what happens when class 3 arms holder dies

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by try2beholy, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. try2beholy

try2beholy New Member

and has not left will or trust? "they have the legal paperwork and tax stuff"

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  2. Yunus

Yunus New Member

If they talk to a lawyer in their area, they likely get the results they are hoping for.

If they get legal advice from an internet forum the results could range from legal firearm ownership to jail time. Although we charge less for our advice than real lawyers :D

But seriously, stop by the introduction section and introduce yourself. Then talk with a lawyer if your looking for legal advice or specify on here that your just curious what people's opinons of the law are. Before you act though, speak with a qualified attorney.

3. RCHanlin

RCHanlin New Member

What he said... Double that:)

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I agree with both responses but now that the question has been raised I'm curious about it myself...

5. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Checking the Form 4 out it states.

But who knows what technicalities exist that prevent this from being this easy or other paperwork required. As far as who would have legal right to it, I think it would fall under the same rules as any other property, which varies state to state.

6. RCHanlin

RCHanlin New Member

One thing I can say (based on experience) is if the person who passes does not have a will or trust set up, all property will most likely go into probate. There would be a trustie appointed by the court to take charge of all the property. If there is family, they would have to hire attorneys and lay a claim to this property. It's really a big mess.

I had an employee of mine who passed away a little over a year ago (86 years old) and he did not have any will or trust that we could find, and trust me, we looked. Any family that he had was all out of state. Like I said, it was (and still is) a mess.

That may not be the case for this situation but it would not surprise me.

Cheers

7. Patrick Sperry

Patrick Sperry New Member

Get a Lawyer

My family has had to address this issue in the past,as we as a family have several C3 items. Get a lawyer,that's the best advice anyone here can give.

8. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

I'm not an attorney, but any possessions of the deceased, depending on the state, will go into probate. Which means the State manages the Estate. It can easily result in distribution of assets to pay estate taxes and loss of estate value.

This could be a bad deal. This is what happens in the great state of Arizona.

9. wildgeese

wildgeese New Member

my niece is in my will .the class 3 dealer told me she has 30 days after my death to get paper work in.....but in reality anything this important go talk to the powers to be....only they will tell you the facts and not bs you...this applies to most things so many do not know jack in this world

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Really? 3 year old thread and the OP has not posted since this ONE, SINGLE POST? We're done

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.