What is a good plate carrier?

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by hq357, Dec 14, 2012.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

What color plate carrier should i get? Black, od green, or coyote brown? I am going to be working as a security guard, maybe a police officer later on. i want a vest that dosen't draw attention to the public. I dont want to look like im going to war. what color is best for civilian use?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Vest make you look fat. Ive never seen one that didnt look awkward. I always hated wearing one. Had a hard time moving and getting in and out of the patrol car. Was hard to fight in but it did help with getting punched a little.

Ive always been of the opinion if its your time its your time and a vest isnt going to stop that. Most depts where i live use black

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012

3. Zodiac131911

Zodiac131911 New Member

A inner vest would be your best bet for being concealed. Or research outer vest, they make them in all styles and colors to match most uniforms.

4. racer_x

racer_x New Member

A plate carier as dailey use hmmmmm makes me wonder what war your walking into?

5. hoovco

hoovco New Member

6. hoovco

hoovco New Member

I think they come in OD Green.

7. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Id be looking more towards kevlar or somthing not a plate

8. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

I assume you mean like a molle PC
    Condor mopc. (Modular operator plate carrier) if your on a budget
    they go from $60-$80

If Money ain't a thing go BLACKHAWK! Just the carrier is like $250.... add $800 or so and it will stop a .308

Im an unarmed S/O. I plan on getting my G license (armed )
    In January.
    I the boss asked after seeing one of our armed S/Os with a non load bearing ballistic vest over his uniform if an armed officer could wear a molle plate carrier and convert all duty gear to it.
    He said no.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  9. Zodiac131911

Zodiac131911 New Member

I am currently a licensed armed guard, I wear a safariland lvl 3 concealable vest. I don't see the need of anything more in the area I work at, at this moment.