What is the best home defense ammo for a Maverick 88 6 shot?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by rstarlin23, Aug 14, 2011.

1. rstarlin23

rstarlin23 New Member

Just purchased my first pump shot gun for home defense. Im wanting to know whats the best self defense ammo to get? Brand? I need to know the exact name and everything because I will be getting it today. Thanks

2. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Im a hunter so I keep some winchester super x high brass #6 in my shotgun, im sure others will chime in with their suggestions, but this is just what I keep in mine.

Gersty

3. Gripsmeister

Gripsmeister New Member

Doesnt matter the manufactor. 3 inch 00 buck and 00 buck only. Serious stopping power serious damage plenty of power. Accuracy isnt much of an issue point in geleral direction pull the trigger and tear it up. If you want you can run slugs but aiming is an issue in the dark.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  4. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

I am going to disagree with you here and this is why. Have you ever tried 00 buck at 10-15 feet? It shoots a hole almost identical to a slug. Saying you only have to point the firearm in the general direction is misleading. You have to aim, it's just not as critical as say a handgun. :D

5. aandabooks

aandabooks Active Member

That's why you've got five more in the tube. Eventually you'll zero in on the bad guy. I can't imagine doing anything more than messing my pants on even a close miss from a load of 12 gauge buckshot coming my way. So rack it and repeat.

6. tCan

tCan Active Member

Have to agree with dave here, that's a terrible strategy. And you can't make accurate followup shots if you're dazzled by the recoil. Spend some time with the gun, shoot a couple dozen hand thrown clays a couple times a year to keep yourself familiar with shouldering and firing the weapon. It'll cost you about $100 a year to do this.

Shoot your clays with #8 shot and shoot the bad guys with 00 buck or some other specialty load designed to cause massive trauma. (Do know that the 00 will kick harder, so be aware)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  7. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

Don't know if there is such a thing as 'the best', but FWIW, for bedside, I'm keep an alternating load of #4 and 00 in my -88

Rufus

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I keep No 4 field in my 97, 6 of em.

9. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I got 6 3'' Winchester 00 buckshot rounds waiting in the shotgun within arms reach of the bed. I also got a box of slugs and 50 more rounds of 00 buckshot sitting near by.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

you and dave are on point here. a lot of people ask the same old question, over and over. what's the best ammo for a shotgun for hd? most of these people go and buy a gun, load it up and stick it in the corner and hope they never have to use it. well my philosophy is take it and shoot it, and try different types of loads. set targets up at different distances and find out how it patterns with different loads and different distances. then you will know how it patterns. every shotgun is going to be a little different in how it patterns and the recoil will be different with different guns and loads. when you find something you like and will suit your needs, practice with it from time to time to stay familiar with it. when an occasion should arise that you might be in need of said firearm, maybe you will be ready for it.

11. Axxe55

another point maybe needs to be made here, even birdshot at close range will kill! try your gun out at 15-25 feet with #7 or #6 birdshot! set up some drywall scraps and try shooting it. i try my weapons on different materials to test penetration and damage. i will go and get cracked windshields and try out various handguns to see which ones work the best. also old car doors and tailgates work well too. i like to know what my weapons can and can't do. knowledge is power!

12. Sloth88

Sloth88 New Member

I've got me a mash up in mine starting with a 2 3/4 hollow point rifled slug then 2 sellier & bellot 2 3/4 00 buck then 2 more hollows. Thats what I had layin around

13. Axxe55

i will add my final thoughts to this discussion. OO buckshot, slugs, birdshot, doesn't matter how big or small your projectile is coming out the barrel. what matters is, being able to hit what you aim at. this comes with practice and lots of practice. practice will aquaint you with your gun and make you more confident it what it is capable of. a shotgun is a good hd gun, but is no good unless you are capable of hitting what you aim at. if some hopped-up meth head breaks in your house, he probably won't pay any attention to the shots fired that didn't hit him. so practice, then practice some more!

14. Sloth88

Sloth88 New Member

Axxe55 is dead on, practice, practice, practice. Repeat, intimidation of racking one in the chamber or a miss-fired slug will never keep you or your house safe. Know what your doing and any round can be lethal with that first shot. I practice religiously with my guns

15. Axxe55

thanks sloth. i believe it doesn't matter what round you fire, if you can't hit your target, whether buckshot or birdshot, it's a miss! which is going to do more damage to the BG? a miss with OO buckshot or a hit with birdshot?

16. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

At in the house distances of 6 to 15 feet I doubt it makes any difference what 12 ga load you use. Dead is dead. But I can see an advantage to 00 buck in that if you grab your shotgun and end up outside you can make killing/incapacitating shots at longer ranges- maybe up to 40 yards.

17. Axxe55

well said, hiwall. i agree 100%. another point i will make, barrel length and choke size will determine the shot pattern. my winchester SXP Defender doesn't have screw in chokes, but is the size of a full choke i believe, and has an 18" barrel. realisticly, it is pretty much a short range weapon. every gun is going to pattern differently, and every ammo will be different. my advice, take some different types of ammo and set up targets at distances that are close to what you would need for that gun and shoot it. then you will know what works and what you can expect from your gun.

18. Axxe55

here's my home remedy for the BG! winchester SXP Defender 12ga, 18" barrel.

Attached Files:

19. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

What does that accomplish? Sounds like it just means there's a 50% chance that when you pull the trigger, you're going to just be tossing an ineffective load :p . If a 250lb guy is charging you with his shoulder down, those #4 pellets aren't going to make it past his bicep. After he brings his other arm around to whack you with that bat pipe he was carrying, then he'll have to hurry to the hospital before he bleeds out ;) .

*edit*

#1 is the smallest buckshot that will consistently penetrate decent amounts of flesh. Any smaller and you are only increasing your risk of the pellets reaching the vitals.

I always went with 00, but I'm absolutely not against slugs (even the low-recoil kind that are about like a birdshot load).

[​IMG]

20. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

[​IMG]