What is this ammo?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by spittinfire, Jan 10, 2011.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I found a pill bottle full of these in a M19 ammo can full of ammo that I got for helping some folks clean out their house after a death in the family. They're the shortest .22 I've ever seen, no more then .25" and the pointiest. There is an acorn on the bottom. Anyone?

DSC_0231.jpg

2. Drriley

Drriley New Member

I think it is a "CB cap". no powder - powered by the primer only.
    (CB stands for conical bullet). very quiet in a 22. with a 20gr bullet
    and short range it has limited use. I have shot some and have heard
    louder pellet rifles.

3. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Dynamit Nobel CB caps.

4. spittinfire

So it's safe for basically anything that would take a short?

5. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  6. spittinfire

It's definately a 22 cal.

7. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

I just know that the flobart come in different calibers.
    In my search I found them in .22 to .32 calibers also several different MM.

8. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Yeah, they'll work in the Flobert style guns and any gun that's too old to fire modern shorts.

9. spittinfire

If you come across any 32 rimfire, let me know. I could always use another box but at $50/50 it gets pricey fast.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yep- as the man said- Dynamit Nobel CB caps- no powder, primer only. I am holding a 100 rd tin of the SMALLER version- the BB cap- round ball, no powder. From a rifle, quieter than an air rifle. Limited power. But an old phone book makes a good backstop for indoor target shooting.

11. spittinfire

So lets say I've got a pesky coon tearing into my trash. Would this do the job at close range?

12. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

It's best to shoot it in revolvers or pistols only. Sometimes it does not have enough power to make it out of the barrel of a rifle, sometimes it does not.

If you do shoot it from a rifle, be sure to check the barrel every time to insure the bullet has not stopped in the barrel. Putting another bullet through a barrel that has a bullet stuck in it will many times ruin the barel.

John K

13. sailor353

sailor353 New Member

Are CB rounds powerful enough to cycle a Beretta 950 Minx?

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

They might have some collector value. For pest control get the newer CB caps from CCI. Looks like a 22 short but less power. I shoot them in the garage and have used them to kill small destructive pests in the past. My Remington pump loves them but my CZ does not.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sailor- do not expect any CB or BB cap to cycle a semi auto. They have no powder- primer alone drives the bullet. However, CCI makes a .22 CB Long (dimensions of a .22 LR, but CB loading) extremely quiet- and a Remington 550-1 RIFLE will cycle those semi auto. Those rifles had a a unique design- floating chamber.

DO not try capping a racoon with a BB or CB cap- you will make him mad, and he will come kick your ass. :eek:

16. Sonnypie

Sonnypie New Member

Does anybody remember BB caps?
    Smaller than CB caps, which were about 1/2 of a .22 short.
    Never shot anything smaller than a short myself.
    But always wondered about the BB and CB rounds.

17. ACRhino

ACRhino New Member

Those will not likely make it out of a rifle barrel and will not cycle a semiauto rifle action. They are great for .22 revolvers but will not sit in a semiauto pistol typical clip for a magazine, though you can manually load them.

If your intent is to shoot a coon with one, carrry something for back up or you will just piss it off and it will eat your testies lol.

18. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

If you want a compairison of power of the CB cap, it would not be much more than a standard BB gun. Although it is much more accurate in a rifled barrel. In the right rifle or pistol and fired at the standard 15 to 20 foot range, they are capable of one hole groups.

Jim.........

19. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Something a bit easier to handle is the Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri - they use primer-only with a light (20gr) conical bullet too, but in a .22LR case. Much easier for my big mitts to handle, and they cycle fine through my Henry lever-action rifle.
    I like to shoot them from my old Tanfoglio TA76 western-style revolver - grand daddy to today's Heritage Roughrider. They do make a 'pop', but the neighbors don't hear me 'target shooting' in the house (note to married guys - the spousal unit will NOT like this!). ;)
    Makes short work of those huge whopping 'Huntsman' spiders too.....
    Totally quiet from a heavy-barreled .22 rifle. They can stick in my tight-bored Win 75T, but work fine from my BSA International Mk.II Martini - really freaks the range guys to see me tripping the trigger of this fourteen pound target rifle, they hear nothing but the 'whack!" on target...... They think I'm shooting some weird air rifle...... :D
    They are NOT a guarenteed kill on furry critters though. I have killed squirrels within ten yards, but I bounced one off a Possum's thick skull at point blank - he shook it off and ran. Gave him the mother of all headaches though....... :rolleyes:

Colibri - approx. 350FPS
    Supe Colibri - approx. 550FPS
    My Red Ryder BB rifle does about 400FPS.

20. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

They will fire in any .22, but only function as a single shot. Took various game out my bedroom window when I was a kid. Head shots only were the only sure kill. Rabbit, squirrels, and even a couple of Pheasants were table fare with them. Memory a little hazy, but I think they were a .22 short case with only the priming mixture in the rim. CB Cap was a conical bullet, and another was with a small round .22 ball. Same as the CB Cap but it was called BB Cap. The BB Cap may have been a touch faster, but neither made much noise. I have seen that CCI makes them (CB) now on both the short and long rifle cases.
    At the time I used the CB Caps, they were fired single shot out of a 22 LR Stevens Model 87. Actually they were pretty accurate short distance rounds.