what is your opinion on the magwell hand grips?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ccase39, Mar 15, 2014.

1. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I have had VfGs which I decided quickly I do not like and an AFG which I like better but always go back to holding the rifle at the Mag well while shooting. How well do the grips that attach to the mag well work? Is shooting in this manner a bad habit?

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

ccase,

Nothing wrong with them! As long as the shooter keeps any contact and or pressure off the Magazine while shooting. This could interfere with the weapon's function. In addition the grip should be very secure on the Mag Well lest it interfere with the operation of the Mag Release and functions.

3. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Thanks! Really appreciate that!

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont want to knock you around but holding the magwell is the worst place you can hold a rifle with the offhand other than sticking your hand in a pocket.

a good hold that gives you good control, creates a solid platform, and minimizes sight wobble, is as far forward on the handguard as you can comfortably reach. so unless you got tiny little t-rex arms your hold should be up near the front sight somwhere.

5. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

When I was active duty I never used the mag well as a hand grip. 20 years later I by my first M4 and the first thing I did was use the mag well as my hand grip. The only thing I can figure is while active duty I was always shooting prone or in a fox hole. For me, with my hand on the hand guards where I wanted them the weapon seemed to be floating all over the place. Moved back towards the mag well and I was more consistent. Granted I was shooting standing, kept everything on paper as the scope was not sighted in yet. Personally if it works for you it is not really wrong. I do agree that you do not want to interfere with the magazine as this could cause it to bind and not feed properly.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  6. Gunsnob

Gunsnob New Member

Totally Mall Ninja.

7. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

In my opinion, I usually tell people to do whatever they want, but there are some instances where "do what works for you", can be learning the wrong way. If holding the AR with one hand worked for me no one would recommend it. Learn the best way, or at least one of the top ways, even if it means temporarily losing accuracy to gain long term fundamentals and better shooting. I remember when I first started shooting my pistol. I had a weird teacup grip. It worked, better than the shooter first starting out, because I had practiced it a little bit. Changing to a thumbs forward grip and a isosceles stance was weird and I didn't like it. I gave up short term accuracy and being comfortable for long term fundamentals. Now I'm pinging steel with a 3" barreled 9mm at 100 yards all day long. I'm convinced I'd never have been able to do that had I not learned fundamentals. As far as the mag well grip goes, anything short of a really, really light SBR, for CQB I just don't think is fundamentally sound. And even in those instances is probably not. Learn the correct way. Or at least one of them. You'll be thankful you did. Trust me, coming from someone who learned the hard way too.

8. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Here's my point. How many PGA golfers have a messed up swing? 1? 2? Furyk is all I can really think of. They are fundamentals for a reason. If the mag well grip worked, competitive shooters would all be using it. They don't (at least from what I've seen).

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Mag well grip is a Mall Ninja/video game hold. Terrible weapon retention. Terrible recoil control.

10. Mercator

Mercator New Member

99% certain you will shoot better if you change your grip.

11. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I'm going to. I am a big believer in the philosophy that if you don't develop bad habits in the beginning you don't have to learn how to break them later.
    Sometimes things may feel awkward at first but once you get used to it it is actually easier in the long run
    Like when I try and teach people the correct way to use a chefs knife in a kitchen. Your first instinct is to hold it by the handle like you are shaking hands with it which is wrong. You can cut that way, but it is more dangerous plus it puts more ware on the blade and tires your hand. You are supposed to grab the top of blade between your thumb and forefinger with the handle in your palm. It feels unnatural at first but after practice it makes cutting a lot easier and safer.

12. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

Here is a video from a competition shooter demonstrating using skeletal support. Look where he puts his support hand. If a competition shooter is using the mag area for is grip area and succeeding it must work, at least for him. Granted he is no wrapping his hands around the magwell but he is using the magwell as a support area.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h11HE5Viuuw[/ame]

13. Gunsnob

Gunsnob New Member

Yeah, but the OP is no competitive shooter.

14. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

I may be mistaken, but I don't think his reference to the mag well grip is in this context. I know some sniping in different positions does that ^ kind of thing or something like it. I've seen them kneeling kinda like that.

15. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Watch "Travis Haley on Carbine Grip" on YouTube
    Travis Haley on Carbine Grip: [ame]http://youtu.be/dvkf7Cs43MI[/ame]

Not saying there's no time and place for it, just that 99% of the time there's a better grip.

16. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

I agree that 99% of the time there maybe a better grip. But I believe standing, unsupported it is hard to argue not using the magwell for support. Granted when clearing a room it is better to have a more forward grip to better control the muzzle swing. But when clearing a room you are not worried about longer range accuracy. And there may even be some circumstances that a person may choose a magwell grip for clearing a room.

I still stand by my "If it works for you, use it". I will add that I agree that there may be better ways and it is a god idea to try them. Put a good effort in to trying something different. Now for those that have the opportunity to train consistently you will have a quicker response whether a new grip will work or not. Those of us that do not have that opportunity need to try and make more time to at least try something different, even without shooting, until it is comfortable then try it while shooting to see if it will work for you.

I'm a firm believer that if you hit what you are shooting at consistently there is not much wrong with what you are doing. Granted there is still room for improvement.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

Standing freehand is not going to be accurate with that grip. Look at camp perry vids i dont think you will see anyone break in the top 90% using a ar15 with a magwell grip...

Using the magwell as a rest on a solid object is different than using it as a freehand support. Get a good sling learn to use it and you will be amazed at the increase in accuracy and decrease in group sizes

18. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Magwell grip? Hate it.

Vertical foregrips? Dislike 'em. I sold the VFG (a good one) that came on my DD.

I'm sure there are countless shooters better than myself who will disagree with my stance. And that's just fine. I like the Magpul AFG on a combat/SHTF type rifle. A $40 AFG replaced the $60 Daniel Defense VFG on my DDM4v3, and I considered it an upgrade. And it was, for me. I prefer no front grip on a varmint/range/precision setup. Buy what works for you. None of my likes/dislikes should dramatically shape your preferences. When it comes to ARs, pistols, or almost any firearm for that matter...personal preference always sits atop of the list of 'must haves'.

That oddball thought above in bold and blue...it's highlighted in that manner for a reason. While it's sort of a generic thought, I feel it'll generally steer you in the right direction. Plenty of folks will tell you what works for them. That's great. There's some value in that information. But what works for you will always matter far more.