What is a better trigger accutrigger or timney

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by grassmarine762, Oct 23, 2011.

1. grassmarine762

grassmarine762 New Member

Wanting to put a hair pin trigger in my 22 250 and thinking of timney but I've shot accu and like that to.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

accu-trigger is only on savage rifles. what type of rifle do you have? because timney makes triggers for lots of different rifles. is your 22-250 a hunting rifle? because if it is, then anything below about 3 lbs is probably too dangerous for a hunting rifle. a lot of target and benchrest shooters use really light weight trigger pulls because the rifle sits in one position and never gets moved around, so they can get by with light weight triggers.

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If you have to have a better trigger ,Ok but for a hunting rifle the accu-trigger is fine. If you need better look to rifle basix trigger groups for a savage rifle. Good adjustable trigger that will go lighter in pull weight. I have a timmney on a ruger77 mk2 and it also is a very good trigger but not ment for most hunters. And they no longer sell one that goes as light in weight. Go to a savage forum and talk to guys there about your trigger . Some tuneing can improve them but be very carefull.

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

As Axxe55 said,The Accu-trigger is for Savage rifles only.
    If you have a Pre-Accutrigger rifle,Kevin at Stockade Guns can/will install one for you.
    I have a couple Timney triggers in my rifles,they are good triggers.But as others have said,you don't want a really lite weight trigger in a hunting rifle.In general a 3-4lb trigger is great for hunting.

What brand,model of rifle is it that you are wanting to put a new trigger in?
    There are many types of aftermarket triggers you can buy,but they are all brand,model specific.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You might want to check out Rifle Basix. Excellent company and excellent product. Highly tunable and definitely field orientated.

Timney makes a great trigger, I just think Rifle Basix is a better value.

YMMV

JD

6. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

Actually Marlin has a trigger that is nearly identical to the AccuTrigger now. But of course that name is a brand name for Savage triggers. They have 3 different levels of AccuTriggers too BTW.

And if you want the best Savage trigger you can find I'd look at Sharp Shooter Supply. The Evolution trigger is the one the Savage crowd all wants on their rifle but it isn't cheap by any means. The Competition trigger is good too and would be better than the Rifle Basix trigger according to what people say on the Savage board.

7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

That's just a matter of opinion. I'm happy with the factory Accu-Triggers,and the Pre-Accutrigger guns that I've done myself.
    There are plenty of mod's that can be done to the factory triggers,and they will be a lot better than stock,and still be very safe.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

I agree. I have the same opinion. The standard accutrigger on my savage is as light as i care to go. Any lighter and i feel like i lose control of the gun.

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

+1 accutrigger

10. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

All I said was that the people who post on the Savage board all say the Evo trigger is by far the best. As for how light a trigger should be that probably is more about what the gun will be used for than anything else. But the Evo trigger is adjustable.

Personally I don't have a problem with the Target AccuTrigger on my Savage 12 LRPV either. It will go down to 6 oz. but the sear block kicks in every time you close the bolt if you set it that low. About 12 oz. is pretty much as far as I can go and still have things work well.

The Evo trigger will go down to about 2 oz. though. If you're into long range target shooting a super light trigger is a good thing to have. Heck I have a S&W revolver with about a 4 oz. trigger on it. That's in SA mode. It probably has a 5-6 oz trigger in DA mode.

But there is more to a trigger than pull weight. From what I've read the Evo trigger will adjust in about 3 or 4 different ways (over travel, pre-travel, etc.) so that a person can pretty much set a rifle up how they want it. One thing is pretty obvious though. Rifles with the Evo trigger are demonstrably more accurate than rifles with a regular AT or a Target AT. But if you're using your rifle strictly for hunting it's probably best not to go with an Evo trigger.

Again these are things I've read there and a lot of people post the same info. I suppose if you want to argue with someone you should go over to that board and argue with them. I clearly said I was repeating what I had read on that board which was written by people who are totally into Savage rifles. I like Savage rifles myself which is why I read the info there. I think that it might be a good idea for you to hear them out before deciding you know the AT is better. At this point you're just making assumptions. I really don't know what to think. I just know what they say on that board. I also know there is a waiting list of about 2 years to even get one of those triggers because the people at SSS install them and they don't get in a hurry about doing it because they don't hire people to do the work for them. They do it all themselves. With a following like that I'd say they must be doing something right.

I certainly know that there are ways to make the factory trigger better but that doesn't mean it will be as good as the Evo trigger. Sometimes DIY trigger fixes can be trouble as we all know.

11. Axxe55

IMO, any trigger with less than three pounds is getting too lightweight for hunting. when you start getting down to ounces, these should be reserved for target only rifles. also smoothness accounts for a lot. i have had trigger jobs done before that didn't change the trigger pull weight, but were smoothed out, and what a difference it made. i would have swore it was lighter in pull weight.

12. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

A 3 lb. trigger will do just fine but a trigger that can be changed from a 3 lb. trigger to a 8 oz. trigger by simply setting it is a very good idea IMO. For most shots a 3 lb. trigger is fine especially if you're hunting deer or something else with a large vital area. But for that 50 yard shot at a squirrel (with a .22 obviously) or even that 250 yard shot at a deer a trigger like the set trigger on CZ and other rifles is a big help. And I see no reason not to have a trigger that's light as long as it's safe. That's how the AccuTriggers and their imitators work.

13. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I will state that I use a 12oz trigger for hunting I like the shot to suprise me that allows me to focus on the sweet spot an slowly squeeze boom

14. Axxe55

i for one do not want any shot to suprise me. i like to know exactly what my rifle is going to do. IMO, from a safety standpoint there is no reason to have a "hair trigger" on a hunting rifle, and i really don't want one less than 3 lbs. on mine. now on my target rifles, i like less than 2 lbs. and even lower. i know from past experiance, with other firearms that have had trigger work done to them, that without changing the pull weight and just smoothing them out, they felt lighter than before and still had the same pull weight.

15. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I do agree to a point about hair triggers with u but my hunting rifle is what I also use for very long range target shooting I shoot a christensen arms built 300 ultra mag 32 inch barrel leupold 5x20x50 talley rings an bases I shoot it alot at 1000 plus but I have not nor will I ever take a shot over 400 yards on game no reason to make shots like that even tho I am very much able to do so I restrain myself I wouldnt want the risk of a gut shot or worse we as hunters must do our part an make only humane kills thats my thoughts tho

16. Axxe55

:)
    i am vaguely familiar with those rifle as have read about them. but just my suggestion would be to consider a two stage trigger for a rifle that does double duty as a hunting and target rifle. first stage at about three lbs. and the second at under a pound? that way you have the best of both worlds with one rifle. a safer hunting rifle and a light trigger for when you're target shooting. just a thought.

17. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I too like to know when my gun is going to fire. I have recently been doing a lot of shooting with my Mosins and the suprise me when they finally go off, but that is the other extreme, The Mosdin has desensatized my trigger finger so much I have adjusted my Rem 700, Stevens 200 and the Timney in my 91/30 because they were too light. The Rem was so light that if I could feel the trigger it already fired. I decided to opt on the side of safety. If all my rifles had the same trigger pull it might be a different story but I've had more flyers due to too light of a trigger than too heavy. My hands are all bent and twisted due to arthritis so i try to have a trigger that suits me best.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  18. Paperpuncher

Paperpuncher New Member

I didn't know this.....I'm good with the Accutrigger that I have in my Savage, I mean that gun shot 1/2 inch groups right out of the box. I just love that Trigger and can't imagine a better one.

I'm mobile or else I'd post a pic.