What is the most important lesson you learned as a child.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by rockratt, Mar 20, 2014.

1. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

For me I think it would be respect for others.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That the world does not revolve around me. And to work for what you want in life. Nothing is going to be handed to you.

3. Rentacop

Rentacop Active Member

Probably something my father taught me about law or philosophy ...

He told me you can never trust someone once you've caught them in one lie . He explained why we have open courts and that you can walk in and watch a trial if you want . That sometimes you don't buy something because the price is too high even if you can afford it . He explained what a dictatorship is and that being in the military was like living in a dictatorship ( for him anyway ) . He often pointed out that if two people have a fundamental disagreement, only one of them can be right . He taught me about property rights versus the welfare state and a lot of Ayn Rand stuff . Your animals must be fed before you are . Don't make fun of other people's names . Act like a gentleman in any dispute ; don't make threats to call your lawyer, curse or yell .

My mother taught me to stand up for what is right . Also, to fight back if I am mistreated because it will discourage the perpetrator from doing it to somebody else . Not to be afraid to be a non-conformist . Not to blindly follow tradition . That credit makes it possible for people to buy cars they can't afford and never to do that . To watch out for crooked business practices such as " bait and switch " . She was generally opposed to drinking alcohol and had never gotten drunk , which set a good example . She taught me to use my brain to try to find creative ways to do things or to solve problems .

She passed on social customs too : Don't speak ill of the dead. Clean the house when company is coming . Be generous to guests . Don't correct people's grammar . Be considerate of others . If you borrow something, return it in the same condition and on time . If you have guests for dinner, find out what they like to eat and drink and have those on hand . Wash hands before dinner . Not to eat the last one of anything if guests were present . Not to be ostentatious .

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  4. Donn

Donn Active Member

^^^ Those three for sure. Took a while for #1 to sink in.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

there were many life lessons my father taught my brother and i. from our treatment of others, our work ethic, to standing up for your beliefs.

we were taught to be accountable for our actions and our words. that honor was much than just a word and dgnity was something men of moral character had.

i can't just point to one thing and say it's the most important, simply becasue many of them coincide with one another.

6. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

I think the most important lesson I learned was this: Don't ask questions you can't handle the answers to. That has helped me many times.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If the cycle is to be broken, then I am the one to do it.

I cannot seek help from others until I have attempted to answer the problem or question myself first.

There are plenty of people who are willing to take, but there are also some who are willing to give.

8. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

9. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Never put a hairpin into an electrical socket,,,

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Hmm... some folks didn't learn those life lessons as well as they wish they did.

I don't want to place a level of importance on anything I've learned in life, when it comes to true life lessons. But there's a couple things I've learned here and there that are common sense, yet enlightening at the same time.

Never corner anything meaner than you.

Friendly fire, isn't.

Your Lieutenant is going to get lost. Carry a map. (this applies outside of the military. Think of it as a metaphor)

11. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

Self Reliance

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Never lend more than you would to give to a friend. Would want money to ruin a friendship.

Not in my childhood, but from the military: Remain fluid with plans, because flexible is usually too rigid.

Have a plan, stick to the plan, and have a backup for when that plan goes to crap.

On the limits of intrusive leadership of juniors and a leaders accountability for the actions of junior personnel, it was illustrated very vividly by a Master Chief in a phrase I will now never forget:

"You can lead a horse to water. You can stick his head in it. But you shouldn't be expected to put your own lips on his arse and suck the water up in for him."

13. rockratt

Never squat with spurs on!!!

14. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

You don't tug on Superman's cape
    You don't spit into the wind
    You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger
    And you don't mess around with Jim

-----Jim Croce

15. Rentacop

Rentacop Active Member

My mother bought a Daisy cub BBgun in 1961 for $7 ( today it sells for $20 ) so we could sting a dog that came over to poop on our yard . She told me you must never point a gun at anyone and after that I was free to shoot at my swing set, the charcoal grill, anything that made a pinging noise when hit . I didn't know any other safety rules but that one prevents almost any accident by itself .
    3) Maintain a safe following distance .

I can't remember the other two .

There were some minor health lessons that may have saved my life :

*If you have a fever get everything but your head under the covers .
    *Warm mineral oil softens ear wax .
    *Pepto Bismol works .
    *Use Calamine lotion and cool air to treat heat rash .
    *Don't climb trees ; The other kids do and they get broken bones from falls .
    *Stay out of the sun if you are fair-skinned . Skin cancer is a real threat .
    *Hand washing is the best way to prevent disease spread .
    *There are no minor surgeries ; only minor surgeons .
    *Lifting weights prevents back aches .
    * Stay hydrated .

My mom cautioned that it is easier for other people to drag you down to their level than for you to lift them up to your level .

My mom also cautioned that gossip is a two-way street ; that if you gossip, you will tend to blab as well as learn .

Most important : That there is no middle ground on ' gun control' .

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

On skin cancer being a real threat. Yes it is, and you don't have to be fair skinned. I'm not quite thirty yet and I've had two spots removed from my neck. Doc told me to wear a western hat, and I've JUST recently started doing so (when I traded a chicken sammich for this newest one I have). That was around a year to a year and a half ago, I can't remember.

And now I have another place I'm considering getting looked at. I'm going to give it time to heal and see what happens.

17. shadamai

shadamai New Member

Do the right thing even if no one else is.

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Use common sense.

18. rockratt

Think before you speak but to be honest I don't do to well with that one at times.

19. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Life is uncertain and you're on your own. Become friendly with change and be prepared to switch direction. It's the unusual choices that make life interesting.

20. Rentacop

Rentacop Active Member

Value your family if they are decent people . When you need help, strangers won't house you, transport you or lend you money . Your family may.

Never eat at any place named "Mama's" . I learned that at a restaurant called, " Mama Steve's " .

Be wary of anyone who tells you he is a " Good Christian " .

The wisdom of Bob Dylan :
    " If you're lookin' to get saved, you'd better go back to from where you came ;
    Because the cops don't need you and man they expect the same . "
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    "The lowest level of conversation is talking about people . A higher level is talking about things . The highest level of conversation is talking about ideas."

" The progress of the world is so slow because people don't learn from others' sad experience ".

" Clarity is paramount in good writing : You gotta put it down where the chickens can get at it . "

Note to Trip : Sorry to hear about the skin problems . I wear boonie hats : Used to have a genuine issue Woodland Camo Ranger hat but lost it . The best I have now, ironically, is a Chinese cheapie from Walmart that has a 3" brim . I haven't seen it lately in stores but it may be at Walmart.com . Cabela's has a 4" brim model in their catalog . Solumbra's stuff is overpriced but they sell a complete line of sun gear for the beach . The Tilley hats are worth considering if you want fashion and cache' .