What is the biggest selling autoloading handgun model?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by hideit, Sep 30, 2010.

1. hideit

hideit New Member

Is it the 1911 or the Glock 19 or 22 or the Sig 226?

Maybe there is another one but I couldn't think of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2010
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

AS a guess, I would say the 1911 and variants. Look at the number of manufacturers world wide.

It sez sumptin about the old gal.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I'd hazard a guess that there's more 1911s and clones out there than the others put together. No I don't have proof, that's why I said it was a guess.

4. General_lee

General_lee New Member

At least around my neck of the woods, it seems to be a tie between the 1911 and the XD as the most sought after pistols.
    Glock is rarely mentioned except by the die hard fanboys, and Sigs are just too expensive for us poor Georgia boys.

5. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

Worldwide - Glock

USA - 1911

I bet more glocks are sold but I doubt one particular model over the 1911

6. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

A political swing on Glock vs XD :rolleyes:

I am no glock fanboy either I would much rather have a M&P but go into any gun store and count the stock of Glocks vs Xd pistols.

I am not saying XD is not as good because they are but do they sell more than glock..? come on

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Man! Another thread with Glock love/bashing against 1911 love/bashing? :confused::(

I need a friggin' vacation from the Interwebz.

Based on shear length of sales, the 1911 would win. Based on current sales, worldwide, the Glock is probably the easy leader based on military and LEO contracts and their pricing.

You can't compare a purchase based on what the most people buy. Remington's 700 model ( boltgun ) probably has more models in use than a lot of other boltguns combined. That doesn't make it the best.

As for the love/hate-1911/Glock threads lately....

Attached Files:

8. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

Funny thing is Ive noticed a sway in the 1911 vs Glock BS.. Less koolaid all around. this thread has gone well with everyone agreeing for the most part.

Based on the statement that just because something is popular doesnt make it best. does that mean 1911's and Glocks are overrated? :D

Theres alot of guns out/coming to the market and alot of them are as good or better than both.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The OP asked about specific Glocks, specific Sig, and general 1911, and which is the best selling.

Is the M1911a1 platform over rated? In some instances, yes. In a lot more instances, no.

How many other companies make a Model 19 or 22? The XD was not in the original question.

10. hideit

hideit New Member

what is the biggest selling model

yes I know it is a fact that glock is top world wide and their entire line as a whole is number one in the usa also
    however for a single model i am guession you guys are guessing correctly also--- the 1911

11. hideit

hideit New Member

what is the biggest selling model

you are correct - i didn't put it on the list because i know it is way way down the list - study the ATF data published each year and you'll see it.

heck - the XD couldn't sell before springfield bought it and is spending a lot of money advertising it.
    i know the Glock 19 and 22 is the biggest sellers of glock by a large majority and i have read that 32% of LEO have Sigs but didn't know which model

12. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Thank you JD, I couldn't have said it better.

13. spittinfire

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I will. :mad:

Anyone that thinks that there are more Glocks, and clones, having been purchased since inception than 1911 and it's variants is delusional.

No way. Bottom line. Absolutely no way. Ever.

JD

15. spittinfire

Come on JD, that didn't make you smile at least a little?

I do agree with you but still, not even a curl in the corner of your mouth?

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

No. Not even a little. I grow sick of these threads & even sicker of the reports generated by them. :mad:

Misinformation, opinions stated as fact and out right lies are beginning to creep into a forum that has tried very hard to make sure the information contained here was factual and could be verified.

There is a reason we let "hot" threads run much further than a lot of other forums. :cool:

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Who ever started this crap AGAIN. I got one thing for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

End of thread Please LOCK it down.

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have never, EVER, seen someone work so hard at being a fanboy douchebag.

This forum gave G37 every quarter, let him run on and on and on about all his shooting buddies and all his experience with very little fact ever being given.

He stated his opinion as fact over and over and over again - and today it would appear the high horse got a bit too high.

If you like Glock, great. If you like the 1911, great. If you love both, or either one, great. No one here is disputing that.

When you want to talk out of your ass and state your jaded little opinion as fact - we have to call a spade a black card from the deck.

19. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/colt production.htm

This chart only covers up till the end of ww2.
    Anybody feel like adding these up?:p
    Looks like in 1943 alone there were nearly 500,000 1911's made
    1944 over 500,000.
    Thats over 1,000,000 produced in just two out of its 100 years in production:eek: