What is a turkey shoot?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by stormyday, Nov 12, 2013.

1. stormyday

stormyday New Member

I've been asked to participate in a turkey shoot at the moose lodge this Sunday, anyone familiar with these? I can't remember attending a moose lodge Ora turkey shoot before, kinda wondering what to expect. Was told to bring the shotgun with the longest barrel I have and a full choke.

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You shoot a shotgun at a target with an X in the center. Whoever can get a pellet closest to the center of the X wins. You want a full choke so you can get as many pellets near the center of the X as possible. A long barrel usually has an edge. If the wad hits the target and busts out the X your shot is null and void, no do overs. A long barrel usually makes the wad tumble harmlessly away from the target.

I have a Marlin Goose gun, 12 ga bolt action with a 32" full choke barrel for turkey shoots. The Marlin has won a lot of stuff at charity turkey shoots.

If you don't have a suitable gun they usually have loaners at turkey shoots. Look for a break action single shot with a 30" full choke barrel. The loaners usually pattern as good as any gun there.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Or the target can be a circle, most pellets in the circle is the winner.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Agree on the good guns for a turkey shoot, however.....

I use a Fox Sterlingworth. Side by side.

Last shoot I shot 5 times. Won 3. :D

5. stormyday

stormyday New Member

Huh, I figured we would shoot clays outa the air or something, it does t make a lot of sense but what the he'll, I'll give I a wirl. I have a model 12 with full choke, an ithica 37 with full choke, a 1300 Winchester 20 ga with interchangeable chokes and an 870 wingmaster 20ga with modified choke, maybe I'll bring the 37 and the 1300 an try each

6. hmh

hmh New Member

I have aslo seen them with a picture of a turkey and the person that makes a complete cut through the neck wins.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

an actual turkey shoot in ye olde days was literally shooting turkeys or ducks or chickens or all of them. they would put the bird in a cage with its head poking out and put it behind a log so all the shooter could see was the head. they were most often held by churches to raise money for charitable works or to fund a church project.

shooters would back off to whatever distance and use a rifle to shoot the bird's head. typically they were held in the fall around thanksgiving each shooter taking turns.

they would also do beef shoots which were highlighted in the movie about sgt york which are similar to modern turkey shoots as described above

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  8. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

The last few I have been too you shoot at a paper target of a turkey in the center of a bullseye target with the X over the heart of the turkey, the bb closest to the x wins. The last one I was at my old 870 won or came in second in every shoot.

Lately around here they have calling them meat shoots and giving prizes of different kinds of meat for each round instead of turkeys.

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Stormy,

Go for it you will have a good time regardless. Usually they have good food there also. Like Coffee, homemade chili, or vegetable, hotdogs, burgers and the like. If there is a little chill in the air the soup is always better! Never won a whole lot of them but had a great time. The other thing we use to do was have fundraiser fox drives even on New Years Day in Indiana. God I miss the old days!

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I have never seen a card shoot in the West. We have a Turkey Shoot here on Nov. 17th. It is always done on a Trap range. The most clays in a relay wins a "bird". :)
    Some clubs shoot rifle and handguns best 3 shots off hand on paper.:)

11. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Ours were a circle with a dot in the center. Closest to the dot wins.

12. dolecs

dolecs New Member

We have them all over here, at least 2 per weekend for the 4 weeks leading up to rifle season opening, you have x amount of guys standing in a line, they all shoot at a target at 50-70 yards away, closest to bullseye wins either a Turkey or a Ham, lots of fun

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The shotgun shoots like the OP is going to attend are for smaller areas. One can build a backstop for birdshot by stacking bales of hay. The sheriffs dept here sent an email with a list of shoots that needed donations of hay and cash to acquire prizes. They want wheat straw because it is light and stacks well.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Shoots here are at 20 yards, very small shot, and the shoots supplies the shell just so there is no funny stuff with the ammo.

15. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

My grandfather got banned from one of the "deer rifle" shoots in western PA back in the 60s. He was told to bring his deer rifle, which in Chautauqua County NY was a shotgun at the time, so he brought his J.C. Higgins 12 gauge bolt. The mods on the shotgun are as follows:

Barrel shortened 2 inches to remove the choke.
    Barrel drilled and tapped for a front post sight.
    2,000 meter Arisaka type 38 carbine rear sight.

From what I have heard, gramps was the last one to shoot in his round at a 12 inch target at 100 yards. Hr flipped up the rear sight, set it to what he used at 100 yards, and took the center of the bull's eye right out of the target. Along with all of the hits from the other competitors.....

I can only confirm that this happened for one reason. One of the guys he was up against was my ex-FIL, who according to him he was the closest before my grandfather shot. If you asked my grandfather, he was playing by the rules. After all, a shotgun is a western NY deer rifle. ;)

And yes, I know that the old J. C. higgens should be out of circulation due to metal fatigue and poor design. My uncle has been using it as a slug gun for several years now, and I am trying to get him to stop doing so.

16. Rentacop

Rentacop Active Member

It makes no sense to take a 20 guage to a turkey shoot because each shell holds fewer pellets and normally you must use the 12 Ga shells supplied by the sponsoring club .

Common shot sizes are #6, #7 1/2 and #8

Never use anything other than a full choke and I agree with the long barrel being an advantage .

Most people prefer a game of luck to a serious shooting match .

Some clubs allow scopes. Some look the other way on cheating, sleeved guns being a problem . Some clubs allow you to bench rest the shotgun .

Turkey shooters often forego eye and ear protection, which is just plain wrong .

Chances of having fun, meeting people and actually winning something are usually pretty good . Chances of turning a profit are almost nil .

I once attended a shoot in which a man named " John Rocks " won a relay after entering several without a win. The announcer on the PA system said, " John Rocks finally got it off " , prompting a lot of laughter .

17. stormyday

stormyday New Member

Well I did my first turkey shoot yesterday, definitely a game of chance. We managed to shoot between rain storms

image-3739927232.jpg

image-4204090565.jpg

image-3823084152.jpg

image-1886146185.jpg

image-2887310801.jpg

Attached Files: