What is the furthest a mosin nagant 762x54r shoot at

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Hdq, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Hdq

Hdq New Member

Whats the furthest in yards that the mosin can effectivly hit man sized targets at?

2. downsouth

downsouth New Member

That would depend on whos shoulder it is on.

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

that would depend mostly on who was shooting it. IMHO the caliber itself is very capable out to 1,000yards. but would most likely need to be scoped for that range and the shooter must also be good at shooting that far

4. vincent

vincent New Member

Between 3-4 counties over...:D

Yeah, I'm a bit of a wiseguy...

Lots and LOTS of variables...

If I was forced to guess, I'd say, with the stars all in alignment, a 1000 yd shot is not beyond the realm of possibility...but keep in mind, that's just a guess...:cool:

Look at that!!! 3 posts at 11:08!!! Cool!!

5. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

The 91/30 will shoot minute of barn at two counties if I remember correctly. It's a very versatile weapon system,it can double as a leaf blower if shot low enough to the ground and a hedge trimmer if shot over said bush.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

In the hands of the average soldier, 350-400 yards.

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Others have pointed out that squad or company-directed fire

at 1000 yards plus didn't have to be that accurate, when

25-100 men were firing a volley.

For single fire, I'll gamble the average Joe, with the average 91/30

would have a difficult time hitting a 12" target three times,

at 250 yards...

...of course, during battle, if you missed at that

range, you could still easily stab the enemy with the bayonet!:D

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A human is wider than 12 inches. In theory, anyway.

For a 91/30 with a good bore, the effective range with iron sights is considered 500 meters. With optics, 800+. Massed volley fire against an area target is about 1500 meters, but can be further. Looked at the numbers on those sights?

If a rifle is shooting 4 MOA, at 550 yards it would hold its shots in a 22 inch circle. Most 91/30s will give better accuracy than 4 MOA unless the bore/crown is totally shot out.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Let me qualify my other statement by mentioning

I'm probably a poorer shot than average.

I doubt I'd hit that 12" target 2 times at 150 to

200 yards.

I would agree that an exceptional marksman could hit

a reasonable target at 500 yards with iron sights, though.

Maybe not with surplus ammo...

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Average Mosin Nagant, in average hands, in average condition, shooting average ammo. 200-300 yds (and they may have t o take a few shots to do it, on average).

As others said, back in 1891-the early parts of WWI, when armies still maneuvered large bodies of men for volley fire to cover an area with bullets falling from the sky, it was effective to well over 1000 yards, but that could be upwards of 50-100 rounds flying in a volley toward the intended target, and that target usually wasn't a single individual.

The Machine gun, smokeless, cartridge firing rifles, long range artillery with better trajectory tables, chemical warfare, and the introduction of tanks and aircraft, put an end to that type of fighting.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  11. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

There's a video on YouTube of a guy hitting a 18.5 in target at 1000 yards. He says its a 32 foot bullet drop. YouTube mosin nagant an its like 5th from the top or so.

12. Hdq

Hdq New Member

He is kick ass

13. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Yea I was pretty impressed. Even when he misses its not by much.

14. powg

powg New Member

longest kill shot by a mosin?

I believe it was during the seige of ''Grad'' a russian sniper shot a german pilot in a recon plane flying about 400yrds off the ground ... the bullet pierced the canvas fuselage into the pilots left thigh ,shattering his femur and femoral artery ,plane flew about 4 miles before it crashed ...so one could say about 4 miles, like the others said it's all about variables:cool:

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

If we're all going to get on the same page here, we need to eliminate

some variables-

SO:

1-Full-size 91/30-

2-Rifling still intact

3-Boxer primed, shelf ammo

4-Iron sights

5-Firing or supported at a bench or monopod,

the average shooter could probably hit inside a 15"

target, at 300 yards? (MOA 5)

IMO, it would be fun to set up some informal

M/N competitions. Like the coaches say "even if you don't

win, it'll be a lot of fun to watch"...

16. powg

powg New Member

mosin

I concur ...........but lets put some skin on it ...take some bags of corn ,pour em out in plies at 100 ,300,400,500,and kill some hogs .

17. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

I don't have my mosin yet, * next pay day* but when I do, that's what I intend to do with it!! :)

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

The round, fired from a pristine condition mosin (is there such a thing?) Can easily hit a 20" target at 1K yards-WITH the right equipment, right shooter, and right conditions.

Realistically, I wouldn't be very optimistic about hitting a deer with irons at anything over 300 yards, and I consider myself a well above average shooter.

Remember too, theoretically, a man could hit a 20" target at 1K yards with a ruger 10/22.

Everything is relative.

19. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes there is such a thing as a pristine bore on a Mosin. Amazingly, the best two, of a bunch that I own, are 1924 and 1925. How these two escaped being shot out baffles me.

Unissued M-39s (Finnish) can be found with new barrels. These rifles also have good iron sights, and outstanding triggers. My eyes are too old, but in the right hands these rifles would have no trouble at 1000 yards.

Not ideal for long range work, but there are a bunch of unissued Polish M-44s out there with new barrels and good triggers as well, but you won't buy one for $99.99 plus shipping. :D

20. vincent

vincent New Member

Got a link??? I'd be VERY interested in one of those...also, how much do you think the overall range would be affected by a shorter bbl?

I have seen 1925-29's with a VERY nice bore, sharp shiny lands, well defined grooves...at least as far as my limited experience can tell so they ARE out there...Now as to why one isn't in my safe...that's a different story...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012