What is the ideal handgun to conceal while hiking?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Gunz05G, May 13, 2013.

1. Gunz05G

Gunz05G New Member

Recently I have started to go on hikes with my fiancee and 4 year old son. I live in washington state but sometimes I go to idaho and oregon. We have ran into a couple of coyotes, nothing serious but lately I have been paranoid about running into a black bear or cougar. Please any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2013
  2. towboater

towboater Active Member

I'd want something pretty powerful. For such critters, I'd carry a 44 mag.
    S&W Mountain gun, or a Ruger Alaskan.

3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Big difference in animal sizes. .44 mag with a medium size barrel is my choice if black bears are around. Shorter barrels have more recoil, and the longer barrel helps with accuracy at longer ranges. Check out the various brands to see which feels more comfortable in your hands. I hunt with a full size handgun on my hip. I am able to conceal it very well despite the size. I only have to worry about Russian and German boars so I carry a HK USP .40. It does the job for my situation. If you are looking for a semi-auto, maybe consider a full size 10mm. I hear a cop took out a bear with one shot from a Glock 20. You will get more advise on this thread and many opinions. The question comes down to what you can handle, and what feels more comfortable.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  5. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

When I go hiking (multi day jaunts in forbidding terrain with EVERYTHING on your back), weight consideration is on the gram level. This forces many hard decisions, and the invention of reversible underwear. My lightest gun is my air weight .38 and with the right round can be quite a deterrent/killer.

If a short hike with less weight concern is the plan, my options would open up considerably!

6. 25-5

25-5 New Member

You are not hunting, you are being hunted.
    Generally just leave the animals alone. Do not pet. Coyotes should not bother an adult unless rabid. Bears with cubs, or if you have some smelly delicious stuff in your pack. Big cats in the woods will have your throat torn out before you can say Huckleberry. Do not run.
    S&W 629 with a 4" maganaported barrel. 6" max w/o any scope. Open carry holster and speed loader. Wear a loose open shirt or jacket for concealed easy access. Practice on moving targets at various distances with factory mag loads. Practice is key.
    I would not worry, only a few hikers get eaten.

7. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Cougs will usually not be a problem, i live in wa too, and hike as well. In this setting open carry is appropriate, a 357 or 44 mag double action revolver would be well suited, 158 grain lead semi wad cutter in 357, or 200 - 240 grain lead semi wad cutter in 44 mag. If you are in rattler territory then the shot load ftom cgi in either of the 2 is recommended.

A good used ruger with a 4" barrel.

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Mine? Lower 48!?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MWg-VKO0QA[/ame]

Attached Files:

9. readygirl

readygirl New Member

WOW...You guys hike in some exciting places...worst thing could happen to you around where i live , is maybe getting stung by a bee.

10. readygirl

readygirl New Member

I take that back, crazy PEOPLE are the most dangerous thing you are likely to encounter on a trail around here....

11. readygirl

readygirl New Member

The Ruger Alaskan is a serious chunk of hardware. We had one in the shop a while back. I didnt get to shoot it, but you could probably beat a bear to death with it, It must be built like a tank....

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

RG, nobody's hiking with those N-frame-sized guns. More than once. They're for badaze collectors and fly fisherman during the salmon run...

13. orangello

orangello New Member

[could beat a bear to death with one] hmmmmmm :D
    That would then be a "good bear".

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'm not a hiker but just off what I know about calibers, the two obvious choices are .44 Magnum or 10mm. Those are the conventional choices, but I've heard plenty of people say a full power (or close to it) load of .357 Magnum can handle some types of bear. I like the .357 idea for a little less weight yet still having a reliable caliber.

15. nixfix

nixfix New Member

FNS-9 with +P. I like having the 17 rounds and +P 9mm comes very close to .357 Mag in a number of tests I have looked at. Plus around here (VA) the most dangerous encounter will be humans. Those black bears around here run at the slightest noise. :D

16. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Ideal is tough, a great choice is a 4" bbl. .357 mag., and it would be mine.

17. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

In WV, we are allowed to OC. In a hiking situation...I would certainly do this. I cannot think of a reason to CC....unless it is a comfort thing for you and your family. I will admit that while my wife enjoys shooting my .40.....she does not love to see me OC.... I have told her that she will have to get used to it in certain situations until I choose to get my CCW permit. But I digress....here it is common to see this especially when out on a hike.

18. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

For black bear or cougar, take plenty of power, but make sure to do some practice with your chosen piece to get accustomed to the recoil. And don't take something so heavy that it makes your back ache from balancing it on one hip or shoulder. A S&W model 29 with a 4" barrel would be lighter than a Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk. I carry a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Magnum, with a 6.5" barrel (46 oz) in a shoulder holster in cool weather, and a S&W model 58 in .41 magnum (42 oz) with a 4" barrel in warm weather, for coyotes, bears, and wolves. They are a little lighter in weight than Redhawks (54 oz) and Super Redhawks (64 oz), but pack plenty of power.

19. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

It really depends. When I go hiking I often try to keep my pack is light as possible. I often carry a ruger sp101 or a ruger lc9. I used to carry my super black hawk .44 but its kind of hard to rock climb with a cannon of that size. I live in Colorado and have encountered bears, rattlesnakes, cougars and coyotes. If any of them got close a warning shot scared them off. (Besides the rattler, I had to put him down.) In my neck of the woods im more worried about 2 legged predators then 4 legged ones. If you do decide to carry a larger handgun. Look into a shorter barreled ruger redhawk or Blackhawk. If revolvers are not your cup of tea look into a semi in 10mm 45 or 40. No im not a ruger fanboy it just so happens that all my hiking guns are from them :).

20. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Its ok..Say it..My name is Lisa. and im a Ruger-a-holic... Im a Ruger fangirl....:)