What is your biggest GUN OWNER pet peeve?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by PrimePorkchop, Feb 28, 2012.

1. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

More than anything else, what truthfully gets under your skin on the topic of firearms more than anything else?

Me, personally, it's the know-it-all kind of person. The guy who buys his first shotgun, and is instantly an expert...and tells you so every time you're around him.

Or the materialistic gun owner. The guy who thinks monetary value is the end all when determining "cool factor", worth, or capability.

CORRECTION - Gun OWNER pet peeves. Thank you for pointing that out, C3 =) (if you don't mind, you could add that to the title)44

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2012
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not too many gun peeves. Now, gun OWNER peeves, that is another matter...

First is the "gun snob". If your shotgun did not cost an amount equal to the annual budget for a small town, it cannot POSSIBLE break a clay pigeon or drop a dove. Drives them nuts when I am breaking doubles with a Baker Batavia or Savage. Popping doves with a Flite King can send them into a tizzy.

Second is the 'everbody knows" guy. I mean, everybody knows you can't fire a slug from a full choke barrel, the AK47 can use M16 ammo, and taking one part out of an AR makes it full auto.

Last is the Ranger/Beret/Seal/Sniper/Recondo/Commando who was really an assassin for the CIA (Funny- don't remember seeing him at the potluck dinner we had)

3. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Those folks who are not safe with them! That is what makes me mad! Then after safety comes know it alls and mall ninja types who wear military gear and have never served! Bt want to act like they have been their and done that!

4. vincent

vincent New Member

That there's not enough of them...:cool:

The range ninjas, the jagoffs that shoot either unannounced, while another is shooting, or just have general disregard for range rules. (I shoot at a private range, we have different...better... rules than a public one) Needless to say very few ever get invited over anymore

Open carry "advocates".

5. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

The jerks that used to be your hunting buddy until you took him to one of your honey holes, and next time you went there he was there with all his dickhead friends.

6. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

People who leave their trash all-over at the out-door-open-ranges where no-ones there to pick-up after them but you....and the wind is blowing trash-everywhere...geeze...pick-up after yourselfs people......:(....

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I call them the yahoos, and they are definitely my biggest pet peeve. Guys who sling the barrels of their guns around like the end of a garden hose. Folks who think since they showed up at the range with more guns than you did that they now own the place. The only smart thing to do when they show up is leave.

Further down the annoyance factor are the experts who have read two or three lines about every gun ever made, probably on Wikipedia, might have shot a .22 or a 9mm, and are the authority.

And finally gangstas and wannabes with the sideways 9's and Saturday night specials. Don't know if you can call them "owners", but they should be taken out behind the courthouse, given time to make amends with their creator, then dispatched post haste.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

The newby fanboys.
    "My first gun is a _____________. Therefore it the best gun ever made, and nothing you say will change that."

The scary older fellow who thinks that the RO is being a jerk when the RO asks him to quit sweeping everyone with his pistol.

9. vincent

vincent New Member

Don't hold back Scott, tell us how ya really feel!!! :D

Ya, I forgot about the "sweepers".

We have an instant dismissal rule for the "gangsta" type shooters...although we use different wording...:rolleyes:

10. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I usually move quietly amongst people on the range, streets, and marketplaces. Don't know many with ccw guns, and for those few I do know, I nod, but then move on.

11. fmj

fmj New Member

all of the above!

But above all has to be the "sweepers"...then when you call them out (remind them of the first rule of firearm safety) they laugh it off. :mad:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  12. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I think my biggest gun-related irritant is the attitude some people have when they have a gun in their possession. By far most of the gun owners I have known, met and interacted with are responsible people and have respect for others. There are some people out there who are not very responsible and give gun owners a bad name. They seem to get a false sense of courage and bravado when they are in possession of a gun. They sometimes wave they guns around and try to impress others. I have heard it said that some guys use the vehicle they drive as an extension of their penis. I think some guys do this with guns. Some of them act real macho with their guns. Some guys think wearing camouflage makes them look real tough. Some of them end up letting their mouths write checks that the rest of them can't cash. Once in a while one of these clowns is doing something stupid and someone is injured or killed and many lives are affected. Being at the shooting range with these types around is not much fun. I had one of these guys, a young skinny, scrawny kid with an SKS make fun of my Model 94 while trying to tell me how good he could shoot. I pointed at some objects about 100 yards away and challenged him to a contest to see who could hit them first. He had the 30-round magazine modification and he just started spraying lead in the direction of the target, not even coming close, and I hit it with the first shot. The guys with him started laughing and even asked if they could shoot my 94. Guys like the ones I described represent a minority of gun owners, but they still give us a bad name in the eyes of a lot of people.

13. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Oh yeah, for sure. I have heard this story from lots of people. I knew of a guy who used to ask to go hunting with people just so he could find their hunting spots and go back there with his friends. We kind of set him up. Before the hunting season opened we took him to a place that we knew was no good for hunting, and it was a long drive away. It was also right on the border with an area that was not open for hunting. Sure enough, he went back there with a bunch of his friends and I bet you can guess what happened. His friends were not very happy and they blamed him for the bad experience.

14. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

The logic behind gun laws.

That by passing laws to restrict firearms you are going to have them apply to people who don't follow them anyways.

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I cringe when I see someone pick up a weapon and not check it to make sure its clear . I always drop the mag and check for a clear chamber and even if someone hands me a weapon and has already checked it clear I still do it myself, its a habit . Safety before anything for me .
    I dont mind the brand snobs and know it alls , I have come to the conclusion they will always be there wether they are your friends or not , I just shake my heard and let them keep on talking , I give them the right to their opinion wether I like it or not , I dont have th time of day to argue with someone about what they think is right, wrong or the best , I just take into consideration that it must be best for them if they say it is :D

16. MrWray

MrWray New Member

One thing that makes me shake my head is these guys that dont have any damn common sense but yet they are self proclaimed firearms experts because they watch alot of action movies. Then they make videos of themselves "teaching" firearms proficiency and put them on youtube as the gospel. Then during one of the videos the dumbass shoots himself in the thigh while trying to clear leather

Some peoples children :-\

17. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Ha so you have been to the Princeton range!

You sir hit the nail on the head! I can't stand them as well!

18. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I have a few that bother me, but one of the main ones is everyone who call them "WEAPONS". In this political climate, that is the worst thing you can call them and probably 95% of you do it on this forum. I know, I've complained about it before and have been bashed for it. Guns are tools just like anything else you put in your hand and they are at times used as weapons. Let's call them what they are when we talk about them, such as GUNS, FIREARMS, PISTOLS, REVOLVERS, RIFLES, SHOTGUNS, SEMI-AUTO RIFLES and not ASSAULT WEAPONS. When you (us,we) talk to people, especially non-shooters or newbe's about firearms, please do not use the term "WEAPON", it starts the conversation out on a bad note in their minds, given what has been pounded into their heads in years past by the anti's.

Jim.....................

19. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I have a pretty long list, but I'll just name a few
    *when they pick up a gun and don't check it
    *gun snobs
    *guys that don't watch where they're pointing there gun
    *know it all (I'm talking about guys that when you show your guns they have to tell you everything about them that you already know, it almost takes a nuke to get them to shut up)
    *machine gunners (I'm talking about the guys that have a semi auto and just fire every round they have as fast as possible) me wearing hearing protection is rare...
    *the ones that don't listen

20. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I drive up, peek around the bushes and make sure everyone there knows which end of the barrel the bullet comes out of. Then I'll slowly pull into the parking lot hoping that some group doesn't slug a 6 pack of Red Bull and decide to reenact the storming of Iwo Jima.

Once the DNR started posting range officers on a more regular basis, it improved a great deal. When he's not there, however, it can be pretty hairy.

A membership at Milan RC does have its benefits.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012