What is the best kind of speed loader for concealed carry?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by LightningLoader, Jan 21, 2013.

1. LightningLoader

LightningLoader New Member

I just got my concealed weapons permit recently (for obvious political reasons) and I carry a .357 magnum. I got an HKS speed loader to go with it and I am not hugely impressed. I understand that the nature of reloading a revolver is inherently slower than something like a 1911. But the bullets wobble inside the loader and sometimes I have to shake the loader to get the rounds in the cylinder. Are their speed loaders that don't have these kinds of issues? And more importantly, are there other negative sides to speed loaders that I am not seeing? Everyones input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ross_The_Boss13

Ross_The_Boss13 New Member

Why do u need a speed loader if u end up using ur gun the average distance of a engagement will be like 5 to 7 feet if u can't stop the guy with less than 2 round or if u can't shoot that well ur more of a danger to the public if ur shooting at someone and should be carrying a weapon (no need for a speed loader)

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, i always used HKS but speedloaders are hard to conceal---

4. deadeye

deadeye New Member

I carry a revolver and ditched speedloaders for speedstrips a while ago. A little practice and they're almost as fast as speedloaders, plus they're a hell of a lot easier to carry every day. If you've never used them I recommend checking them out. They are very inexpensive, so not much invested if you decide you don't like them.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  5. scottmac

scottmac New Member

If they're available for your gun, try the SafariLand loaders.

Instead of a big silver twist knob on top, they're spring loaded & latched ... so you feed the rounds into the cylinder and push to release 'em. Very quick and clean.

I used them for Python & other Colts and a S&W M27 & 586.

They cost a little more but they are that much better then the HKS (IMO).

6. fupuk

fupuk New Member

If you dont mind me asking what weapon do you conseal?

7. deadeye

deadeye New Member

This is an absolutely awful reply. In more ways than one.

8. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I would say plus one on the speed strips. I always found that when using a speed loader not inserting the rounds all the way when using the speed loader allows for them to drop much quicker into the cylinder. I would stick the in 1/3 way and turn the lock to let them drop in.
    It's not perfect and then again maybe that's why I sold my S&W mod 60.

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

There is no comparison between speed loaders and speed strips. Speed loaders are much faster. I used to compete with a 586. I used the HSK and Safariland brands, Safariland is a big step up. I highly recomend them.

Speed loaders do take practice. I used to practice by having 3 speedloaders full of dummy rounds. You could use snap caps. Do not use live rounds. I would have the loaders on my belt and the gun already loaded with the dummies. I would draw, empty the cylinder, reload, empty the cylinder, reload, empty the cylinder, reload.
    I would do this over and over again.

I would never advise someone else to not carry a reload.

10. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I recently got a good deal on a used pair of speedloaders for my ruger. Ive been practicing a little but using live rounds sketches me out too much to try it fast. Do you have a lead on dummy 357/38spl rounds?

11. Ross_The_Boss13

Ross_The_Boss13 New Member

Springfield XDM 45 5.25 competiton is a little bulky but amazing and accurate

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Speedstrips. Yes, they are slower- but they lay flat in a pocket, and my speed loaders do not. Do I carry reloads? Oh HELL yes! I still carry a Mdl 36 on a lot of days. 5 shots.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Have you any combat experience?

14. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Look on Amazon.com under 38 snap caps

15. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Get some snap caps they are cheap, or if you reload or know someone who does you could make yourself some dummies, just stick a bullet on a empty case.

What does this have to do with speed loaders? :confused:

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Nothing. He made a pretty... strange statement and was asked what he carries. Apparently if you can't neutralize a threat with one shot then you're a menace to society. Says the guy carrying a gun that (I think) comes standard with a 13 round mag. That's 13 bad guys, one shot, one kill. Must be one helluva an "operator".

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAXlT3ZLzs[/ame]

18. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

You beat me to it. I have been carrying them for 30+ years when I carry a revolver. :D

19. phildenton

phildenton New Member

S&w 36? My favorite snubby of all time, wish i had the money to get one.

Back to topic, what, if any, is the size difference between the hk and safariland speed loaders?

Also to op: ive noticed the same issue, i went to putting 38 +p cartridges in my speed loaders, made it a bit easier to reload the revolver for me.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  20. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

I have used both and my preference is speed strips. With some practice you will be able to reload as fast with the strips as you can with the speed loaders. The strips are easier to carry and allow you to load empty chambers while you still have still have live rounds in the gun. Take my advice for what its worth. Your mileage may vary.