What is best for skeeters?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by danf_fl, Jan 21, 2014.

What is be remedy for skeeter?

Poll closed Jan 31, 2014.
  1. Purple Martins

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Bats

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  3. Bug Zapper (and a 6 pack of beer for entertainment)

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I am looking at the upcoming summer already.

I want to set up something for mosquitoes and looking at the possibilities.

What's your opinion?

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Purple Martins are bug catching machines. The problem is their house needs to be in an open area where the martins can see for a long way. They also need at least 7 or 8 feet of metal flashing on the post to keep out snakes and other predators.

Bats are very easy to provide a home for. You can build a bat house and put it on the gable of your house. You need to do a little research on how to find the right place to put the bat house, it's not as simple as putting the bat house on the south side of the house. I have an active bat house. I gave up on books and other sources of information. I put up three houses. The bats live in house on the north side of my house. A friend had the same experience. The bats can't handle 100 degree heat in a south facing house.

3. Donn

Donn Active Member

Dan, I can appreciate your wanting to be prepared and that you're a Son of the South, but it's 6 degrees up here as I type. Kinda tough to think about skeeter prevention.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Had a bat house in GA that seemed to help cutdown on the mosquito population.

5. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Martins are tough to get to hang around as JD wrote, Ive had a martin house for years and everything but them takes residence in it though Ive seen Martins hanging around my pond, they are finicky as hell. Bug zappers dont do mass coverage well without lots of power cords running across the yard.

Bats are gods bug zappers, they live out of sight all day and come out like an army of little custodians while we sleep. They can live almost anywhere if they have a place to hide from the light and those places can vary from barns to actual homemade bat houses. You can build them out of lots of things, old shutters screwed together opposing each other with a slight gap make great bat houses.

Were pretty lucky, we have very few of them even with my pond 200' from the house, only about a 2 week yearly Black Fly plague, they burn off pretty quick. Our last home was thick with skeeters and it wasnt much fun to go outside almost half of the summer! Good luck killing the little buggers, may the force be with you!

6. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Try both Purple Martins and bats. In addition, get rid of all the mosquito breeding grounds that you can. That includes anything that holds water like flower pots with no drains on the bottom, buckets, cans, and so on. Add a couple of drops of chlorine to your bird bath if you have one. And make sure you have good drainage around your house so that water doesn't stand after a rain. Then keep a small squirt bottle of Skin So Soft handy and spray some of that on you in the summer before you go out. All that together will really cut down on the skeeter population! :)

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

My father's place is surrounded by swamp. He got a fogger and after 3 seasons the blood suckers were gone.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

8. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The Artic circle :p

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  9. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Plant some chamomile plants. They put the oil extract in candles.

10. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Wild peppermint plants in your yard also help,, it takes a year or so to get enough in the yard to do any good but when I lived by a lake and creek, it helped a good deal.

11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Wrens !.....................

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Okay, so no zapper.

13. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Skeeters are attracted to carbon dioxide from your breath and skin.
    I have used zappers in the past but they mostly kill moths, millers and June bugs

14. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I like bats and PMs. Didn't vote.

Here in Florida, we like Thermal Guard...

16. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I voted for the bats. There are quite a few bats living in my neighbors attic. He doesn't know it but in the summer, right as the sun is setting and the mosquitos are coming out, several dozen bats come out of the neighbor's attic. I like watching them come out and begin to dart all around the local back yards. If you toss a pebble up in the air they will swoop on it to see if it's a bug. They are peaceful and quiet.

I have seen many purple martin houses filled with sparrows and other such birds. I think you'll have better luck with the bats.

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Mexican Free-tail bats in the Austin are are quite famous. Mosquitos are active both day and night. Martins and bats will cover both bases.

A bat house is a great idea. I have a "bat bridge" about a mile from my house, but am planning on building a bat house soon. Our bat bridge has about 50,000 bats, but they need more room. I am going to invite them to live at my house. At least 50-100 or so.

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Mosquitos that live high in the Rocky Mountains and Alaska are very bad. During Spring run off or in slews in some areas losing your face mask can be dangerous. I live in a mountain valley, the village has to be sprayed by air craft every week during the season. :(

19. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Here in Arkansas??

Idk a 12ga maybe. These things get big down here.

I believe the SyFy movie "Mansquito" is loosely based on a hunting story from Georgetown.