to be there to support a shotgun or rifle.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

3. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

They will come in waves...so revolvers are out. Probably a .40 auto. With plenty of xtra loaded mags. Will need knockdown power + mag capacity.......:D.

4. Warlock999

Warlock999 New Member

sidearms have usually always been weapons of last resort, not the primary weapon for engaging targets if others are available.

i'd settle for a semi-auto rifle or shotgun first.

but, that's just me.

5. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Yea.......And if my Aunt had a ####, she would be my Uncle.....Now...What would you chose for a sidearm....?

6. Warlock999

Warlock999 New Member

either a shotgun or a rifle. better to engage targets at a distance than up close.

reasoning: simple, zombies don't exist, and that is nothing more than childish rubbish to think of such things a real or a threat, when it doesn't exist outside of TV and Hollywood.

if it were and invading army or SHTF event taking place like a collapsed economy or similiar, much better to engage at a safer distance with a rifle. if it were an invading army, up close and multiple targets, they are more than likely going to be armed with semi-auto or fully auto rifles or carbines and going up against that with a sidearm, would be suicide or stupid.

7. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

My apologies, I meant it to be as a backup to a long arm.

8. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

But specifically which .40 auto? Thats the crux of the question here.

9. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

But specifically which .40 auto? Thats the crux of the question here. Despite my less than serious lead in, I'm wondering what full sized handgun you trust with your life.

Dammit, I didnt mean to double post.

10. Warlock999

Warlock999 New Member

simple. something lightweight, high capacity in 9mm and able to use a suppressor if needed.

brand is irrelevant, since most modern polymer pistols are pretty reliable and proven now.

11. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I prefer a 9MM or .45 ACP pistol or .357 Magnum revolver loaded with .38 Special.

I have a Glock 17, a Colt 1911, and several Colt Troopers. All of those are full size pistols. The Glock has a 5" barrel, just like my 1911. All of the Troopers have 6" barrels. Sooner or later here I'm going to buy a Glock 21.

I'd trust my life to a full size Glock, 9MM to .45 ACP and anything in between.

12. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

For me...It would be my S&W SD40. After a trip back to S&W, and a hit/miss break in period, i now have 250 trouble free rounds thru it. It has proven itself to be reliable. All i need now, are a few more xtra mags for my SR556, then i'm ready for Putin...lol, or Zombie's.

13. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I have come to understand that"usually" when someone uses the term "zombie" on this forum, they are referring to people who have failed to prepare for a SHTF situation. These people will most likely come in groups, to kill off people that have prepared, and take their supplies.

14. stag556

stag556 New Member

15. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

16. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

When the bus unloads across the street from the Hospital, at the Methadone Clinic....Now THAT.....looks just like a Zombie invasion you see in the movies......Costumes and all...The chowder heads going to get their free fix.

17. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

I would grab up my Beretta P-9 and or taurus PT-92's

18. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Just hit me...My SD40 probably isn't considered full size....So maybe a GEN4-G22 would do the trick....:D. Been looking at them...eventually one will follow me home....Just not sure if i'm ready to join the "glockie" club yet...I have had so much fun picking on them...they might not even let me in......LOL.

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The Glock club does not care as long as you have money in hand. I bashed Glock for years and they welcomed me with open arms. Ruger sent me to Glock. When Ruger started building Glock clones instead of real Rugers I got a real Glock. I have experienced Hi Power clones. The clones are not as good as a real Hi Power. How could a Glock clone be as good as a real Glock?

20. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

My Glock 23/32/19. It's actually a G23, but I have the 357sig and 40-9mm Lone Wolf barrels...which will minimally fit in my pack and require no further alterations. So I can shoot whatever I've got. A close second is my suppressed Ruger 22/45 MK3. 'The Walking Dead' tells me that any head shot will conquer a zombie, so maybe the suppressed 22lr is ideal.

There are a ton of fine options. Glock is hardly my favorite, but they're easy to set up in a multi-cal format. If you're just taking one handgun, I'd generally lean toward 9mm above all others. Potent enough, utterly common, and high capacity.