What Happened to TV????

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by TLuker, Aug 14, 2014.

1. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

While out of town this week I have watched some TV for the first time in a year. At home I plug my laptop into my TV and watch Nextflix and Youtube or whatever else I find on the Net. I started that when I first moved into my current house and haven't watched regular TV since. I have noticed that I watch better quality shows and more educational type stuff than I used to but I couldn't believe TV has actually gotten worse in the past year. Seriously what has happened to TV? What is driving the junk they are putting on now? Do people actually like this stuff? :confused:

2. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Lower IQ's.....

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

There are not many sitcoms anymore. They have been replaced with sagas and if you miss an episode, you feel like you can't watch the next one. Every episode ends with "to be continued." Even the crime shows are like that now. The rest are reality and game shows; everyone wants to be a star. :rolleyes:

4. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

I can't bring myself to watch it anymore..I get maybe one hour a week and that's just a maybe...

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I've been asking myself the same thing as OP. The only reason I keep cable at all is sports. I agree, television as we knew it is in decline. This is the age of interactive media. The Internet and the portable wifi devices are killing it. Fewer people have the patience for shared live entertainment, interrupted by commercials.

When I was growing up, there was that panic, we were degenerates because of the TV. Well, here is the cure, my son's buddies hardly pay attention to it.

6. JCS53

I agree with all of that although I would add that the content is pure crap.

7. RJMercer

RJMercer New Member

This.
    Compare the low class mindless low brow toilet humor of 20 years ago with the current top of the heap big name reality tv shows and you can almost see an industry wide concerted effort to either appeal to or to create an even lower lowest common denominator.

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAg1r6zw7Bg[/ame]

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The brow has been lowered :) Yep, they are reversing the course of evolution, going back to the basics... Knock knock... Rasberry farts... And the homosexual intercourse is king... Bwaaaaaaahahahahaha :D

10. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I almost cant stand to watch TV any more....In a 1 hr program, there might be 20min of content. The commercial breaks have gotten much longer. And the first 5min afters the break is a recap of what happened before the break...:mad:. Like we all have oldztimers or somethin......

11. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I think that's the problem. I watch some shows still but the majority of it is BBC and How To shows. The BBC shows actually have a plot and are well written. What I've seen this week on our networks is just junk written by three year olds. :rolleyes:

12. JCS53

Yep..And i am just not into shows making idiots look even more like idiots..I can get all of that I want while out working every day...Seems people love to see other peoples misery and ignorance..I Gave TV up when Obummer was elected the second time....

13. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

AMEN!!

Movies without commercials or I don't watch them. Plus, programs with canned laughter drives me nuts!!!
    Hunting stations at least have hunting gear commercials. I go with Explorer channel, History channel, National Geo. Fox news and that about it.
    Thank goodness for Netflix.
    I like Hell on Wheels but wait till the next night to watch it so I can zip through commercials.

TV is so desperate, everything is now going to be NAKED!!

14. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Funny how you dont really notice the canned laughter until somebody points it out....then its very irritating...

15. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

I don't watch anything "live" anymore. Commercials about every 7 minutes and they take all continuity away from the story. Watch a program uninterrupted on amazon or netflix and you'll see a big difference.

All in the Family, Hawaii Five O, Dragnet, Adam 12, etc. They could do a story. Everything today has pedophiles, stripclubs, hookers, drugs, foul language and graphic gore. It is like they lost all creativity and went with the easy hits.

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

That won't last long. Ever seen a nude beach? :eek:

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

We record all our favorite shows. All we watch live is sporting events and horse racing. It seems to work out to 6 minutes of commercials and 10 minutes of the program. What makes it worse is they show the same commercials over and over.

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

We stream Netflix, rent Blu-rays and have an antenna for HDTV OTA. No cable or satellite. I watch NCIS, Person of Interest, Elementary and sometimes Blue Bloods. Gotta catch reruns of The Rifleman once in a while too!

But yeah, TV is pretty sad lately, a shame with today's 1080x1920 and big screens!

19. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Watched the entire Indy 500 this year and that is the most TV I have watched in the last 5 years combined.

20. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

then...

your watching the wrong stuff. Monday Night is Sportsman Ch., Tuesday I watch the other stuff I recorded Monday(soon when MNF starts I'll be recording sportsman's Ch) Wed. Is "Night at the range" on Outdoor Ch. around that I'm recording the other stuff my wife likes or Im watching stuff On the Computer(do you have any idea how many free movies are on You Tube?!?!?!)
    I also read and Listen to or play music,...:cool: