What is the most painless way of killing a heavily wounded mammal?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by MOSFET-Engineer, Feb 28, 2012.

1. MOSFET-Engineer

MOSFET-Engineer New Member

Assume the animal’s brain more or less resembles that of an average sized mammal (similar in size and properties of the brain of homo sapiens sapiens). EDIT: Nothing is to be fallaciously extrapolated from this: See my response below.
    You aim for the brain point blank, but what angle/impact point do you pick and what kind of round do you use:

A .410, 10, 12, or a 20 gauge slug or a .4 HydraShok AE or a generic .5 AE?

The objective is minimization of expected pain and time to death of the animal. Please establish a ranking on the previously mentioned projectiles based on the objective.

Best regards,

MOSFET-Engineer

Please support the TOR project (https://www.torproject.org/) and browse the web anonymously for free 24/7

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

I would use the 12 slug rite behind the base of the ear. Im not sure how close I would wana be. On swamp people they kill gaters with a 22lr/22 mag. They on shoot em on top of there heads just behind there eyes. There ain't no floppin or nuttin after that

3. MOSFET-Engineer

I read somewhere that the 10 slug has more power.

4. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

No clue on that. I do kinda think a shotgun round at point blank is alittle overkill.

5. MOSFET-Engineer

1. 10 gauge slug
    2. 12 gauge slug
    3. 20 gauge slug
    4. .410 gauge slug
    4. .5 AE FMJ
    5. .4 HydraShok AE

1. Rear
    2. Side
    3. Frontal

I think this is the answer.

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Try an axe between the ears. Works faster and is alot cleaner. Yes 10 ga has more power but short of a 22 lr/mag a bullet is a waste. If you are gonna use a bullet the use a 22 mag aimin either for a shot passing through the area between the ears on top of head or through the side of the head bout 1 1/2" behind the eyes.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

7. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Careful. In Ohio if u are hunting and finish off a hunted animal that way you are technically hunting with that firearm. Yes, I know you have to get caught first, then the game warden had to be a prick. If its a deer, for example, your in trouble by using a .22 or a .40.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

ANY firearm that can disrupt the portion of the brain where it connects to the spinal cord produces what amounts to instant death. There are also spots where a smaller bullet such as a .22 will produce instant unconscious state- which is why slaughter houses use a stunner- controlled impact on forehead is like turning off a switch. Death occurs from blood loss- after being knocked out, carotid and jugular is severed.

Comparing speed of death between rounds that will penetrate the brain cavity is like comparing speed of death from a 20 kiloton nuke and a 20 megaton nuke- if you are inside the fireball radius, it is immaterial.

BTW- here is an article from a friend who is a hunter, shooter, and professor of veterninary medicine. It is one of a BUNCH of good articles on his blog- NRV Outdoors. It details the history of the "Huamne Killer" used by vets and slaughter operations. http://www.nrvoutdoors.com/HUMANE KILLERS/BANG.htm

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  9. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

We would use our hunting knives to the throat. We only had this happen a few times. But once we piped him in the chest to rupture the heart because my uncle wanted to do a chest up mount.

10. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I would use a 38 special +p to the base of the skull where the spine meets the skull, I usually do it to animals in live traps (diseased) but I usually use a 22mag fmj and it kills them pretty much instantly.

11. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

To quote the great Mark Sullivan, "nothing stops a charging buffalo like an ounce of lead to the brain pan."

Nuff said.

12. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

It would help a bunch to know what 'mammal' you're talking about. Their head shape will have much to do with where to place the blow, shot or other means to snuff it's life instantly.

13. MOSFET-Engineer

A deer, bear, buffalo, gorilla or something along those dimensions.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Mosfet- follow the link I gave you. The article on the Humane Killers includes manufacturer's illustrations of the use of the tool on different livestock. Same would apply to bullets.

15. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

Can you pm me the link as well? Even though the knife to the throat works I would like to know other ways as well.

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Cuttin the throat doesnt work as well as folks thinks...it isnt painless at all.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Gorilla? Is it even legal to shoot a gorilla?

The link is posted in earlier in this thread.
    http://www.nrvoutdoors.com/HUMANE KILLERS/BANG.htm

18. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

22lr pistol stuck in its ear....istant death

19. powg

powg New Member

painless death

the brain has no pain receptors ..so a point blank shot to the stem ,top,frontal lobe kills instantly ..as well as painless . a brain shot with the 12 gauge shotgun slug will kill any living thing in the universe at 2feet or less.

20. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

No pain receptors? I can't believe that after that last bachelor party :( ugh