Firearms Talk banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
I'd love to have one of those new Springfields, but hell they cost as much as a used car lmao. I think the last time I looked, the pretty basic ones were selling for like $1500+ with the good ones going as high as like $3k, and on places like gunbroker I've seen people try to sell them for something like $4500+.
If you want to put a scope on a standard M1A, it will cost you around $500 for a good scope mount. The cheaper mounts are junk, and won't stay tight or hold a zero.
That's why I would only get one with the M21 receiver if you want to shoot with a scope.

The AR10 style platform is much easier to setup and maintain, plus most don't cost as much as the M1A platform.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Given what I've read of your posts so far in this thread I would say 308 is the best "common" caliber to fit all of your criteria. For the price range you suggest i would normally suggest a bolt gun such as the Mossberg MVP but since you seem to really want a semi-auto then really the only thing that seems to fit well would be one of the PSA AR-10s. I won't leave a lot left over for glass but you can get something and upgrade later.

·
Supporting Member
11,973 Posts
Danny
Springfield has the number 2 top rated Scope Rail for the M-1 A. $169.
But go shopping for a good used rifle. Most guys but them on a whim. Shoot them a little and then they become safe queens. Until they want to trade them for something else or need money.
Gun Shops, Pawn Shops, Classified Adds and others.
There are fine rifles out there and those on line gun sales sight prices are crazy.
I have a scoped M-1A NM and a Loaded Model. The Loaded Model New is only a little over $1795 at Sportsmen's Wearhouse. * Retail Store. You can get a new Springield M-1 A for around $1600. And you would be paying that for a good 308 AR.
And advise! You get what you pay for and if you are like me when I buy I plan on keeping it and it lasting a long time trouble free.;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Danny
Springfield has the number 2 top rated Scope Rail for the M-1 A. $169.
But go shopping for a good used rifle. Most guys but them on a whim. Shoot them a little and then they become safe queens. Until they want to trade them for something else or need money.
Gun Shops, Pawn Shops, Classified Adds and others.
There are fine rifles out there and those on line gun sales sight prices are crazy.
I have a scoped M-1A NM and a Loaded Model. The Loaded Model New is only a little over $1795 at Sportsmen's Wearhouse. * Retail Store. You can get a new Springield M-1 A for around $1600. And you would be paying that for a good 308 AR.
And advise! You get what you pay for and if you are like me when I buy I plan on keeping it and it lasting a long time trouble free.;)

Oh yeah, I have the same philosophy about buying, whatever I get I'm gonna take good care of and I'm gonna hope it'll last me a long time with as few issues as humanly possible haha. Are these M-1A pattern rifles good and accurate? Durable?

As for finding a used one, I'd be up for that, I've been searching, not specifically for M-1As but still, but it seems like this local major gun store has sorta, to some degree, monopolized gun sales around here. Classifieds are mostly city folks selling their .380 pistols and rural folks selling their shotguns, I've been looking through them for months, and the pawn shops in town mostly sell ammo, though there's one place that has a decent gun selection. I check in all the time, but no luck. That big gun store sells used guns, except they do so at basically new prices.

If I was back home, I'd get in contact with my buddies, we all grew up with guns and they got collections that exceed mine when it was at it's peak, but I've moved down to Georgia and don't hardly know anyone around here.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Oh dang, I hadn't realized they were still updating the BAR, I thought you had meant like the old ones from WWII or well the civilian versions I imagine they sold for a while after that I mean.
The two rifles are completely different- just have the same name.

·
Supporting Member
11,973 Posts
Danny

If you have a lot of Buddies back home contact them and have them looking out for you a good rifle. The owner there could always go to a Dealer and have him transfer the gun to a Dealer down in Georgia to do a transfer for you.
You are right as the Biden scare ramps up regarding our 2nd Amendment some guns are going to be getting harder to find and the prices will be going up.
And yes the M1-As are as reliable as you can find. And I have shot my M1-A Scoped National Match Rifle at 1000 yards on several occasions. Never had a minutes trouble with either. Like any other rifle proper care and lubrications is required.
I also have a Rock River Arms LAR 08 and my Wife has a Ruger SR762 Rifle.
To be honest I also love that Ruger SR762 both feel and weight and it also shoots well. As a general rule 308 AR Rifles are a little on the heavy side.
Except for the SR762 and maybe a DPMS AR 308 which in my opinion are the lightest of them.

Reactions: BullMoose429

·
Proud to be an American
3,515 Posts
What's wrong with .22 Hornet?
Absolutely nothing great little cartridge! I killed my first deer with one, you just have to realize it's limitations. Sure with the right bullet placement you could probably kill most anything on the continent. But that does not mean you should, would I consider shooting a deer with a .22 Hornet? No I would not but back then it was all I had and I was very young and didn't know any better.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts