What is a varmint?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by GREGULON, Apr 8, 2012.

1. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

I am just not familiar with this and what kind of hunting is it?

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Aside from politicians it is any animal that causes damage to land, facilities or livestock. Pets are included in livestock but both are not necessarily excluded from varmints. Feral animals for example would be considered varmints.

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Politicians, ground hogs, oppossums, stray cats/dogs, politicians, coyotes, bobcats, feral hogs, politician types, prairie dogs, troublesome kin folks, jack rabbits....basically any animal that is a problem or nuisance. Especially politicians;)

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

4. Model70

Model70 New Member

And politicians.

5. headhunter

headhunter Member

Varmits are sorta like my wife's flowers and weeds. If something is growing where she wants it, it is a flower. If it is growing where she figures it shouldn't, it is a weed. Seems like time, place, and activity determine if something is a pest.

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Army dillards too!

7. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

Oh yeah, you forgot politicians.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

How about salesmen and lawyers?

Politician is where lawyers go when they

dry-rot...

9. cottontop

cottontop Guest

In the sport of varmint hunting usually the intended targets are non-edible prolific creatures that are a pest to farmers and ranchers. Long range small caliber cartridges with fast bullets are used usually in the .22, .24, and .25 range driven at over 3000fps. Such rounds include the .22 hornet, .222, .223, .225, .243, 6mm Rem., .257 Roberts, .25-06, and a myraid of wildcat rounds. The creatures sought are usually prairie dogs, woodchucks, marmots, crows, coyotes, foxes, and bobcats.
    cottontop

10. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

Thanks, time to find a Varmint

11. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

A varmint is the boy that picks up your 16 year old daughter on a Saturday night and brings her home after curfew with her hair messed up and blouse partially buttoned.

12. tCan

tCan Active Member

Make sure you check your Regulations Digest before you shoot anything. For example, rabbits may be a pest in your area, but if they have a season as they do in my state, then you'll need a special permit to hunt them year round.

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Thats not a varmint, thats target practice.

14. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

You might want to check your regulations, because, like rabbits, some states require you to have licenses to shoot those. :D

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

How about anti-gun activists?:p

16. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

Anything that's not that good fried!

17. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

There's a two a day limit on those. No silencers are to be used and the shot must be taken within fifty feet with a centerfire rifle. The ideal placement of the shot is the mouth or voice-box area.

Edit: Oops, forgot to put this :D. I hope nobody thought I was being serious. I thought it would be obvious sarcasm was used but you never know.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  18. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

What no 7.62x39!?!? Yer no fun. You fergot coons, possums, and any cat that thinks my horseshoe pit is a liter box.

19. 94browninghunt

94browninghunt New Member

Or you can just clean your guns when hes over to pick up your daughter :).

To OP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varmint_hunting

it gives a good list of varmints

"The term varmint is a US colloquial term for vermin, though it refers more specifically to mammal or bird pests, including:
    predators, such as coyotes, wolves, foxes, or feral dogs, which can kill farm animals
    rodents, such as rats, prairie dogs, squirrels, rabbits, and groundhogs, that can damage cropland or pastures or carry disease
    invasive species, such as starlings, that are displacing desirable native species"