what is the least destructive way to start a jeep

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by mountainman13, Aug 24, 2013.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

When you lost the keys???
    I need to get this thing started so I can get the plow off and decide if it is worth fixing or needs to be parted out.

2. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Is it a manual trans? Can you push start it by popping the clutch?

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If the plow wasn't stuck in the down position. Plow is my main problem. Lol

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

dash mounted or steering column mounted ignition switch?

5. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Without knowing the year it would be hard to say. Probably the easiest would be to run a jumper wire from the battery to the coil and then jump across the starter solenoid with a screw driver. Best would be to replace the key lock solenoid.

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

How about the good old "pull the lock cylinder,

replace the key with a .39(WHOOPS!) make that

$2.89 screwdriver" routine? Always worked on all

the Chryslers I knew of, and Chrysler owned Jeep for

a while, dinnit?

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Steering... and It's a 1990 Lol

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Since I'm a noob. The screwdriver Sounds like the best bet.

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Well battery is dead anyway. Whoever wired the plow obviously shorted it out somewhere. Should be fun to find.

10. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

They still do...:)

11. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

12. Axxe55

well that would probably remove the plow as well!:eek:

13. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I would call a smith & get a new key !.................

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol. Thanks for the input guys.
    I had someone come down and and check it out. I was concerned about whether it was worth working on or not. The engine is a mess but it sounds like its mainly just a gasket and wiring issue. The frame needs to be scraped down and sprayed but it isnt rotted through anywhere. The battery is being tested as we speak. Aside from that minor stuff I just need to weld the front seat frame up and clean and treat a few minor rust spots on the body as well as give it a thorough cleaning. Actually has less then 100000 miles on it!

Attached Files:

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Well, yeah, if it had more than 100K miles on it, it wouldn't run at all. :D

16. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol. If it were any other vehicle I'd walk away. The Jeep is easy to work on and getting 300000 miles out of the engine is not out of the ordinary. Besides with how well they hold value I have no issue dropping $1000 on a new engine in a couple years.
    Not too many 23 year old vehicles out there that can have 200000 miles on them and still be worth $4k-$6k.
    I just wish it was a 4 banger.

17. Axxe55

if you are thinking about fixing it up and keeping it, i would think about getting a new lock cylinder for the steering column or having a locksmith make a new key for it, if you can't locate the original key. new lock cylinder and key are not real expensive nor really hard to replace. they can be gotten at most auto parts stores.

18. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah I'll probably have to do that. I do know a good locksmith.

19. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

My 1991 has the ignition on the steering column, which includes the lever that is required to 'lock' the ignition and steering.

Although you may jump around the ignition switch, you will still have the locked steering to deal with.

Try a similar key, most any key that has a similar blank style. Use the jiggle method (or jiggling method) and get that old tumbler open.

If that cut on that blank style doesn't work, try another cut on the same blank style. if the cuts near the tip are a bit higher, that key should work a bit better. older, jused and loose locks work best with this method.

My 1991 is showing 216,000 on the odoclock.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  20. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

FYI- My dad locked his keys in his truck one day. I took down the serial number and went to a local lock smith. With just the serial number a lock smith that knows his stuff is able to cut you a new key. It cost me 20 dollars.Around here it is not a problem but in some parts of the country they do ask for proof that it is your vehicle.