What is a good handgun to keep in the car?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by hq357, Jul 11, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

I own a glock 19 but it doesn't really have a safety on it. I dont have a ccw permit yet, so it feels a little awkward open carrying sometimes. i dont like the attention, while im pumping gas i will leave it in the car and go and get snacks but im always worried my girlfriends will get curios and pick it up take it out of the holster and not know a round is chambered and have an accidental discharge also the interior of a car in mid july reaches about 200 degrees and im worried about my glock polymer melting i know it sounds silly but ive heard it can happen in the arizona dessert and i just want to be safe. so basically im looking for a gun thats almost like a glock, has a safety, made of steel and is capable of holding 17 rounds or more and be under 700$ any suggestions will be much apreciated :)

2. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Browning Hi Power...
    All steel
    Has thumb safety
    standard mag holds 14 (13+1)
    extended mag holds 22 (21 +1)

3. orangello

orangello New Member

A CZ-75b or -85 might also fit your bill, except for that grip angle on the block.

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

a cable lock through the ejection port and down through the magazine well then around the frame of your car seat.

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Kind of inconvenient when the need arises.

6. RevJammer

RevJammer Member

There is NO Gun that is safe to be left available to someone who doesn't know enough NOT to pull the trigger! If your girlfriend is going to have access to it, you MUST teach her the basics and if she cannot be trusted to NOT pull the trigger at random, DO NOT LEAVE IT ACCESSIBLE TO HER!

I'm not trying to be a jerk... but any firearm that is not under your control is not safe. Other than that, if used safely, any handgun can be left in your car.

7. MisterMcCool

I can't imagine your friends ignorantly fooling with your handgun, but it happens. Tell them it's loaded and to keep their hands off.

8. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

So is leaving it in your car when you are in a store, etc. :D

And with most states eagerly to take away our gun rights these days, leaving one in a car where it can get stolen and then used in a crime, can be a no no to the owner. JMHO

9. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

If you want a good cheap gun you can afford to 'loose', take a look at the EAA witness polymer clones. They sell for 250 to 350 dollars, depending on where you are at. And if you had a Cabelas visa Card and used points You can get one as cheap as 109 dollars. I did.

EAA (Tanfoglio) makes CZ-75 clones, which are a great gun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This cost me 109 dollars in real money, and 200 in Cabelas points money.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

Handy container for such situations: http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV30...=UTF8&qid=1373580818&sr=8-1&keywords=nanosafe

Permit-free car carry in MS means my firearm will be in my car unsupervised at times, but not usually for more than 20 minutes. This basic box should keep somebody busy for that long, unless they remembered the bolt cutters for the cable.

11. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

My dad uses something like that with the box bolted to the frame inside the trunk.

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

I agree 100% with the idea of giving your girlfriend some basic awareness of firearm safety. She shouldn't be around it if you don't already trust her to be around it.

That being said, take a look at the Ruger SR9. I've never shot one, but I've heard nothing but great things from everyone who owns one or who has rented one. And they meet all your parameters, I believe.

13. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

You have the gun you need, the best safety is between the ears.. Like already said, teach her the basics and go from there. Leaving two windows slightly cracked and the bent controls on vent can/will help circulate air. It won't reach temps line that unless in direct sunlight(the gun)

14. MisterMcCool

It is not just one girl. This is a woman talking about her friends being passengers. Doesn't change much, though.

15. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

1) Get a carry/conceal permit if allowed where you are and keep in on your person.... 2) get some smarter friends. Stupid people will get you killed faster than anything. ;)

...as to your last question... RUGER SR or P series highly recommended; http://www.ruger.com/index.html

16. AR10

AR10 New Member

You have multiple basket kittens, untrained in firearms you allow to gun sit as you cat around pumping gas and grabing munchies. Well, doesn't that paint a wonderful pitcher. (Not a typo)

ASAP, get into a firearms safety class in your area. Now, right now, dump these letters in you tube, firearm safety. Start watching, with your harem.

Polimers in your Glock are better at heat resistance than the plastics in your car. It will not do a oz witch disappear routine.

It is extremely unwise to leave an unsecured firearm in your car, for even ten seconds. At the box store, pick up a small gun safe and mount it in your car. Use it.

Round chambered? Open your owners manual and avail yourself with the guidelines offered by Glock for clambering a round for civilian carry. It is not recommend.

You and your friends are in far more danger from your own gun, than you are from the high crime rates in your state, sounds to me like.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I didn't get a CC permit primarily for CC.

1. To ease wait restrictions when purchasing a firearm

out of town.

2. So I wouldn't have to leave my pistol in the car...

18. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Leaving a loaded weapon, of any kind, in a car that is not secured against theft or accidental discharge is a very bad idea.

Install a lock box that is cabled securely to the seat or frame of your vehicle, and/or lock it in the trunk, when you exit the vehicle.

You are creating bad habits that can come back to bite you real hard someday!

19. hq357

hq357 New Member

Yes its more than one woman lol its multiple girlfriends and alot of them dont know i even carry one. and the ones that do ive already told them and we have been shooting im dating alot and i dont think i should tell my date i carry on the first couple of dates lol the middle console is just high enough so it cant be seen from the passenger side id rather let her get to know me then tell her this day and age people see guns as evil or bad or think ur a creep or wannabe mr hero! Lol so im just going to buy a concealable safe and bolt it down in my car or get a mount that locks or a mini vault that i can open with only my key thanks guys theres one on amazon i like :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013