What Is Your Minimum Capacity

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Trunk Monkey, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I’m very comfortable with 8 in my Kimber UltraRaptor and an 8 round spare mag if I’m out and about all day. But I’m also very comfortable with my S&W Model 60 and 5 rounds of the right .38 spl for a quick trip to the food store. I know what I can do with 5 rounds, and I know my limitations.

JRDallas likes this.
  2. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

the following observations are perfectly obvious when applied to arguments between other people; less so when applied to an argument you are in:

1)
    [​IMG]
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

2) arguing is idiotic. ergo, all arguments are with an idiot.

3) arguments are never "about". arguments are "between". If two people are arguing about something, those same two people would be arguing about something else if the subject had not come up.

4) one of the people in an argument had a parent or authority figure who would always back them up in an argument. that is the instigator, agitator and pot stirrer. they are trying to relive that past, and too dense to understand that it's gone forever, or their rules only work in one environment, and you are not in that environment.

5) clueless people use the term "friction" to describe the root cause of argument. this is erroneous. friction dissipates energy as heat. the problem is not a loss of energy. the problem is that some fool brings energy to the argument to keep it going. that is the person who had a parent or authority figure who would always back them up in an argument.

6) there is, in reality, one argument in the universe: "you have to do what I tell you because I am the boss over you. so there!" all argument is an attempt by one humanish being to assert dominance and control over another human being.

7) there is one counterargument to the one argument in the universe, in the USA:

[​IMG]

ergo, I am the boss over me, everyone else is the boss over themselves, and the argumentative twit is the boss over shut the flock up, fool.

8) argument itself is a mechanism of control. if I drag you into an argument, while you are arguing with me you are doing what I want you to do: argue.

the only way to win an argument is:

1) prerequisite: the people that matter in your environment have to understand and accept the statements above as reality.

2) the only way to win is not to play. do not play the game. there is no referee. there are no rules. there is no prize. nobody is keeping score. there is no "all entries must be received by" date. ergo, it is never over. it's a fools game. if you play, the instigator, agitator and pot stirrer wins.

3) just don't react. if you don't react, the other person must bring energy to sustain the argument. if the people that matter in your environment are aware of this and paying attention, the other guy loses.

you win by not playing, if those around you understand. argument is theater.

I have one more fool on my lengthy ignore list as a result of this thread, and other threads he has participated in, and I guarantee you that he thinks the other guy is the fool.

the new guy on my ignore list is not the instigator, agitator and pot stirrer in this thread. that guy is already on my ignore list. I can't see what he's saying, until somebody quotes him. in my experience if someone quotes someone on my ignore list, they always quote something that demonstrates why that guy is on my ignore list.

my longest ignore list is at a ham radio website. the place is crawling with obsessive snots who are waiting to pounce on a person who transposed the 101 and 102nd decimal point in pi.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020

3. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Guest

shame this place would be blank & boring if all those on each other's ignore list discussed something of import.

Mercator likes this.
  4. Ingramite

Ingramite Well-Known Member Supporter

At a point in my life it was a six shooter with two 6 round dump pouches.
    This was before the days of body armor in one of the most dangerous urban areas in America. Policing public housing projects. Running into danger, not away from it.

I made it out alive carrying a .38spl revolver.

Today, I lead a much different life. I no longer run into danger.

The tactic remains unchanged though.
    Two into critical body mass and one head shot.
    So, it would seem that anything over three rounds is excess weight to pack around.

5. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

If you eliminated the " two to the body " shots and simply used one head shot to the cranial vault , you'd have no need to carry more than one round . I'm just using your logic here LOL .

formerCav and Ingramite like this.
  6. Ingramite

I've owned a couple of single shot pistols who were cleverly disguised as semi-automatics. Not for long though.

Centerliner likes this.
  7. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Ammo waster.

Ingramite likes this.
  8. Rentacop

Correction ! Those must have been " pump-action " pistols .

I've had a pistol that gave worse odds than the state lottery ( AMT Backup ) . I carried it until I found the trigger had fallen off in my pocket , making it the safest gun I ever had .

Centerliner and Ingramite like this.
  9. Ingramite

Yes, I too polished an AMT Backup turd but could never get it to shine....or work.

10. Oaktree45

Oaktree45 Well-Known Member

When I feel I need to be armed I carry a small .380 with 6 rounds which in my mind is more than enough. I have an honest question for those who carry 10, 15, or even more rounds in an extra clip or speed loader. In what scenario do you see yourself needing that many rounds? Who are you going to get into a fire fight or running gun battle with? I'm serious with this question so please don't trash me.

Centerliner, Pasquanel and Rifling82 like this.
  11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

My primary carry pistol has a 15 round capacity. It is the factory capacity of the size of firearm that I can both, conceal well in most circumstances AND actually shoot well. I have an LCP. But I don’t shoot it as well as the larger pistol.

With regard to a second mag. It isnt really about the extra rounds as having a spare working part in the event the primary mag has a problem.

Yeah, not highly likely.

I can always use fewer rounds than the capacity of the mag. On the other hand if 6 rounds of .380 doesn’t stop someone because I miss with some, I might like more rounds and not have them.

Centerliner likes this.
  12. Rentacop

The odds are against it but if you took on a team of bank robbers or an active shooter on the move or a couple of terrorists wearing body armor----come to think of it, pass me my spare magazines !

13. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

The only time you can have too much ammo is if you're swimming or on fire.
    Seriously, I carry two spare mags under the other arm to balance my shoulder rig. If I'm carrying my HiPower I have 46 rounds on me.
    If I'm carrying my SP101 I have 15. :p

Ghost1958 likes this.
  14. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

My minimum capacity is 2 rounds of 45 Colt.
    I seldom carry this, but sometimes do.
    Any perp who finds himself staring down those two gaping bores and doesn't stop dead in his tracks is just plain insane.
    And at close range, last-ditch distances two rounds of Buffalo Bore 45 Colt will stop a gorilla.
    And don't laugh ... this little cannon can easily keep both barrels in center-mass at 20 yards.
    BOND 45 COLT.jpg

15. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

29 rounds of 45 ACP. 14+1 in my Kimber Polymer target that are Speer Gold Dot 230 JHP +P, and the 2nd magazine is Remington 230 FMJ of 14 rounds.

16. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Until lately I mostly carried a Ruget American Pistol in 45 acp plus a spare mag and BUG.

Now with protests every sunday in town, "homeless people " inhabiting an abandoned cabin here all of a sudden, and the very real possibility of running into a group of white BLM wannabes on some backroads that's changed.

Still carry the 45, spare mag and bug. Plus a sr9c.
    In the truck is an AR 15 with 5 loaded 30 rd mags. On protest days the rifle and spare mags get carried on body as well.

17. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

My single shot guns. Next would be my 6 shooters. Lowest cap semi is my Taurus 380 on mag is 7 shot. The other is 8.

Rifling82 likes this.
  18. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

When I carried my RO Compact, I was quite satisfied with 6 round mags. Today I carry a P365 with 10 round mag. I typically carry one spare mag.

Rifling82 likes this.
  19. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Two magazines of eight 9mm rounds each for my Sig 210.

20. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

What's the least amount you're comfortable with?

17 Rounds

What's the least amount you'll actually carry

15 Rounds

I used to carry 17 but recently lowered it to 15, gun is a little lighter now.