what is magnum ammo

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by fadisahouri, Dec 5, 2012.

1. fadisahouri

fadisahouri New Member

hi every one
    i just purchased my first shotgun remington 870 tactical, i dont know anything about shotgun ammo i just started reading i learned about the sizes i purchased 3 1/2" ammo 00 buckshot then i found out that my shotgun can only shoot 2 3/4 or 3 (that what the barrel says)
    now i wanna buy some ammo i wanna make sure that it is safe to shoot with my shot gun, my question is about the 3" 000 magnum buckshot is it safe to shoot this ammo with my shotgun ? and why they call it magnum what does magnum means and what the deference between amo same length and size but one says magnum?

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Magnum refers to the pressure that a particular cartridge is loaded to in relation to it parent or progenitor cartridge. For example a .357 Magnum is derived from the .38 Special, likewise the .44 Magnum of Dirty Harry fame is derived from the .44 Special. In the case of shotgun shell the 3 1/2 and 3" shells are referred to as Magnum in relation to the standard 2 3/4" loads. If your barrel is marked 2 3/4 and 3" both can be safely fired...the 3 1/2" cannot. Be forewarned, the 3" 000 buck will knock you on your *** if you are not expecting the power that it delivers...pull it up tight to your shoulder and don't let it slam back on you. Bruising is pretty much non-negotiable. :)

3. fadisahouri

fadisahouri New Member

thank you that helped me... and what does it mean when the write low recoil i mean when they say that does it mean it has less power than the same size and length tha doesnt say less recoil?

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

yes...recoil is the opposite force of the round firing, to reduce recoil without changing the gun requires less power in the round.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Magnum in a shotgun is different than Magnum in a handgun or rifle. In a handgun or rifle Magnum equates to higher velocity and pressure. In a shotgun Magnum generally means heavier payload at comparable velocity/pressure. A standard 2 3/4" 12 ga shotshell will have a payload (weight of shot) of 1-1 1/2 oz. A 3" shotshell (pretty much all called Magnums) will have a payload of up to 1 7/8 oz.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It's amazing how much more manufacturers get into 1/4". A 2 3/4" 00 buckshot has 9 pellets. A 3" 00 buckshot has 15 pellets. With slugs you have a choice. Some brands like Winchester Super X have the same payload with another 1/4" of powder. Other brands put larger slugs in 3" hulls.

I would spend a little time at a site that advanced filtering so you can compare loads. Sometimes the 3" gives you more bang for the buck. Other brands don't give you anything that makes the round more effective.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

FWIW, thre have been different terms to indicate higher power/performance over the years. At the end of the black powder era, the term Express was used- as in Express Train (high speed transit). Magnum is a term used to denote a bottle of wine that is larger than a standard bottle- and was used to denote the higher energy cartridges. At times, Super (.38 Super) were also used to designate the "new and improved" cartridges.

To the OP- read what is on the barrel of your shotgun, and stick to that ammo. Just because it fits into the gun does NOT mean safe to shoot. A 3 inch mag will fit into a shotgun meant for 2 3/4, but is not safe to shoot.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

And, IMHO 3" ammo has a purpose. Waterfowl hunting and dangerous game. Two legged vermin are not that tough. All you get from 3" buckshot is a thinner wallet, more recoil and slower followup shots.

9. fadisahouri

fadisahouri New Member

10. fadisahouri

fadisahouri New Member

and one more question is the recoil from 3" 000 more than 3" 00 or slug?

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

Between 000 00 and slugs in the same shell dimension it depends on what shot weighs more. A slug tends to be heavier than buckshot of either weight so will have more felt recoil.

It takes more effort to get a heavy projectile going than a light one. So there is more force exerted on the firearm from firing a heavier shot load. Also the faster something is launched as in "magnum" type loads it also increases recoil over "non-magnum" loads.

12. oli700

oli700 New Member

this is the way it is .....not related to dirty harry

13. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

IMHO any shell longer than 2 3/4 inches is a magnum. And any shell with a high brass base is a hotter load than a short brass base.

14. oli700

oli700 New Member

nope, high brass is not related to charge either

15. 1911love

1911love New Member

Oil700
    My Saiga 12 (stock config.) will cycle high brass, but not low brass. If not related to charge, what is high/low brass related to?

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Magnum in Shot Shells = The maximum amount of powder to the maximum amount of shot............

17. oli700

oli700 New Member

There is a difference between target loads(your low brass) and hunting loads(your high brass)that’s the way you should be looking at it

Your hunting loads happen to have high brass. A low brass turkey load has more energy than a high brass low recoil 00 buck. Will Federal PD133 00 buck cycle your Saiga? (Not in my exp without mods to the gas block)

I can take your low brass or low steel target load and reload a 1650 fps 1 ounce slug in it that will cycle the bolt out of your Russian shotgun, pick up the shell and reload it hot about 6 or 7 more times before I throw it out.

If you do some research, and not gun forum research, you will find high brass was created to help extraction purposes. The loads having the need were high power loads. The marketing began and forever the two have been linked. These days it’s not the case, but people still relate the two because everyone talks about the brass head like it is what propels the pay load

18. oli700

oli700 New Member

huh ? the weights are either 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz.
    The heavier felt recoil of a slug is the same reason a 1 oz slug has a higher pressure spike than a 1 oz 00 buck .
    Solid projo VS. Multiple small projos is the reason the slug recoils "harder" than a load made of pellets. All conditions equal the sold projo will have higher pressure, recoil harder and penetrate farther.