What is your go to gun for a Emergency Semi Auto or Revolver

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by CAMCHAMPION1988, Oct 5, 2011.

1. CAMCHAMPION1988

CAMCHAMPION1988 New Member

Me personally S&W 627 8 shot Revolver .357magnum because revolvers don't jam. They don't have feed ramps,mag springs therefore no failures to feed or eject. The only real thing you have to worry about with a revolver is a
    ''DUD ROUND''. But the odds of you encountering a DUD ROUND are like 1 in a billion ( I am just going off statistics i read about dud rounds ). You can keep a Revolver loaded forever besides a 8 shots of .357magnum that is plenty and then i got some speed loaders ready. I also got a Glock 20 10mm so this would be plenty of ULTIMATE RELIABLE STRONG CALIBER ACTION.
    For a Zombie apocalypse,Armed Assailants doped up on PCP with the worst intentions for you and your family or whatever the SCENARIO is.

What is your go to gun? you got to factor in ammo capacity,Big or small Caliber and Reliability.

2. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My semi-auto Browning Hi-Power. I was lucky enough to find the gun that when I point at something, even at 75 feet away, I hit it. It's even better if I use the sights! Seriously, this thing never had FTF, FTE or any other failures and it feeds flying ashtrays all day long. A gun that inspires that kind of confidence is the only gun I want in a High- Stress situation.

3. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

revolvers don't jam

And teenage girlfriends never get pregnant.

Revolvers experience failure, just not at the same rate of pistols.

That being said, my go to handguns are a G20 and G34, since I keep 12 mags for each. And they are my two most utilized pistols.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

My Sistema 1911. It feels like a part of my hand.

5. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

SA GI Champion 1911 4" with extra-capacity mag

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

One of the 45s, or one of the .357s. Whichever is closer at hand. Although for zombies, the Ruger 22s work well- head shots.

7. OzarkRecluse

OzarkRecluse New Member

Revolvers do jam. Inexperience would only say otherwise; however, they're a good choice.

If you don't want to sound like a noob, I'd suggest you don't make statements like "revolvers don't jam".

8. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

And I'd also have to say, dud rounds, especially in cheaper ammo, happen a lot more often than "one in a billion" I can't look it up at the moment, but there is actually a prime example of such, a swat team entered a building, perp had a gun, and the officer Pulled the bang switch. *click*.
    The primer desensitized because of repeated chamberings
    50's yugo 7.92 ammo has notoriously hard primers.
    22LR, especially the cheap stuff, fails all the time.

9. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

I only own autos now-a-days....3 of them....

Jimmy

10. Shade

Shade New Member

Colt 1911 for me, Rossi .357 Mag for the wife.

When you are half awake, blury-eyed and your head is spinning
    you need to be able to operate your weapon of choice.

FTF, FTE, or other mechanical failures are due to lack of
    maintance or lack of training. They will happen, your ability to
    deal with them under stress could be the difference between
    life or death. The bad guys will not show up when you are well
    rested and the target lighting is ideal. They show up when you
    are tired, asleep and distracted; they hide in the shadows and
    move around. Your choice of weapon is irrelavant, as long as
    you are familiar with it, its operation, and can clear it in case
    of a malfunction and be able to do that in the dark or any
    adverse conditions, like taking incoming fire.

I will add that most encounters happen at very short ranges
    the police train at 7 yds. That is the average range police
    shoot at perps. or get shot at...

11. EagleSix

EagleSix New Member

Shade, the "Educated Redneck" has stated some very valuable points when considering which you prefer, this being only one of them.....
    I have used both a revolver and auto in combat. Both served me well, I'm still here, the bad guys aren't! I grew up with wheel guns and the 1911. In general, I prefer the auto loading pistol in 45 ACP, with lots of ammo, and normally that is what I carry. However, I also have revolvers and use them when I feel it is of advantage.....they are large bore, as in 44 or larger.

More important to me than the make, model, caliber, design......is how well they will perform for me. Me, being the weakest link. My guns are pretty much the same level of performance every day. I'm the one who has ups and downs and needs to keep up on my game. Regardless if I'm shooting a Glock 21, Kimber Royal Classic, Model 29 or Ruger Super Blackhawk......if I experience a failure to hit, a failure to fire, a failure to eject or extract, or a failure to index......it is almost assured 99.9999% of the time, it was ultimately caused by me, and I am the one who needs to overcome the challenge.

Guns don't jam....musicians jam and jam goes on toast.....guns malfunction [it's an old military thing!].

......and, ALL guns malfunction sooner or later whether they be single shot, revolvers or auto loaders. If we are going to rely on a mechanical contraption to aid in our defense, we should learn how to overcome those malfunctions, and above all have a backup and a backup plan, if the malfunction is of the FUBAR type.

12. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

If I could only pick one, I gotta go with my Medusa. Only has 6 shots but with the ability 20+ calibers, im sure I could scrounge up enough ammo to keep it fed...

13. Seven

Seven New Member

G19 (filler because my message was too short)

14. towboater

towboater Active Member

My carry gun is a CZ82. I may start carrying my CZ75b more now that its getting cooler.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

At home the go to guns are his and hers Ruger SR9c's. We can both operate either pistol without hesitation, mags are interchangeable and they are easy to use.
    I have had malfunctions (plural) with revolvers so dont say they never jam. When they do jam, it is usually catastrophic and you are out of business. If any small debris gets behind the star on a reload you wont be able to close the cylinder. The military went to the 1911 because it was more reliable in the dirty conditions on a battlefield.

16. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

My "go to" is neither; it is a pump.

My carry is a 1911, but that is only cause I can't conceal a shotgun worth a damn.

17. shoottohit1

shoottohit1 New Member

My Go to is a sig p229 .40 but it's just to put them behind something till I get to my m&p15 psx or possibly the .338 lp magnum and just take the walls down lol

18. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I carry a j-frame revolver but when there is a possible situation I grab my old hi-power and an extra mag.

19. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

S&W 586 6"

[​IMG]

Sig 226 357sig & S&W 340PD

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  20. shadamai

shadamai New Member

In an emergency, I would go with the gun I feel most comfortable with and can shoot most accurately. That it is my Springfield Armory 1911 Champion (.45 caliber.)