What is important in a forest/urban/snow/swamp environemnt ?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Sunofabeach, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Sunofabeach

Sunofabeach New Member

Hey guys

Im a game designer, and I would appreciate some input about different weapon roles in different environments

Im working on giving basically every weapon in the game different variants
    and they all have a certain theme

- Desert
    - Winter
    - Urban
    - Forest
    - Night
    - Naval
    - Fall

Means there is a M4 as example, and it has a variant for each of those
    settings.

Now i struggle a bit finding the problems such a environment brings as ive
    never been in war under these situations or such.

As example, I have something I really like for the desert theme;
    "Conservation" , giving the weapon more spare ammo, but reduced magazine
    capacity, pointing to "saving food, water, ammo" and being careful with what you have.

All those things dont have be to exactly realistic but plausible, and I would be helped a lot with some experiences you would have or can imagine in one of these environments.

I know that winter is cold, but how does that effect the weapon ?
    I also heard people needed weapons with higher caliber in the jungle as 5.56
    would always be stuck in the plants

Oh, and where would you want to have the possibility to fire semi / 3rnd burst the most (implying you can only have one firemode (full, semi, or 3rnd)

I hope to hear from your experiences / thoughts : )

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  2. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I think you need to get a Girlfriend......:D

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

or several!:p

4. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Just kidding.......Welcome to the forum.....:)

5. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

The only thing that will kill anything in North America is a magnum hunting rifle.

But if you are worried about 2 legged predators, you need a pistol and a carbine.

6. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

My 35 Whelen is not a Mag and it will handle anything in NA!!!:p

7. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Best all around weapon for all terrains and weather conditions is a 12 gauge shotgun. You can load it with various type ammo from bird shot to 00 buck and slugs.

8. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I think a 30-30 lever gun will drop just about anything in North America out to about 100yrds...And i dont think it's considered a 'Magnum" round....?

9. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Thats true...But i learned the hard way, trap shooting in the winter/snow, The action on your pump gun will freeze up between rounds...Rendering it in-operatable...until you thaw it out on the dash/defrost in your truck...Snow melting off the hot barrel ran into every crack and crevis....Sucker froze up solid......:mad:

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

From a military gaming view, RANGE has to be a strong consideration. Jungle- how far do you think you can see- compared to urban, compared to desert?

Second- penetration. 5.56 does not do badly in jungle (banana tree= bunch of celery) but in an urban environment, where you have shooters using cover (as opposed to concealment) it does not do as well.

Third- movement. Which will impact how much ammo you can carry. I can carry a lot more 5.56 than I can 30-06 or 7.62 NATO. In a mech infantry outfit, not as much of an issue as in Light Infantry/ Recon, Spec Ops, etc.

As said- do not overlook the shotgun. At 60 yds or less, a very useful firearm. As is the 40mm grenade launcher (see also M203) at 30-500 yards.

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I wouldn't go hunting moose or elk with a 30/30. I don't know if you have ever seen an elk up close. But an elk looks like a horse with horns. I would want at least a 30/06. I am not one that enjoys following a blood trail down the side of a mountain. I want enough gun to put the critter down on the spot. I don't want to get in a spot where I need a team of sherpa's to retrieve my supper.

12. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

No....I have not seen a Moose, or Elk up close. That's why i put the ? on the end...wasn't sure....lol

13. Sunofabeach

Sunofabeach New Member

Because Im doing my job ? I do not understand the causation

c3 there are some good things already, nice

About the hunting thing, or general forest environment combat - You would rather engage from afar and not find as many close encounters, is that a more or less fair assumption ?
    And urban is more about CQB right ?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  14. JimRau

Not so. A rifle can do as good or better CQB as a shot gun, but a shot gun, no matter what 'load' you use has a very limited range compared to a rifle!:D

15. JimRau

If you go after the 'big' bears with a 30-30 you had better have my 35 Whelen or a 338/358/375 Mag backing you or you will not fair well!!!:confused:

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Folks- as a courtesy to the poster, could we please stick to military usage as opposed to hunting?

To the OP- a lot of tactics will be based on line of sight/ line of fire. Open terrain, a tank can engage another tank at 3000-4000 meters under ideal conditions. Now, when was the last time you were in a city where you could SEE 4000 meters?

Jungle- not only do you have vegetation and changes in terrain elevation that blocks line of sight- it gets DARK in triple canopy jungle! I mean in the middle of the day.

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Just for full disclosure here I have no military experience. But I do love to shoot.

What is the base premise of your game? Are the players rebels who are fighting a military force? Is the military force domestic or foreign? Are the "targets" all human or are you planning on including hunting for food in the scenarios? If load-out is a major concern I would look at the newer hotshot rimfire calibers like .17HMR, .17WSM or the like. Cost and availability is a concern there though. But you can place a shot pretty well out a long ways with a good gun, but you can't depend on it to kill a medium to large animal with one shot unless you have exceptional ability to place your shots well (not to be confused with accuracy).

Many factors would come into play here. If it is just a simple military game then you need to look at what the military uses. In Afghanistan for example, the 7.62 NATO is pretty much the desired round as 5.56 in an issue weapon is not going to reach out as far. Then they have the big magnums like .338 Lapua or .50 BMG to really get out there and do some damage at a distance.

Personally, I live in the mountains of California where we can hike into town in a couple of hours and if I were to select some guns that I would like to have for a foreign invasion I would like to have both rifles and pistols in the same caliber as the invading forces use. I would also like to have something that shoots 5.56 and .308 as that is what our military uses. Probably I would go for a Ruger Mini-14 or some sort of AR15 variant for the 5.56. The .308 you have many choices, but I would choose an M1A1 myself. Some would go for the AR10 which would also be a good choice except that it is not a mil spec gun AFAIK.

Handguns? Glock would be a good rugged gun. I don't really like shooting them but they are reliable. I prefer revolvers myself. That is a whole other debate though. Probably .40S&W but for the weight. 9MM would be a better choice for that reason, but then again you get the big debate on caliber preference.

Anyhow, i hope this helps.

18. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

Also we need to know will this be Lone Ranger style, team based and will there be logistical support? If it involves a team how many team members are there? How long are there missions, single sequence or will it be a multi day mission? Will your game be a fast paced action shooter or will it be based on stealth? Lastly, I'm assuming your working with a indi company or this is part of a college project or else you would be working with real professionals because of your multi million dollar budget. Since that isn't the case, will this be mobile platform, PC or major console (maybe Steam)? Reason is, how technical do you want to get, how many lines of code do you want for this piece of the game?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

19. JimRau

I am not into this video game stuff so I will pass on this one.
    Bye:rolleyes:

20. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

from a gaming standpoint, it doesn't.

but my experience of living & hunting in the cold & snow is you are far less agile because of heavier clothing, boots, gloves, walking through knee high snow, etc. as a result movement takes much more effort, so you will be slower & probably tire out quicker. which means you probably wouldn't want to carry anymore weight than necessary, which in the game would probably translate into carrying less ammo, grenades, & weapons