What is this gun?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by friedmannn, Jul 5, 2011.

1. friedmannn

friedmannn New Member

Hey everyone, I was wondering if some of the gun experts on this forum could help me out a bit :)

My uncle recently passed away, and so a friend and I were going through his (EXTREMELY messy) basement attempting to organize some of his old stuff, and stumbled upon this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now as you can see from the picture, the gun is cocked... My friend is a huge idiot and for some reason as soon as he picked it up, he cocked it. Don't ask me why, but we haven't touched it since he did that.

We know absolutely nothing about guns or anything (which is why we came to you!) and so I was wondering if it'd be worth keeping / selling. Also, is there a way to uncock it without shooting it off? It looks very old and so I'm worried that if we attempt to transport it anywhere while it's cocked, it might shoot or something.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks!!

~Scott

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

To uncock- hold back on the hammer and pull the trigger, then just ease the hammer home while pulling the trigger. The gun looks to be a European parlor/saloon pistol. Commonly called a Flobert(google Flobert). Value might be $100 to $250 depending on condition.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Take the gun to a safe location, do not point it at a people. Keep your finger off the trigger. There is a little gate at the back of the barrel, that pivots around a screw on the right side. Swing that gate up and over to the right. You should be able to see the back end of the barrel, and see if there is a cartridge in there. If so, remove it. When empty, swing the gate closed again, hold hammer with your thumb, pull trigger, gently lower hammer.

Your pistol is likely a Flobert pistol, possibly Warnant pattern . These are NOT intended to fire full power ammunition- they used a cartridge with no powder- the primer alone drove the bullet. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SHOOT THIS. They were used for indoor target shooting. Yes, it will have some value- don't quit the day job, he did not hit the lottery, but they are more than a buck or two.

After weapon is safe, smack your friend soundly across back of head for being a dumbass.

4. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Gibbs slap him.

5. friedmannn

friedmannn New Member

To clarify (I just want to be 100% safe), I hold back the hammer then pull the trigger while its held back, then ease the hammer forward into it's resting position while the trigger is still pulled completely, then just take my finger off the trigger. I'll be really careful doing this...

Do you think it'd be safe to transport while cocked? I'm asking this because I'd prefer not to do this in his basement (if it went off I don't want any bullet holes anywhere), and if I could transport it to an open field which is about a 10 minute drive away, that'd be perfect.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Back yard, pointed to the ground (watch your feet), should be good enough.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

It is most likely not loaded. but just point it at a phone book (or any book) on the floor (barrel can be touching the book). It is a very weak cartridge.