·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ForumRunner_20130217_080950.jpg

ForumRunner_20130217_081113.jpg

ForumRunner_20130217_081113.jpg

ForumRunner_20130217_081129.jpg

I have no idea what kind of gun this is. It was given to me from my dad and he got it from my uncle. I believe everything is still in working condition and would like to restore it

Attachments

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Can we see the action from the top & the entire rifle? Kind of looks like a Japanese Carcano............

·
Premium Member
14,298 Posts
The pattern looks like a Gewehr 88 but with oriental markings and a medalian.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Its a Japanese training rifle made from a GEW 88.
From what I read most had the magazine removed, and the sights replaced with Arisaka ones. Yours looks like one of the uncommon ones that still has the mag and 88 sights.

Its a shame the stock has been cut, Probably gonna next to impossible to replace....

I do not know if these trainers are safe to fire.... :confused:

The Japanese would make training rifles from captured enemy ones.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan on taking it by a gunsmith and getting it looked at. Thanks for the info so far guys. What would the caliber be and does anyone have tips for restoring the stock and removing rust on the metal

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Its a Japanese training rifle made from a GEW 88.
From what I read most had the magazine removed, and the sights replaced with Arisaka ones. Yours looks like one of the uncommon ones that still has the mag and 88 sights.

Its a shame the stock has been cut, Probably gonna next to impossible to replace....

I do not know if these trainers are safe to fire.... :confused:

The Japanese would make training rifles from captured enemy ones.
That is exactly what it is..............

·
Registered
798 Posts
It has a nice chunk of furniture, too bad someone cut it down. complete that stock would bring top busk.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[QUOTE="dteed4094;1141999". complete that stock would bring top busk.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was wondering, is if it had been cut. Would there be a site or somewhere to buy one? I've been wanting to try and make a gun stock, this might be my opportunity

1 - 11 of 11 Posts