What is the justification for banning FMJ rounds at outdoor ranges?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by CrazedJava, Aug 19, 2013.

1. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Just curious about something. A local outdoor range, Quail Creek, does not allow FMJ rounds at the rifle range. This is a real pain because .223 FMJ is typically cheaper, MUCH easier to find, and the outdoor ranges are cheaper.

However, from what I understand the other outdoor ranges also ban FMJ. Why is that?

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Beats me as so many match grade bullets could also be classified as fmj as not all have that tinny little hp in them.

3. kaido

kaido New Member

That makes absolutely no sense to me. The only range I've ever been to was, that was a "real" one, was in side of a mall. There all they sold/used was FMJ, that was from 9mm up to 50AE.

4. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I've never heard of any range banning FMJ.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Because idiots shoot at metal plates that are too damn close with fmjs and people get hit with ricochets.
    We've been dealing with a new member at our club that claims to be an instructor but can't seem to grasp the rules of the range.
    He insists upon shooting plates at 10 yards or less when the rules clearly state a minimum of 25 yards. He is also dumb enough to do this with fmjs and multiple people have reported being hit by his ricochets.
    He is no longer aloud to shoot plates because he can't follow the rules. Often times it is easy to cast a blanket rule (no plates or no fmjs) than it is to single out the problem people in a group of 1300.

6. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Most ranges will ban any ammo that tends to tear up their equipment, tracers, steel perpetrators and yes FMJ. I like shooting the 62 grain steel core bullets and they will do a lot of damage. Some J.A. undoubtedly tore up their target holders with FMJ and so the rules. Also when shooting steel plates FMJ will go completely through the plates (expensive) depending on distance. (30-06 for example.)

Their place, their rules, if you don't like it go else where.
    Jim

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  7. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

That is actually what I have ended up doing.

However, I was curious as to why all the same. I have not been out there and was going to ask a range officer whenever I made it back. Quail Creek is a pretty good drive though but the closest outdoor range to my house.

Oddly, they do not have steel plate targets at the regular rifle range and all of their target holders are just wood boards. It's pretty simple and cheap. So not getting the justification.

I had heard a rumor that it was for insurance purposes but never did get it verified. Couldn't tell if it was pure speculation.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

We have an outdoor range near me that does not allow FMJ's. They say they have an increased ricochet danger and there are houses down range, over the hill. This range is also well known for their "range NAZI", so I do not care to give them my business. Even the local indoor ranges allow FMJ

9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

All outdoor ranges around DFW prohibit FMJ rifle rounds. They all have a better chance of ricochets,and also do damage to the backstops.
    It also curtails most urban gangbanger types from coming to most ranges,because they have to buy good ammo for their AK's. LOL!

It's all for Safety issues,and insurance purposes. They aren't doing it to just piss people off.

10. randy420

randy420 New Member

The one I go to allows fmj but no plates, AP, tracers or incenerary. Each lane has a wood shack that you shoot from (bench and offhand). 25 yard, 50 yard and 100 yard lanes. The 50 yard lane has a live mouse living inside the window frame on the right bench. The one I go to is in mongo, Indiana. It's a dnr, free to shoot, first come first serve range.

11. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

It would be nice if Quail Creek would just spell out that their insurance prevents them. If I were a business owner I wouldn't bother trying to explain the issues with ricochets and whatnot because you know a "gun guy" is just going to get pissed off trying to argue that point.

However, I never said I thought they were doing it for giggles, but Quail Creek is not exactly known for its friendly staff either. As I said, I've inquired and generally gotten a non-answer.

12. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Because they tend to want to keep going !..............

13. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

That has to be the deafest mouse in the county.

14. randy420

randy420 New Member

I don't know if you can see him but he's in there.

ForumRunner_20130823_190725.jpg

15. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

The range I go to doesn't allow 338 Lapua. It's the only place I've shot my gun though. The president of the range was there with his granddaughters and asked me about it. The ammo box was closed and I told him it was a 308. Never said a word about it.

16. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Some people wet the bed from lying. I don't lie, so what's my excuse for wetting the bed?