What is the largest animal a 12 gauge will kill

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Enough Gun, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Enough Gun

Enough Gun New Member

Given the right round aka sabot, slug etc is there any animal aside from maybe a whale or elephant a 12 gauge wont take down?

2. Enough Gun

Enough Gun New Member

I saw that thread but it deals with mainly buckshot. I think a slug/.50sabot is more powerful. I was just doing some research and a .50 sabot can be had at 1900ft/sec delivering over 3K ft/lb ME and 2300 at 100 yards. That is pretty damaging.

3. Enough Gun

Enough Gun New Member

nothing guys?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  4. JonM

JonM Moderator

probably anything that walks in north america. police in alaska often use 12ga slugs for bear defense, putting down moose that have been hit by cars etc.

the problem with slugs is that on tough creatures slugs are nothing more than solid lead balls that do not have much through and through penetration at longer ranges. they work well on deer and such becasue those creatures are thin skinned and often shot at very close ranges.

a good hunting round is one that maintains its weight without fragmentation and penetrates the animal from one side to the other on a broadside hit. this is sometimes problematic at ranges past 50 yards with a slug on very large animals.

5. photopro

photopro New Member

If you are close enough and in the right place you could probably kill a blue whale with a 12 gauge but in all honesty it is hardly the right weapon, nor for a whole host of quarry species. Doesn't your prey deserve a little more repect than I wonder what a bird gun could drop ? You might get it right on occasions but you sure as hell will also get it wrong and all you will do is injure. Whatever you've aimed at is only going to die once at least make it as quick and painless as you can.
    There is a huge range of firearms dedicated to whatever your interest is, it's all part of the fun learning about them and becoming proficient with them before using them on a live target.
    Shotguns have there place but on big boy's targets you need big boys weapons. :D

photopro

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

What is the point of the question?:confused:

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

You all need to get with the times.

Check out Barnes Expander 12 ga sabots with poly tip. Claim 4" groupings at 200 yds. Plenty of energy transfer as they are expanders.

Keep in mind, photopro, the American sense of humor does not translate as the Brit's humor does not either. I doubt anyone would consider taking a blue whale with a 12 ga unless I see one. :eek:

8. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I dont have much experence with shotgun slugs but most common slugs expand way to fast for deep penatration. There are some makers of premium slugs that are made of very hard non expanding metal. This would be your best chance of getting the deep penatration required to take very large animals. Even if the slug in question did have the non expanding properties to take big game, there is the question of the large frontal area to consider. As a projectile gets bigger and blunter the less penatratin it is capable of.

9. CCW357

CCW357 New Member

Just a Brenneke slug or 2 from my 870 will dispatch just about anything that walks on this planet... Thats my opinion...

10. TxG

TxG New Member

If you are close enough, and place the shot well enough, a 12 gauge slug will kill almost anything. But then, a .22 will kill a surprising number of animals, large and small, if you are close enough and place the shot well enough. Your question is far too general. For example, you could certainly kill an elephant with a 12 gauge slug, or a .223, if you put one in an eye, or an ear, or another vulnerable spot, from a few feet or yards away. And even if it takes hours, or even days, to die, the animal is still dead. So...the question is too general.

11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

12. photopro

photopro New Member

Why ??

The question remains with so many superb weapons at your disposal why would you use a bird gun on large game anyway ?? Don't all hunters shoot to kill as efficiently and painlessly as possible ? That said why use a weapon which is going to be a compromise in the majority of scenarios as compared with the accepted choice.

photopro

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

In some States here there are shotgun only regions. I lived in Colorado for a number of years and took my largest elk w/ a bolt action slug gun that I bought in 1976 for $65.00, new.
    Here in NH the South eastern part of the State is shotgun only. Sometimes a compromise is needed.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  14. Jeehs

Jeehs New Member

You Could kill anything with a 12 gauge, or even a .22 you just need the ammo and the right angle. But that doesnt mean I'd go bear hunting with a .22, Thats just stupidity. Really the question for this is, What is the largest animal a 12 gauge can kill logically. ( Hence the I Dont wanna hunt bear with a .22 becuase I dont think youd wanna reload with a Pissed 800lb bag of Fur coming at you.)

15. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

The answer is relative to the distance from the target. You are shooting a very powerful round. The round does not have a lot of range.

16. DavidTurley

DavidTurley New Member

I seen a nature show where a grizzly came in to a camp and was atacking someone it was killed with a 12ga from about 20yds with a slug.

17. DavidTurley

DavidTurley New Member

Not sure I would want to get that close though but they had to deal with the situation as it arose but the 12ga slug, droped him.

18. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Shooting Bears

Ther was a post on Gunboards and one in Gun and Game forums I think posted by the same guy that had shot a inland griz in alaska with a .38 revolver after he had munched on some his dog's