what is a podcast?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bobski, Dec 7, 2013.

1. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

dont laugh. i still use desktop dialup with tail mouse.
    fill me in how pods work?

2. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Okay it's pretty simple. From what I understand a podcast is like a radio show but on demand.

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

You may need broadband for that. The computer will tell you.

4. bobski

is broadband installed in operating systems like xp or vista?
    is podcast prerecorded or live?

5. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I think just prerecorded

6. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

what is a podcast?

its when my Ipod doesn't get a signal and in-frustration I toss out the window! :D

7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

That is funny.......

8. bobski

and just as thought...i go uneducated and siderailed into the new techno world.....

9. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Definition:
    Podcast - A podcast is an audio or video program formatted to be played on the iPod and made available for free or for purchase over the Internet.

Podcasts are shows, similar to radio or TV shows, that are produced by professionals or amateurs and posted to the Internet for download and listening or viewing. Many podcasts are made available for free, though some must be purchased.

10. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Think of it as a talk show that airs once a week (Like GunTalk with Bob Gresham) and you can download it into your device and listen to it at your pleasure, any time of the day.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Broadband is a term adopted from radio. Used with a computer, it generally means the speed at which data can be transmitted. Dial-up is generally DEAD slow. Most cable modems are called "broadband".

If you attempt to view a pre-recorded program- sight and sound, it may take you forever to download it on a dial-up modem- and a good possibility it will lose connection before complete. I just checked the load speed on my cable modem, and it is 22.49 megabytes.

Dial up usually maxes at about 48-56 kilobytes per second. Compare to 22 megabytes a second. Difference between a bicycle and an F-14 in afterburner.

You can use this to try and check your speed: http://www.internetfrog.com/mypc/speedtest/

12. bobski

the only device i have is a desktop.

13. bobski

ok, so who would want to listen to a ftf podcast? is it something you register with or just members etc...? reason i ask is i was asked to be a guest on the ftf podcast.
    i probably will be recorded but never heard, since i dont have the equipment for it.

14. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Bob, do you have a cell phone, or an Ipod, many of these have apps that will allow podcasts to be payed on them.

15. bobski

no. all i have is a long distance phone. it hangs in the kitchen and the cord is 15'.

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

A desktop with Windows XP will work. Long story short, go to the podcast source, sign up, and then if you need any extras, the page will probably tell you. I have not tried radio through a dial up connection, but most likely it requires high speed internet.

17. bobski

i feared that.