what is the difference single and two stage trigger

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by windjammer69, Jun 25, 2015.

1. windjammer69

windjammer69 Member

I have not shot any two stage triggers. But I am curious, I read where they give a total pull and frist stage pull. So when you pull the trigger for the first stage what happens to keep weapon from going ahead and firing.
    I am starting my second build and I am looking for some input as to what to expect from a two stage trigger.
    The gun I am going to build will be an AR-15. Not sure but it may be a .308 for longer shots on a range. I will probably install a scope as my old eyes are not as sharp as they once where.

2. Catfish

Catfish Member

The first stage pull easier than the second, it a lot like taking the slack out of a trigger. You pull easy and when you get to the second stage it get harder. Ok for bench shooting but when I hunting I cannot tell it`s there.

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The first stage is a longer, lighter pull. At the end of it your finger will feel a tiny bit of resistance. That's where the second stage begins. The final pull is short and crisp, often described as the break.

4. sandog

sandog Member

Someone will come along and say that the military wanted the longer two stage pull to prevent accidental discharges with raw recruits. That might have been the original intent back in the day when the Springfield 03, 03A3, Garand, etc. were the issue weapons.
    For us civilians and modern day competition shooters, and especially when applied to AR type rifles, most feel the two stage trigger has a slight edge for distance shooting. For reliable ignition, especially if shooting military surplus ammo with a harder primer cup, the two stage can be made lighter and still be 100% reliable with all types of ammo. A final pull of 2 or 3 pounds with a two stage is not uncommon. A single stage trigger should remain at 4 pounds or above for reliability.
    The initial movement of the two stage is referred to as "take up" rather than creep, but it is travel all the same. I dislike a long movement of the trigger and like my AR triggers to be the same as my 1911's, lever and bolt actions. A good single stage with very minimal creep or overtravel will feel really good at 4 or even 5 pounds, and I can do well with it.
    It all depends on what an individual likes and what they feel they do best with.

5. windjammer69

windjammer69 Member

Thanks sandog that is what I needed.

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I guess I'm weird but I HIGHLY prefer a set trigger to a 2 stage. Even if it's not a set trigger I still prefer a light, reliable, no perceptible movement single stage trigger to a 2 stage any day. I LOVE the Canjar single set triggers but they went out of business. I like for my triggers to break like a thin glass rod breaking. Set triggers are most easily described by looking at the old Sharps 1874 rifles. They were double set, meaning they had 2 triggers. To set the trigger, you pulled the rear trigger, setting the front trigger, then the front trigger would break with mere ounces of weight. You can also pull the front trigger 1st for conventional weight trigger. Single set triggers are a bit different in that you push the trigger forward to set it & expose a tab sticking out. Then touching the tab will discharge the rifle. You can fire them unset as well by just pulling trigger. An example of 1 of my single set triggers is on a Ruger M77 tang safety model I installed a Canjar trigger in about 28 years ago. Unset weight is an extremely crisp 2#, while set weight pull weight is about 4 ounces. I don't like 2 stage triggers personally but many people do. It's all in what you get used to & prefer.