What is your preferred 9mm ammo?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by chazzy, Jan 16, 2012.

1. chazzy

chazzy New Member

Trying to get an idea what you all prefer to shoot thru your 9mm.

2. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Just depends...for the range I use a variety of ammo like Remington UMC, Winchester White Box, and I just tried the Winchester SXZ this morning...shot really well out of my G17. While on duty I carry Winchester bonded PDX1 124 +p. Off duty I carry either the same PDX1 or Hornady Critical Defense. I hear great things about the Rangers and my Chief swears by them, so I'll probably be using them pretty soon.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

For the range I'll shoot whatever I have picked up on sale...Winchester White Box, American Eagle, Federal or UMC. For SD either Hornady Critical Defense or Winchester Ranger. Hornady's new Critical Duty looks enticing as well...packs a bit more of a punch than the Critical Defense which is designed not to overpenetrate, the Critical Duty is supposed to be better at defeating barriers and is marketed as a LEO type round similar to the Win Ranger.

4. gollygee

gollygee New Member

For the range, any ball ammo, usually whatever wally world has. The Winchester White Box seems to be a little dirty, but not a big deal. For SD, Federal HST.

5. Riverg420

Riverg420 New Member

For practice any ball ammo is fine I stay away from anything Russian and usually don't use steel case .Carry ammo on the other hand there's a handful of differant brands I use but partial to Winchester Ranger .

6. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

117gr from a local commercial reloader for general hole punching... BUT, he gave me some 147gr to try for target shooting and holy crap is that stuff accurate. Also a bit pricier :)

7. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

147 gr fmj over 3.2gr Titegroup for plinking and gaming.

127gr +p+ and 124gr+p Winchester Ranger.

8. Snowman

Snowman New Member

Anything that's not russian for practice.
    For carry, critical duty, or + p double tap bonded. or anything with a barnes copper bullet, corbon dpx etc...

9. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

Cheap stuff for practice. Critical Defense for carry.

10. Jkl-28

Jkl-28 New Member

When carrying I like federal hydrashock or Remington golden sabers
    But at the range I just use Winchester or PMC

11. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

Target I use anything i get my hands one...... For on duty and off duty, i use Speer Gold Dot 124 +p

12. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

9mm ammo

For the range... Sellier & Bellot. For everyday defense carry HORNADY , HORNADY, and more HORNADY in both 9x19 (for my Ruger P95) and in 9X18 for my Radom P64 Polish shooter. :D

13. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

124gr+P GD bullet loaded by georgia arms

14. Patch Delta

Patch Delta New Member

Hornady 124 gr. +P TAP or Remington Golden Saber 124 gr. +P.

15. Darth AkSarBen

Darth AkSarBen Member

Remington Golden Saber JHP. Expand excelletn every time. Wish I had Winchester Ranger Talons though.

16. JAMESACERRA

JAMESACERRA New Member

9mm loads

Howdy Y'all
    I used cheap 9's for practice and HP's for carry.
    since I started reloading I roll my own as it were.
    Practice is 115 gr. FMJ over HP 38 in Win brass with rem primer.
    Carry is 115 Hornady XTP JHP over HP 38 Win brass and Rem primer.
    Pratice for real I keep my weights the same and my loads close so I'm used to the recoil and flash. Brass is kept for reloading and added to the practice loads/ only new brass is used for carry loads.
    Once my shop is open I'll offer reloading service as well as a company brand.
    if you wish you can visit my site at: ACE'S DUGOUT GUNSMITH
    feel free to make suggestions or point out what you would like to see or a service that may be needed.
    Yours in service
    James Acerra

Attached Files:

17. enbarnes

enbarnes New Member

For practice, cheapest, but preferably not the dirty Russian stuff.
    Carry, Hi-shock (not hydrashock!) -- it is inexpensive and recommended by Ayoob.

18. sharpshot

sharpshot New Member

General practice I use most any cheap ammo excluding the Russian stuff.
    For defensive ammo I am using Speer Gold Dot 124 grain + P in 9mm.
    This in my choice in smaller barrel firearms. (3 1/2" and down).
    In my Ruger P95 I go with the 147 grain variety.
    This is what works for me.

Be safe!

Considering the consequences is never wasted time.

19. kclougherty

kclougherty New Member

I am pretty particular on matching my practice rounds (as opposed to plinking rounds) with defense rounds. I like to match performance. I use 147 gr Speer Lawman as practice, and 147 gr Speer gold dot as defense rounds. The ballistics are basically identical, so all shooting peformance matches up, i.e., felt recoil, shot placement, etc. may be overkill but I prefer this approach over non matched ammo. At the very least make sure your bullet weights are the same, and definitely don't practice with vastly different loads - 115 for practice and 124 +P+ for a defense load! $0.02

20. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Wow, I thought I was a loner carrying Hi-shocks. They're a tried and true round that expands reliably at any velocity. And they are so inexpensive that I can practice with my carry round. For general range shooting, usually go with Federal Champions. Cheapest ammo I can get outside the Russian stuff. $19.95 per 100 at Wally World.