What is the best deal on ammo right now?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Todd_, May 12, 2012.

1. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

Wondering what's out there. Can be .223 or 5.56, steel or brass, matters not. Bulk is better. Let me know if anyone has seen something great that I may have missed!

(I have around 30 milk jugs and assorted other plastic containers like water bottles I want to have some fun with :-D)

2. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

steel cased Tula from CTD. I don't care for the place much but saw they had 55 gr FMJ Tula for $109 per 500. It's an average price but most are out of stock.

3. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

You have a bad experience with CTD? I've always received my ammo in no more than three days. You're the first I've heard that doesn't like them. What happened? (if you don't mind me askin') it's been awhile since I've used them, and I'm wondering if they have slipped?

4. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I have received quick shipping on ammunition as well. My issue is their prices. Example: The latest catalog lists PMags for $19.97 (no window) $21.97 (window). That's rediculous. It's them taking advantage of the ill informed.

5. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Around here Walmart has the best deal on ammo, next is the back-door ammo and sport shop right down the road.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  7. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Damn! I haven't really paid attention to their mags and stuff...that's higher than a gun show.

Now that you mention it, back when I was buying M80 from them for my AR10, it started out @ $16.00/20, and as the "ammo shortage" of '08 & '09 kicked in, it went to $25.00/20 rds. I stopped buying it from them specifically because of that. Hell, thats what m118 was going for at other places. (when I could find it anyway).

Was just curious...thanks for reminding me of that. :)

8. billt

billt New Member

I just received the new Natchez catalog for this month. They have really good prices on everything. 9 MM for $9.49 a box, (10 or more). .223 / 5.56 MM in all brands and bulk amounts. The ship fast and are excellent to deal with. If you subscribe to their E-Mails they'll send you a monthly catalog.

www.natchezss.com

9. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

Not bad, but I paid 4.97 for a box of 20 rds .223 federal black box at walmart. Now, I havent shot it yet can anyone tell me if thats a good. Its my first Ar. : )

10. billt

billt New Member

The general rule of thumb right now is anything in .223 that is brass cased, boxer primed and reloadable at $300.00 a thousand or under is a good deal in today's ammunition market.

$4.97 X 50 = $248.50 per thousand. You did well. Buy more at that price if you can afford to!

11. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Federal black box? Are you sure it's not Tula? Can you post a picture of the box? The Walmart closest to the house sells black box Tula for $4.97 per 20.

12. homelessguy01

homelessguy01 New Member

I'm finished with CTD aswell their shipping is extortionately high, aim is far better.

13. jimjc

jimjc New Member

Check out www.ammoseek.com it`s a search engine where to buy all ammo around the country. It`s a good site that list the ammo from the cheapest up so it`s easy to use and find the cheapest.quick...Jim

14. kycol

kycol New Member

Best I found is Tula ammo at Walmart

15. Sickofnotliving

Sickofnotliving New Member

If you dont mind steel cases, walmart is the leading supplier of ammunition for my town. I remember when they dropped 7.62x39 tula down to $3 for a sales event, they couldnt actually meep up with demand. But if you get to know the sporting goods people there, they can order you bulk. I pick up 10 boxes of 762x39 every few weeks, only spend $50 plus tax.

16. Sickofnotliving

Also, i believe the tula .223 and 9mm are boxer primed, steel cased, but technically reloadable

17. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

Steel ammo isn't reload able.

18. Sickofnotliving

They are, 2 firings max, usually after that tge cases crack. Dont believe me the , search the forums. They all basically say the same thing. Steel is just harder on the tools and are a pain, but it can be done.

19. billt

billt New Member

That doesn't mean it should be. They will destroy steel reloading dies in no time. They can and will crack Carbide resizing dies. Even a steady diet of Nickel plated cases will scratch both Carbide and steel dies. Steel cases will damage them beyond repair. It would serve no useful purpose to attempt it.