What is a good ruggedized scope?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by hq357, Mar 6, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

I Want a scope that will last a lifetime but less than 300$ it will be going on a ruger 10/22 remington 700 and any other gun i might get down the road so it has to be able to last long a long time be rugged and be able to shoot in the rain any suggestions? Thanks.

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Riiiiiiiiight! ?And I want a private island in the Carribbean:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

3. Cheeseman

Cheeseman New Member

Personally, I have been getting away from scopes a tad as of late. Seems sometimes they're more trouble than worth. IMHO

4. hq357

hq357 New Member

Why is it like impossible to get a good scope??

5. hoovco

hoovco New Member

Under 300$ does not equal ruggedized scope that will last forever.

6. hq357

hq357 New Member

Wow how much does a ruggedized nice scope cost? More than 300$? Damn Thats too much what kind of optic should i get? How much are rugged scopes?

7. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I'm on a budget. Seems the consensus is the redfield revenge, Nikon prostaff, buck hunter maybe, and the crossfire scope. Best for around $200

8. AR10

AR10 New Member

The Billy Joel speaker advice also works on some scopes. On amazon, look at hundreds of scopes, and pick something in your budget with lots of good ratings.

9. lucznik

lucznik New Member

Although it is currently sitting on a shelf unused, I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 (3-9x40, multi-x reticle) that for quite a few years sat atop my Ruger M77 mk II Compact rifle in 7-08 Rem. This rifle is my primary hunting rifle for backcountry backpacking hunts. That scope has seen some truly terrible weather and has been beaten about quite a bit. It has never bobbled. Image quality is excellent, ensuring I could see well before and after legal hunting hours. These scopes currently sell for right around $200. I highly recommend them for anyone on a restrictive budget.

10. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

For every day shooting or just hunting , I usually buy a scope in the 150.00 range. For my purpose I don't need anything better then that. I don't expect them to last forever but heck I still have all my cheapy scopes I ever bought still mounted on the original gun I bought it for. But if I could afford a better scope I'm not so sure I would. Usually I buy Bushnells.

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I suppose you own a "ruggedized" 10/22? If your rifle does not stand up to your reckless use and abuse the scope will not matter any way. The first rule of the rifleman is to care for his arms first. :(

12. hq357

hq357 New Member

Hehe no i take care of my things very well but id also like for it to be able to take a beating if it had too. Accidents do happen and i do not plan on buying more than one scope i plan on putting the scope on other rifles down the road so if its ruggedized and i take care of it, it should be able to last a lifetime get what im saying? Instead of buying a non ruggedized scope and have it last for like 4-5years and drop it once and have the glass shatter everywhere that would really suck id rather pay more money for a good scope that you buy once instead of buying a 250$ scope every 4-5 years haha so what scope are out there?

13. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

How much are you willing to spend?

14. hq357

hq357 New Member

Less then 650&

15. locutus

You can get many damned good scopes in the $ 500-$650 range. Look at the top end Nikons and Leupolds.

16. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I don't think they make a ruggiderized scope. They might have a rubber coating on the outside but all scopes are prone to break when a gun gets dropped or falls down. Scopes that cost more might be stronger and use better metal, optic and hardware but they can break or get tweeked if you drop your gun just right. Thats why when carring your rifle you always protect the scope. Before I bought a scope I would buy the gun which it will go on. One scope doesn't fot all guns.

17. locutus

You can break an M-1 Abrams. But that doesn't make them fragile. a Leupold or Nikon, or better yet a Nigghtforce will take quite a bit of punishment.

18. Cheeseman

Cheeseman New Member

My Marlin 1895 in 45/70 eats scopes with my full house loads without being dropped or abused. After some thought, what do I need a scope for a 150 yard gun anyway? I think we became "scope crazy" for a time. Would I ditch the scope on my 700BDL in .243WCF? Hell no, but that rifle isn't strictly used in thick bush country like my Nort WI

19. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I rather spend a 1000 dollars on a good scope, then a 1000 dollars replacing crappy scopes. The really sad part is you would still have a 200 dollar scope!

20. locutus

What kind of scopes??? My Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H Magnum has the same Weatherby 4X it has 55 years ago. Kicks a helluva lot harder than a .45-70.