what is this please

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by MikeBofAZ, Nov 24, 2012.

1. MikeBofAZ

MikeBofAZ New Member

Heres the deal
    I had an employee come to me cause he knows I'm into guns he said he had an old model 330 22lr his neighbor wanted to sell for about a hundred dollars but it was in bad shape and told him to send me some pics when he could. Instead he brings the rifle to the office and I looked at it and opened the bolt and it's obviously not a 22lr and I mean obviously lol I told him it was in awful shape (which it is) and id give him 40 bucks out of curiosity. His neighbor says yes I give him the cash and now its mine. I would like to know what the hell it is I looked at the scope and its a weaver model 330 in 5/10 shape id say. They thought it was the rifle model. And the rifle has a chrysanthemum marking so I think it is Japanese but not sure here are some pics maybe you guys can help me out

ForumRunner_20121123_233234.jpg

ForumRunner_20121123_233310.jpg

2. MikeBofAZ

MikeBofAZ New Member

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Yeah, the ground off chrysanthemum is characteristic of a wartime Arisaka, not a field capture though. The chrysanthemum was the symbol of The Emperor...grinding it off post war was done to save him from the shame of surrender.

4. MikeBofAZ

MikeBofAZ New Member

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Are there marks on the lower hand guard from the barrel bands...the upper may have been lost at some point. Is the barrel exposed?

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

OK...if this is the intact rollmark, it's looks to be an Arisaka Model 44...hopefully C3 or one of the other walking encyclopedia will come along and pin it down for you.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  7. MikeBofAZ

MikeBofAZ New Member

Yes same roll mark

8. MikeBofAZ

MikeBofAZ New Member

Absolutely no markings from barrel bands that I can tell at least i looked for that when i got it too and the barrel is exposed

9. MikeBofAZ

MikeBofAZ New Member

I guess what im trying to ask is was it worth the 40 bucks for the rifle and the scope

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Something looks out of place...that model should have an upper hand guard and a swing out bayonet similar to the SKS. Looks like someone demilled it by removing the bayonet housing and the upper guard.

[​IMG]

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Hard to tell what condition its in...but a working rifle with all the parts and matching numbers it's worth about 10 or more times what you paid for it. All rusted up with mismatched parts it's worth about what you paid for it.

12. MikeBofAZ

MikeBofAZ New Member

So the scope is the only thing I'll make money on probably

13. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

From the looks of it, unless it's a rare collectors piece, not really but don't take my word on it...others here are much more knowledgeable on WWII military rifles and collectibles. The addition of the scope, the removal of the bayonet and the addition of the sling mount under the hand guard look like someone sporterized the rifle or bubba-ized it as the case may be. That pretty much killed all the collector value. On the bright side, the receiver and barrel may be of worth to someone looking to piece together a rifle

Send a PM to C3shooter he'll give you a better evaluation than I can...some more detailed pics of any markings would help as well.

14. MikeBofAZ

MikeBofAZ New Member

Alright it was worth the 40 to have this much fun looking into it and ive read nothing but good things about selling this type of scope and a buddy just looked at it said only surface rust very little pitting which is good for me the lenses are great and the cross hairs are still nice and tight

15. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

I have the same markings on my Arisaka (Japanese), 6.5 cal., cav. carbine, Type 44.
    P.O. Ackley did some testing on these actions and found them to be one of the strongest war time actions.
    The bore should be chrome plated with very shallow appearing rifling (that's how they were made).
    If you're looking to make money on this purchase I'd say it depends on how it shoots as it appears it has no collector value.
    Is the bolt handle altered (bent down and not straight)?
    If it shoots straight it's easily worth $100 to a person who wants a 6.5.
    During the Burma campaign is was favored as a capture weapon to G.I.'s when the ran out of ammo. Can't remember if Gen. Merrill had a couple of these. They stripped them down (took the bayonet off and possibly the hand guard and definitely the rattling dust cover).
    The safety takes a bit of getting used to. When you close the bolt, push on the rear of the bolt with your palm, and rotate it clockwise. To take the safety off, just reverse the procedure.
    I always wanted to sporterize one of these until I found out what they were worth in their original condition and my eyesight went bad.

16. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

If I found any rifle that could be cleaned up and taken to the range, I would feel it was worth more than $40. It is still a rifle. Not just a wall hanger right?

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It is a "sporterized" Arisaka. The front of the stock has been cut back and the top handguard removed. The scope was added here in the USA. Caliber? Take it to a gunsmith. It could have been rechambered/rebarreled.

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It was very common to rechamber these to take a .257 Roberts case. Check out the chamber before shooting it. There is no collectors value in a rifle of this type. The value as a shooter is really very low. It is hardly worth the cost of a box of 6.5 Jap ammo.

19. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

With cleaning that, any shooter, has to be worth at LEAST $40. How can you go wrong for $40 unles it truly is all rusted together!?