What Is Your Minimum Capacity

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Trunk Monkey, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

My rule is to carry the highest capacity gun I can legally carry and comfortably conceal.

My upper limit is 15 rounds by state law so that's what I carry. The primary reason I chose a Glock 19 over a Glock 17 is because I can't legally purchase a standard magazine for a 17. So I never even considered a Glock 17.

I am completely comfortable with 15 rounds and a reload. In fact most of the time I carry 13 rounds and a reload. My lower limit of comfort is 10 rounds.

I reached that number at o-dark-thirty one morning when five crackheads walked out of my apartment building and surrounded me. Nothing happened, they were nice and baked and wanted to look at my dog but I was a little freaked out.

It happens I was carrying a Shield when it happened and 9 didn't feel like enough. I bought a 9C by the end of the week.

If I absolutely can't conceal anything bigger I WILL carry a Ruger LC9 rather than carry nothing but that probably only happens once or twice a year.

So I really have two questions:

What's the least amount you're comfortable with?

What's the least amount you'll actually carry

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

5 rounds. S&W Mdl 36 revolver.

3. Donn

Donn Well-Known Member

My usual EDC is a Shield 45, 7+1 with one spare mag. I haven't had to draw down since Vietnam, so that's been more than enough. I do have other higher capacity carry options if, as J.B. Books said, my insides tell me to. Haven't needed more so far.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    7point62 likes this.
  4. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm not gonna carry a full combat load-out every time I go downtown. If I can't get it done with what I've got, I'm not doin it right.

5. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought Active Member

Comfortable with: 12 rounds
    Will actually carry: 8 rounds (theoretically. I've never actually done it, but I feel like I would drop down this far if I needed to for some reason.)

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My small carry pistols are 7+1 but I am comfortable with 5 in a revolver. If I sere an LEO I would want at least 15 but I am not and I dont go looking for trouble.

7. Trunk Monkey

I realize capacity is the main question of this thread but I never carry a reload because of any concern about not having enough ammunition. I carry a reload because the magazine is the weak link and the part of the system most likely to malfunction and replacing the magazine will solve almost and malfunction I can think of.

8. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

I carry a Kahr CW40. 7 in the pistol, 7 in my pocket. Little weight so it's not uncomfortable and enough to get me out of any situation short of a zombie apocalypse. I've carried for 20 years and the most offense I've needed was to show the bad guys I had it and would use it. Showing it had them running in fear. Thugs are cowards and usually only prey on the helpless. I'm not helpless.

PaBushMan, Oldoutlaw and JRDallas like this.
  9. Trunk Monkey

I really hope you never find out the hard way that's not true

Ghost1958 likes this.
  10. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Active Member

I carry a 7+1 but I always carry at least 1 extra mag.

11. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Well-Known Member

Six. My BBQ gun is a 1st year Colt Agent. Otherwise 13-15

12. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

I carry a 14+1 in a 1911 in 45 ACP
    and one magazine of 14 more.

13. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

10 in 45 acp
    28 in 9mm

The only reason I dont carry the more effective 357 mag revolver is the low rd count.

14. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

My least capacity pistol I've carried off and on for decades is a "concealable in my fist" single-shot .22 derringer. Not much larger than the key fob for my truck, it's in my hand, not in a holster or pocket more these days than earlier. Business suit or bib overalls, my little buddy goes along just like my pocket knife when other guns have to stay in the vehicle.

Pre-68 GCA, these used to be common. Not so much these days.

15. sheepdawg

Where do you live?

16. Trunk Monkey

Colorado Springs

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

6 +1 is the lowest capacity in a firearm that I carry, when I step down to a pocket pistol. Feel better with 10 or more. Primary carry is 15.

18. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

8+1 for my pistol, plus one 9-round spare mag. Sometimes, another 8-rounder in a pocket - but pretty much depends on what jacket/shirt I'm wearing.

19. sheepdawg

So living in Colorado Springs you're going to explain how thugs act to me while I've lived 65 years in Memphis, Tennessee an every year member of every top 10 most dangerous places to live story???? [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. RaySendero

RaySendero Active Member

Me personally, it's a minimum of 5.

TelstaR and Trunk Monkey like this.