what is this?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by MrWray, Nov 28, 2011.

1. MrWray

MrWray New Member

My 8yo son was putting on his boots the other day and found this inside one of them. I mean,i know what it is from reading on it but ive never seen or heard about these. Just needing some education

20111128_141406-1.jpg

20111128_141423-1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Script from WWII when metal was scarce?

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Wow, that's not something you just find in your boots one day. When the military is in foreign locations they don't want G.I.'s going into town and dumping a bunch of U.S. greenbacks into the local economy, so they issue MPC's for use as currency. It helps to control such things as the Black Market on goods by assuring that they are bought and paid for through legitimate sources.

We used them in Vietnam, but I never saw one in anything less than $1.00. It must be a WWII or Korean era MPC you have there.

Now the big question, how did it get into your son's boot??? :confused:

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Strange isnt it? I know that the wife and i didnt ever have this anywhere. He just came from his bedroom and told us that he found it inside his boot. I like collecting old US currency so it will be a cool edition,but it really boggles my mind where in the hell this came from

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I knew it!! :)

8. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Pretty cool thing to find in a boot. I was expecting a picture of a spider or something. :D

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Me too. :p

10. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Series 541 MPC was issued in 1958. :confused:

Series 541 (F-F)
    Issued 27 May 1958 in Cyprus, England, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Morocco, Northern Ireland, Philippines, Ryukyus, Scotland

5 cents (18,816,000)

10 cents (18,816,000)

11. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Well, we have firmly established it ain't a scorpion then. :D

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Thats pretty cool

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

No, thank the lord..

14. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing your son's boots aren't that old...lol. That is a really cool find!

15. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

So Mr. Wray, everyone loves a good mystery, but are you any closer to figuring out how that MPC got into your son's boot? Do you think that maybe he found it in some of his grandpa's stuff and just told you he found it in his boot? Barring a supernatural event whereby it was placed there by a wayward spirit, someone had to put it there. :confused:

16. dmp

dmp New Member

VERY neat, but for the photos? The white balance is off, just sayin'.

17. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

8 years old? There's probably a million ways that could have gotten into his boot, and all of those ways would be purely logical to your son.

18. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Ya, the room i took the photos in has those supposed "5 year bulbs", i produces a slight tint effect.

19. MrWray

MrWray New Member

In this case i dont think that he found it elsewhere. My 16mo daughter is known for putting things in your shoes so im thinking that she found it somewhere and put it in there. NOW, my "alcoholic" mother was just down and she likes to rummage through the container that we have that belonged to my grandmother. My grandmother raised me here and when she past i inherited the house and 40 acres.my mother still considers this my grandmothers house and feels that she can rummage through things "thats a problem in itself" ANYWHOO, it could be possible that this came from the container,found by my daughter,and in the boot it went..

20. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yep, very plausable explaination! The fact that you're in an older house with some older stuff around explains a lot. Someone knows more than they are letting on.

On a side note, our daughter went to an old all women's college in Macon, Ga. where all the buildings were pre-civil war old. She had a mischievious spirit in her dorm that was fond of frequently hiding things that were left out in the open. One day after a long hunt for some hidden items, our daughter scolded the spirit for being so mean about hiding her stuff from her...........and it never happened again. Maybe grandma is still around and left a little treat for your son to find in his shoe?