What happened to the open hammer side by sides?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by stratrider, Apr 8, 2013.

1. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I went on an internet search for a "Coach Gun" side by side 12 gauge with open hammers. All I could find (with hammers exposed) was one gun, made by CZ. Any others out there? Anyone have experience with this one? It has all the features I want except for one; extractors. I want those empties to fly when I open her up. :confused:

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, yeah, there is CZ. And Pedersoli, Cimmaron, Rossi, Baikal, etc etc etc.

3. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

4. stratrider

stratrider New Member

Thanks, but I checked the sites/companies you mentioned and this is what I saw:
    Baikal has side by sides, but they are hammerless
    Rossi currently offers single shot shotguns...
    Cimmaron has a coach gun with hammers that's pretty sharp looking
    The Pedersoli Wyatt Earp is a very good looking side by side. I'll try to dig up some vids and reviews on the Cimmaron, Pedersoli and CZ. Thanks for giving me those company names.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Exposed hammer shotguns were considered obsolete by most of the buying public about 100 years ago.

7. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

And some of the newer Cowboy guns have "simulated hammers". They cock and move, but they do not actuate the firing pins; just for looks. The hammerless replaced the hammers because it was faster. When you close the gun, it's already cocked.