What is the best powder for cast 40 cal bullets.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by jwjessup, Feb 28, 2013.

1. jwjessup

jwjessup New Member

I have been using 4.6 grains of bullseye powder for my 180 grain cast .40 bullets. The kick is generally okay, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper and less recoil powder but equal accuracy for USPSCA and IDPA service division legal loads?

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Around my neck of the woods, Bullseye is about as cheap as your going to get ($17-$18 per pound last time I looked, for a 1 lb bottle, local retailer.) TiteGroup & Red Dot are similarly priced, as is Unique. I like Unique a bit better in .40 S&W. A bit more room between min & Max loads. But due to larger charges, it's going be slightly more cost per round. While, noticeably more $$, Accurate #5 is an excellent powder for .40 S&W also.
    Sorry, but Power Factor I can't speak to. Ditto with "felt recoil."

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

For .40 cal.
    HS-6
    AAC#7
    Power Pistol
    Herco

4. GilaDan

GilaDan New Member

I have used 5.0 grains Bullseye with the 180 gr cast for a long time. Very accurate and the recoil seems 'in the middle' for me. I would encourage you to try 8.0 grains Blue Dot - have some real nice groups. Unique has done good as well. Planning on testing with AA#5 and AA#7 soon. Good Luck

5. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I've alternated between Bullseye and Power Pistol, but prefer Power Pistol.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I use Titegroup for all my pistol loads. I have found that it works well in 40 for me.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

4.5 gr Red Dot over a 175 gr TC cast bullet for me.

8. locutus

From the safety point I will not use any powder (Bullseye, Red Dot, Titegroup,) that will not overflow the case with a double charge.

Especially in high pressure rounds like .40, 9MM, .357 Mag, etc.

9. grandpabear

grandpabear New Member

I use Titegroup for all my pistol loads also. I purposely double charged a case of each cal. to see what it would look like, and you can def. tell. Make a habit of looking over your charged cases and you will be fine.

10. locutus

That will work on a single stage, but I, and lotsa others use progressives. :p

11. grandpabear

grandpabear New Member

That is why I love my single stage and have never yearned for something more expensive or faster. Not being a smart a%# here, so please don't take this wrong. I trust my equipment and the components and powder I use because I am in complete control of every stage. If I have a failure there is no one or anything to blame but me. I don't like the idea of not using a certain powder because it's dangerous or my equipment might double charge a case. Any dbl. charge is really dangerous. I really enjoy reloading and don't care if it takes me a little longer to make 50 rnds. When I take them out to shoot, I'm 100% confident they will all be safe. Again, please don't take this all wrong. To each his own.

12. noylj

noylj Member

The most accurate powder I have found for three .40s is AA5. The best powder for max performance and accuracy is Silhouette.
    If you want a lighter recoil (generally this is not really light, but rather slower recoil impulse) you would really need a heavier bullet (not really recommended for .40, but still many do use 200gn bullets and load longer). If you can find it, try Solo 1000.
    Progressives: the Hornady is the easiest to inspect the powder charge as the charged case is under your nose. The hardest to inspect are the ones with a bullet feeder that puts the bullet on the case before it reaches the seating die (where, with some body twist, you can inspect the case). What the bullet feeder people need is at least one more station for an RCBS Lock-Out die before the bullet feeder station.
    TiteGroup is generally NOT very good with lead bullets.

13. locutus

I understand what you're saying.:)

But when I go to the shop to load, I expect to load at least 1000 rounds per evening. Often 2000. for that reason, I demand of my powder that it overflow if doubled.

You would be surprised how much control you really have with a high speed progressive. I sure was!:D

The other factor in play is that I load full power factory duplication loads. I never load reduced power. The slow burning powders are a must for those loads.