What is important for NV gear

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by GREGULON, Jun 13, 2012.

1. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

I don't know anything about it but would like some idea where to start.

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I guessing,NV stands for Night Vision!

Anything that you really want to use for hunting should be at least Gen 3,the Gen 1 & 2 stuff really doesn't work that well in my opinion.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

What kind of gear are you talking? Scope,goggles?

4. TV-PressPass

TV-PressPass New Member

I just got my NV up and running this season.

[ame]http://youtu.be/ikqXNtXIZ0w[/ame]

I use a lot of IR illuminators of different kinds to make it easier. On me, on the rifle, on things I stash, etc.

5. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

NV=night vision and I haven't made up my mind as far as goggles or scope, both are priced high for gen 3.

6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

You do get what you pay for with Night Vision,the cheap stuff's around $4K and the good stuff will run you $8-10K for Gen 3.
    Themal Imaging gear will run you a whole lot more!

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I would recommend a scope. Like a starlight. The goggles completely destroy depth perception.

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have a Gen 3 Intevac Nitemate Nav 3 night vision monocular for sale. It is a great unit. The one I have works great, good resolution, it has an IR illuminator. It uses a Litton tube (not the desired tube for a scope application because they don't handle the recoil as well as the ITT tubes do). I am pretty sure it can be mounted on a helmet and I probably have the helmet mounting brackets (almost positive I do). I'm looking to get $2500 for it with an operators manual and all the accessories I can find. Here is a pic

Attached Files:

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Oh, and you have absolutely no depth perception with this thing. it is like using a video camera on one eye and trying to navigate with it. I have tried a binocular NV set but not on a trail or anything.