What is the biggest animal you've shot and killed with a 22 LR

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by akms47nagont, Sep 29, 2013.

1. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

Just thought this would be an interesting question to ask
    And if it were legal what would be the biggest animal you would shoot it with a 22 LR

And as for what I've shot with a 22 LR .to date nothing

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I hope people aren't shooting large animals with a .22. It's important to use the right caliber for the hunt.

3. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

A really big crow or a squirrel

4. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

No...I lied. Helped someone slaughter a cow one time. A 22 behind the ear and she fell drt.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Before the air hammer was common most large animals were put down with a 22 LR. It's not a hunting situation in a slaughter house. The person who puts the animals down would stand on top the chute to position himself for the shot. Most cattle were shot between the eyes at a distance of less than 10'.

6. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Several hogs for butchering. 3 deer, a bunch of wild dogs, and a cow. Had to shoot a hog twice once as he turned his head just as I pulled the trigger.

7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Thanks Winds. Luv ya!

8. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

A couple of small pigs with my BRNO .22 ................it was all I had in my hands at the time.

9. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Mostly only shot Birds, Rats, Squirrels and Bunnies with my 22. The Pigeons hated to see me coming, (the roofer didnt)!

10. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Groundhogs and racoons. Some of them get to be around 25 pounds or so.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

You have hunted deer with a .22?!? :eek:

12. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

A 22 is an extremely deadly round, most people don't realize how deadly they really are! I heard a guy in a gunshot one time say "just a little 22". If memory serves me correctly, I think there were more people murdered with a 22 a few years back than any other cartridge...I may be mistaken though. But like everyone has said, just because a 22 can kill a buffalo does not mean you should use it to hunt buffalo. Leave the 22 in the safe unless you're going after small game or plinking.

Did I do good all you ftf old timers??? :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist :)

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Hunting? Groundhog.

Shooting? Hog. About 400 lbs, at 10 ft. Part of slaughtering your own livestock on the farm. Put a pan of water on the ground, hog will start to drink. Draw imaginary line right eye to left ear, left eye to right ear. Put a 40 gr solid where they cross, and the animal will drop as if you cut the strings of a puppet. Followed immediately by sticking the carotid and jugular, and it's all over.

14. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

I understand Mossad used .22's for assassination (w/subsonic bullets and a silencer).

15. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

Of cause the little .22 is deadly Bobby Lee Swaggert head shot old mate while in a canoe on a lake with a wind blowing at 200yds with 1. :D

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

squirrel and rabbit are about the largest i ever used a 22 on.

17. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

A very large and Stinking skunk about 25 lbs 2 shots tried a 243. Once. but it was too powerfull. was left with skunk pices all over the place

18. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

While "hunting" the biggest was a fairly large jack-rabbit.

When ever we trap wild hogs we use .22 to put them down. The biggest I've shot was about 150lbs. Pretty big for our area.

19. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I read an article where I think Israel was using 10/22s for crowd control BC they thought is wasn't lethal. They were shooting people in the legs...needless to say after several died they quit using them.

20. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

And have an old bath tub of boiling water near by.;)